“Stresscation!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shores of Panama Resort

Save Saved
You added Shores of Panama Resort to your Saves list
Shores of Panama Resort
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   9900 S. Thomas Drive, Panama City Beach, FL 32407   |
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Stresscation!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I am going to attempt to be partial and fair to this property as possible. A seperate review will be done regarding the booking of this property but I will intergect briefly so that the full scope is understood.

If going to PCB be aware that most lodging options are done by a central booking company or a private individual not onsite. I had originally made a deposit for a specific room through an individual working with Flipkey. I researched a room, complete with pictures and had corresponded with the manager for quit sometime. The room was listed on Tripadvisor with a couple reviews and I felt good about booking. A month before our departure, the room was transferred to Emerald View (Remember this name and take caution). I had reservations about continuing to give money but was reassured by Emerald View that our room(the original one that I had paid a deposit for, #1009) at the Shores of Panama was secure, even emailing me a week before with the confirmation # and electronic room number for said room. We basically did research on the room and had paid for the room, not the resort. More on this later.....onto the review:

The pictures listed on the Shores of Panama website showing a nice, tranquil pool with dolphin fountains is anything but the case, at least in July 2014.

Parking is an absolute challenge at best. If you like adventure you're going to love the challenge of navigating your vehicle up through this maze of 23 floors of travelers vehicles, pedestrians (that yell profanity because you might ask them to kindly move from the middle of the travel lanes while texting), or the skateboarders.
Our initial visit up this maze was to the assigned room which I booked back in May, room 1009. We made it to the 10th floor only to have a monster truck parked in the assigned parking space. Long story short, after getting my confirmation # from Emerald View and the room code, they gave up our room to someone else.(Done within 4 days) Initial calls to their office, I was offered nothing but "looks like someone made a mistake". We were finally offered 516 and given that their was nothing else available and we had just driven 13 hours, we reluctantly took it. We had no idea what this room looked like, yet had already paid for it.
#516 was assigned and the only improvement was that it was on the 5th floor versus the 10th. This made it easier to get the car parked and to get down to the pool because the elevator was just not an option. At one point, i said I really wished I had my camera! There were 15-20 people waiting for two elevators. We actually took an elevator once and we were on board for about 12 minutes travelling up and hitting about every floor on the way down. Inside it is super hot, dirty and on our one and only trip, I noticed I was standing on an awesome puddle of dip spit.
The stairs was our option every time even though this option was just as bad. Dirty, with again, dip spit or food on the ground and it was hot and humid. The stairwell is narrow so Lord help us if you had to pass on by someone coming or going. The grounds, common areas, are just too large for the cleaning crew to stay on top of.
The room was average. At this point, I was happy that it appeared clean atleast. There was an overwhelming of cleaner smell when we walked in which made us concerned as to what it was covering up for. It was dated with small tube tv's and sticky tacs on the walls where some art decor once was. The balcony was good sized but given the rusty furniture outside, the spit, food throwing, and fireworks thrown or dropped from above, we stayed in.
Regarding the carpeting, lets just say that it was obvious some partying had once gone on in that room and they attempted to clean whatever fluids were once there but the matted, tacky feeling does not go away.
We did not even venture to the fitness center, spa, or indoor pool but based on how other common areas looked, this was a smart move.

Wifi was listed but not really operational nor was a telephone signal (Verizon).

The bunk area was a nice little cove and the bathrooms appeared relatively clean.

The pool looks good from a distance and would probably be a blast back when I was in college. Family trips, it got a bit hairy! Chair drama was a daily occurance. Ball drama was an hourly occurrence, and I am not getting dirty...yet. Kids playing in the pool with those skip balls, having a good time. I saw atleast 8 parents go ham because they accidently took one or one of their children took one across the face. It was so busy and chaotic that you could not relax.

Honestly, during this time of year, it appears to be a spring break for families. Balconies which are a creepers paradise, with your neighbor being so close you can share beers with, a pool with a stage and dance floor directly below, and loud uncensored club music. Not cool when you have young children.

The beach was all rental chairs at a rate of $40.00 for a day. They are so close together that there is no room to set up your own camp near the gulf waters. This was the first trip to Florida that we did not even go down to the ocean.

The tiki bar was a nice escape and for the most part the staff was fantastic as was the front desk staff.
Just after learning that Emerald View doublebooked the room, it was said that perhaps someone from Shores of Panama did it (Emerald View in their scramble to lay blame said this). NOT The CASE! But in our frustration, we were upset and surely unfaily took it out on the front desk. They were sweet and understanding and did all they could to try and remedy so no fault on their part.

It is a busy, very busy, resort ideal for spring breakers. It is located right next to Pineapple Willy's and at the corner of S. Thomas and Front Beach St. This intersection is busy and difficult to exit out of when busy.

We have been to PCB in November and loved it. We stayed at a great resort east of Shores of Panama. Coming in July and staying here was not our speed. The booking issue also set the tone for a lot of stress.

Take caution of how and where you book. Each condo/room is different. If you want to party and like the adventure of "Tokyo Drifting" in a narrow parking garage, and want some extra cardio by taking the stairs all the time when coming down or back up....this could be a place for you.

If you seek some family relaxation, avoid....AVOID!

Room Tip: If you must choose this property, do your research and seek out a particular room. Be cautious of E...

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Wow, where do i start, ......

1. Elevators are not adequate
you may have to wait 30 min to use a NON air conditioned , oven hot elevator.
2. Room was not as pictured, tub leaks into floor , bare bones bedd and furnishings / linens .... cheap pillows cheap beds cheap linens at $400+ a night what a ripoff
3. Parking deck is a wreck waiting to happen, unless u drive a compact car, watch out, dangerously small lanes for traffic
4. its just such a pain in the wait on the elevator and get out of parking or find parking that it puts a damper on trip
5. overcrowded pool area with too chairs
6. For the money we paid to stay here we coulda stayed in destin at a 5 star resort hotel .
Im sure there are some owners here that have really nice units with lavish furnishings. But even if they do the parking and lack of elevators makes this place such a pain in the its not worth it. Out of the numerous condos ive rented in pcb over the past 20 years...... this was the worst by far :/

Stayed July 2014
Westminster, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My family and I (6 of us) stayed and were not impressed. The elevators were really slow and we waited at a minimum of 10 minutes just to catch one, if they weren't already full. They never brought us any pots and pans, after asking 3 times we had to go through the supervisor, Same thing with washcloths. They say they start you off with a starter pack, ( Towels, hand soap, dishwasher stuff, etc.). And with the parking most of them are reserved to homeowners and companies. Finding a parking spot in this place is ridiculous. It seems like when you rent a room you also rent a parking spot, but you don't. The rooms were nice and so was the view.

Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Pros: it has a large pool
Cons: Parking deck is horrible, elevators are sloooow (pizza delivery guy said worst in panama), green water in the hot tub and stinky pool chairs. Also, Laketown Warf is across the road so they share the beach with Shores of Panama .....crowded.
Other: Rooms will vary by owner. We went through bookit.com which was easy but their cleaning crew is not the best and they didn't leave a vacuum cleaner (we have small children and the sand/crumbs were hard to clean by hand.

Our baby's float and toys were stolen while sitting by the pool so be careful leaving things out of sight.
It's not as bad as this may sound but it's not nearly as good as the website portrays the place-but that's common. The staff were nice and we didn't have any issues that needed their attention. If I was single with no kids this would be the place to go.

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Pros:
* Great pool
* Easy access to the beach
* Short walk to Pineapple Willy’s restaurant

Cons:
* Party crowd: This may or may not be a con, depending on what you are looking for in a vacation. If you are looking to bring your family here with young kids, be aware there is also the teenager/young adult party crowd – and NOT just during spring break. On a recent Tuesday night at 11 p.m. we were awakened by loud music, chanting, hooting and hollering by people throughout the complex who were partying on their balconies.

* Creepers: Along similar lines, one evening we experienced people from several floors up throwing Oreos down from their balcony onto the pool area. (Why waste good Oreos??) In addition, every single night we observed people on multiple balconies aiming laser pointers at various people in and around the pool – mainly at women. I told the security guy and he said there was nothing he could do about it. Also people occasionally are shining handheld spotlights across the courtyard INTO other condos. A creepy “Creeper’s Paradise”? Having a process to report these complaints to management would be helpful.

* Displaced person: During our first night at the condo, we were awakened at 4 a.m. by a drunk guy with a baritone voice wandering through the hallways. He was lost and looking for his room. He repeatedly called out, “Kevin! Kevin!” and knocked on every door on the floor (and also our window) more than once. This went on for 20 minutes. Was he even on the right floor? Right condo complex? My 8 year old woke up and was seriously spooked by this guy.

* Parking garage: The parking garage is very cramped. It’s important to be aware of this if you get nervous maneuvering your vehicle up and down somewhat narrow and busy ramps. Depending on who you rent your condo from, you may or may not get a designated spot. If you don’t have a spot, be prepared to drive around for possibly quite a while (and going high up) searching for a spot. We did have a designated spot and we realized early on that we were better off backing into it each time because it was quite narrow and next to a concrete pillar. On our last night we came home only to find there was another vehicle parked in our spot!

* Elevators: We were on a low floor, which was a huge saving grace. The elevators always had long lines of people waiting, and I heard more than one person complain of the smells on the elevators.

* Cleanliness, or lack of it: The hallways would be better served by more regular maintenance. The walls looked very dirty, trash sat for days – including beer cans and a half-eaten hot dog.

Other things to be aware of:

* Amenities fee: Be aware you’ll need to pay an additional fee of around $28 per day for use of the condo’s pool and beach. Everyone will get a bracelet to wear.

* Household items: Also be aware that minimal household supplies provided. You’ll likely need to shop for paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, laundry detergent, dish soap, and so on.

* You’re better off renting from a condo owner, and not from the management company. These units seem to be better maintained. Our unit’s owner was great and attentive to our needs. Also, we had a key code to enter and did not have to do the off-site check-in process that those who book from the management company do.

Bottom line: The pool and beach are very nice and easily accessible. Due to the above cons, however, I would not recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Avoid the crowded, hot, pungent elevators by choosing a condo on a floor close to the ground level.
Hartwell, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Before making a reservation at this resort, I had read several reviews from other customers on Trip Advisor. Most were negative, but I upon the advice of a friend who has had a couple of positive experiences (and the fact that I was so taken in by the photos of the pool) I went ahead and decided to book the room. How I wish I taken heed to the warnings from the other customers.

Although I was well aware of the costs associated with this trip, when I had questions at the front desk upon my family's arrival, the clerk was absolutely rude. That alone should have been the first indicator that this was a sign of bad things to come.

This one bedroom condo was set up to accommodate 6 people. However, the were a variety of items missing that come standard with every vacation rental I've been a part of. The small amount of dishes they provided were only enough for three. I asked on four different occasions for a can opener, only to be brought a hand crank item, and a broken one at that! There were no sheets for the sofa bed and I asked three times for those...my son was left to sleep between two blankets that were of questionable cleanliness to begin with. We were provided with ONE washcloth and had to ask for more. None of these even came until after I made a personal appearance at the front desk, where a very nice, accommodating clerk sent someone up within minutes. However, a clock was a request far out of the reach for the staff at this facility. Interestingly enough, a blender, with a tap, was part of this "fun-filled" family vacation.

There are several sets of elevators, but each are nothing more than slow moving deathtraps. I felt like if I was going to die on this trip, it would have been on one of those elevators. You simply have no idea of what floor you are on until the doors open to let the next passenger on (or off). Also, they are kept such unsanitary conditions, the odor is like smelling "bad feet." The fitness facility was even more disgusting. While the equipment was adequate, there were no cleaning supplies, no water in the cooler, and the same trash in the basket that was there during the one other time I had been in that place.

Although I get the cleaning done, the beds made, etc. when I'm on a trip, I still was still pretty ticked that customers do not receive some type of house keeping service. Customers are expected to have all towels and sheets washed dried before their departure, AND checked out by 10 am of the day of their departure. The final slap in the face is the fact that you are assessed a cleaning fee.

Perhaps PCB has other places to enjoy a family vacation with breath taking views of the Gulf, but because of this experience alone, I am willing to take my family back to Myrtle Beach and pay a comparable cost for better service.

Fayetteville, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

This was our 5th year coming to Shores of Panama. We used to think it was the best condo complex around because of the fantastic pool and the great staff but something has really changed. So if you want to stay because you like the pool and that area of PCB then here is what you need to do: rent your unit from someone who doesn't use the complex for their management. That is what we did and our condo was wonderful! In fact, I would give the condo unit (204) a 5. We had no problems with it and instead of key cards we had a door lock code which made it so easy to get in and out of the unit. The owner of the unit is wonderful and wants to make your stay the best it can be. Try to get a unit on the 2nd or 3rd floor. That way you won't have to use the elevator which there are not enough of and we constantly saw people waiting to get on. Be prepared for finding no chairs by the pool if you get there after 10am. But they will let you put out your own chairs if there aren't any available.
Now I was very disappointed in the beach area this year!! When you go to the beach it is packed. The beach would be better if there weren't so many rental chairs on it. That would give people more room to spread out but the rental chairs took up almost all of the room. They rent for $40 a day and that is crazy!!
Be prepared for a tight parking lot and know that there is a line from 5-7pm to get out of it so if you go to dinner leave a little earlier.
The wristbands are a pain but I do see the need for them . The owner of our condo ordered them ahead of time for us and they were ready for us when we got there and that helped a lot. So try to get them through your owner of your condo unit if you can.
My major complaint about Shores of Panama was the dirtiness! But because it is such a huge complex I don't think they have enough staff to keep it clean. I just can't get over how people would just throw their stuff anywhere and not pick up after themselves. It was pretty disgusting along the halls and stairwells.
Now I give this place a 3 because of our unit and the outdoor pool. But I would not advise to go in the indoor pool. The chairs were filthy and it just felt unclean all over.
Now that our granddaughter is older, we will not come back. She is fine now not having a huge pool to play in so next year we are planning on staying somewhere else.
Shores of Panama has such potential but they have to come up a couple of notches before I will go there again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Shores of Panama Resort? Share your experiences!