“rip off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
You added Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort to your Saves list
17403 Front Beach Road, Panama City Beach, FL 32413   |
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
“rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2004

I stayed here with my girlfriends and because we were honest, we were ripped off. When we checked in we had extra people and paid the extra charge. For what? We were not given any extra towels and our room was rarely cleaned. Then when we went to check out, they said we had left scuff marks and had to paint the room. There went our deposit. What a rip off and bad impression to leave on us, for trying to do the right thing. I so do not recommend this place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2004

we went as a family and had a great time my kids had plenty of things to do without having to leave and find something for them to do my 5 yr old really enjoyed the playground, shuffle board golf and lazy river and thats why we went for them not ourselves and my 15 yr old also enjoyed the pools and the beach was beautiful.

Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2004

This is not a fancy hotel, but it is probably the best small resort motel I have ever stayed in. Every amenity you could expect at a mega resort is represented here. From tiki bar to pools to restaurants, everything was great. We found the hotel clean and comfortable. Although this is an older place, it has been maintained well. There are 3 pools (1 indoor), a lazy river, kiddie pool, and hot tub. The hotel is also pet friendly if your furry friend is under 10 pounds.

Negatives: This is a busy place. It is a great place for a relaxing vacation on the beach, but don't expect the pools to be empty or the parking to be overly plentiful. The staff of this hotel also has an annoying practice of shuffling room reservations at the last minute. An oceanfront reservation can easily become ocean view without your knowledge. Confirm your reservation a day or two before you arrive and make it crystal clear what you expect to find when you get there. This place has a wide array of room types and views. If you're not careful, your reservation could be "open to interpretation."

Overall, would definately stay here again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2004

We chose Sandpiper Beacon due to the amenities and because I have family in the area. I took my two daughters (8 and 12) during Spring Break (April 3-9). Hubby stayed home, so I was "single mothering" that week. We had to sign a statement that we would "make no noise complaints," when we checked in, and in the first few minutes on the property, my 8 year old asked me, “Mom’s what’s a keg party?” That was followed later by my other asking, “Mom, what’s a wet T-shirt contest?”

Regardless of the noise and the “irresponsible teenagers” (my daughters’ descriptive for the spring breakers), we had a grand time. Since the spring breakers slept it off in the mornings, we enjoyed free reign of the pools and beach then. The only issue was the noise at night, but then again it was our CHOICE to pick spring break week, so I knew that would be an issue and dealt with it with humor.

My advice—DON’T go during spring break if you want a family-oriented vacation, but DO GO any other time as it really is a nice place and I found the hotel staff very helpful and friendly (well, there was the exception with staff in the restaurant, but it may have been that they were so rude because they were under spring-break stress.)

I’d go again—even plan to do so later this summer.

• Stayed April 2004
Schriever, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2004

I left to go on my Panama City vacation on July 29, 2003 with my 2 best friends. We booked it for 5 nights. And the cost was $129 per night for partial view. When we got to the room, my friends and I were disappointed. It was not as nearly as nice as it looked on the brochure. The room had a nausating musty smell. We had to go to Wal-mart right away and buy some air freshner. I am glad that we had only 3 people because the room was tiny. Our stove and our fridge had rust on them. The carpets were stained and the sheets looked old. It definitly needs some upgrading.

The resort was completly full of kids and teenagers. Most with no adult supervision. I was just turning 27 at the time and my 2 friends were 21 and 19. Sometimes I felt like I was the oldest one there. The Tiki Bar was a blast though. I loved the indoor pool. It was put to good use when it poured down rain all day. We could hardly ever use the hot tub because it was always packed. And we could hardly ever get an intertube for the lazy river ride which was always packed. I could hardly fit the intertube and I am pretty small. Adults like to be like kids too sometimes.

I was disappointed with the beach in Panama. Of course, that is not the hotel's fault. It was filled with seaweed. I am going to Destin this year instead of Panama. Much prettier beaches. But, if you want to party, go to Panama.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2004

Sandpiper was awesome! The Tiki Bar was crazy, the security guards left us alone, and there are teenagers EVERYWHERE. I just got back from there for Spring Break and was very happy with everything. I would HATE to be a family staying there, but it's perfect for Spring Breakers. I went with 12 other girls and we had a blast. It's a little dirty, but it was not horribly expensive, and we didn't have too much trouble with drinking or anything. It was awesome.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2004

Please do not let this ripoffs take your money. We stayed hear the week of July, 4th 2000. It was my fiance's graduation present from her mother. We had 5 people all Adults. Me and My wife (fiance at the time) were 19 and 21 respectively. We were ordered by the front desk clerk to wear wristbands the entire time and not to take them off. They were so tight that by the time we finally got to our room - 35 minutes later - mine had caused a rash around my wrist. I quickly disposed of it and steared clear of the staff. The elevator had no ventilation in it and after the 3rd day, I chose to take the stairs the rest of the week.
Once we arrived in our room, the temperature was scortching - inside the room. Not only that, but the refrigerator was a woping 80 degrees too. When we called the front desk to complain, the rude staff said it will be a while before anyone could help us. Around 9pm the maintinance staff finally came to replace the Fridge, but when we did not hear the knock, the front desk guy called us and was so rude as he told us the maintinance was at the door. 3 guys came into the room and replaced the fridge. 2 Days later they were back replacing it again. The indoor pool was a joke, all it was was a pool that had glass surrounding it. It was bright and hot just like the outdoor pool. The advertisement was a joke too. 6 pools, yeah right - outdoor pool which had 100 people in it daily, indoor pool, hot tub, kiddie pool and that ridiculous excuse of a lazy river ride. The tiki bar was nothing but a teen hangout, but when I walked on the outside of it on the 4th of July, the bouncer was ready to take my head off. Once I raised my voice to him to express my displeasure, he threatened to kick me off the premises. The shower was a joke - water pressure was like a slow running sink. The only nice person on the entire resort was the man running the air brush place. He was nice and clean and was very helpful and patient with our choices.
The minature golf - ha! what a joke it was. 3 animal statues and a few holes. I have more fun playing golf in my bedroom than that place. They also allowed some kids to grill hamburgers and hotdogs on the sun deck - at first these looked good, but once you eat them, it was horrible and $20 for 2 hamburgers and french fries, another rip off. Finally we decide to leave a day early and the staff was rude about that. They charged us a high phone bill and we hardly made any calls. When we asked to print a receipt, they tried but the printer jammed it and all the information was printed right on top of each other were you could not read it. When we asked for another copy, they refused. I plead with anyone thinking of staying here, stay away. Do not do business with these ripoffs. That is the only reason the owner still makes money, because others are not informed. Please tell your friends as well who might want to come to Panama City to stay clear of the Sand Piper Beacon.

Been to Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!