“A Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sunset Inn
8109 Surf Dr, Panama City Beach, FL 32408   |
Ranked #6 of 53 hotels in Panama City Beach
Pensacola, Florida
“A Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

After reading the recent negative reviews, we almost hesitated to stay again at the Sunset Inn. Upon arrival, we realized this is the same place we love to come so often - there are HUGE signs up saying quiet hours are 10 pm on, and the hotel is full of quiet residents - we barely even hear a door opening or shutting. The beach is serene, the sunsets outstanding, this time there is even a moon coming up - just for us ;-) after the sun goes down. There is a full sized oven in which I am baking the stuffed pumpkin, the garlic broccoli and cauliflower; the oven is working fine, all the appliances are in working condition and clean, everything is clean clean clean.

This is a Mom and Pop place, which is why we come here. We don't expect - or want - a chain. We love this place for what it is - a great beach motel, with stunning views and a personal touch. They even have a laundry for those staying long enough to use it, and a clean swimming pool.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, don't come during Spring Break. It's not the Sunset Inn, it's the hot...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Made these reservations because a friend of my son's was staying here for the Ironman race. They were getting a "condo". They didn't have any "condos" available, so I took a one bedroom efficiency on the water. Arriving late at night, the place was closed up tight. No office staff available. Luckily my son had already check in. Kinda spooky looking at night. Come morning, it was better. The view was awesome! Beautiful white sandy beaches, rolling surf and warm sunshine. The room ... so so. Towels were old, bathroom worn out a tad (although, it did have a hair dryer to my surprise), and blanket was shedding white fuzz balls. They did put in a roll away for me as I asked, but in the morning when I checked in, they asked for a different price than they had quoted over the phone. The did come down to only $5 over their original quote, but I was a bit shocked at the change. The room we had was an efficiency, but no coffee - just the pot, no detergent to wash the dishes, but towels (also quite worn) We did not have trouble with other guest being noisy maybe because they were all racing too, and not partying. I am glad we did not get the "condo" our friends got as it was across the street - not on the beach, and overlooked a parking lot with an alley behind it and was really only a two bedroom room. The two women at the desk were very accommodating and scrounged up some left behind beach towels for us to use since those aren't provided either. The men at the desk on the weekend however, were not quite as kind. I asked for an extra night for my son (his flight was the day after ours) and they wanted to charge me full price, and were a bit taken aback when I mentioned the women cut me a deal. I have to admit I may be a bit of a snob, but this was not the type of hotel I am used to. Absolutely no amenities, so bring everything with you! They do seem to have tried to spruce the outside up a bit with a fresh coat of paint, but now it's time to clean up the rooms, invest in new towels, and clean what they do have (stairs were filthy dirty!) No restaurant although Wendy's and subway aren't a far walk. No fitness center either. Will I stay here again??? No, probably not, but it suited our purpose this time.

Room Tip: Definitely get the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had planned to go to Cocoa beach but due to Hurricane Sandy had to make last minute change and headed to PCB. My hubby had stayed at Sunset Inn years ago and wanted to stay there again. I really didn't want to for a couple of personal reasons but once we got settled in, I was very glad we came here. It was very inexpensive and right on the beach. The room was a little dated, especially the bath room, but the location made up for it. I had read the reviews about noise and I can see that could easily be an issue as it is a small compact complex. We stayed in a pool view room but I made hubby promise that next time we would get an gulf view room. Yep, I said next time because this place has won me over.

Room Tip: There are newly remodeled rooms that are ocean view and really nice, and not near the pool where the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

VERY, very, very sad to write this review, but.....

I have to echo the previous reviewer - he actually describes the event to a "T". I don't know this person, but we had the same exact experience during our stay Oct. 3-8. My parents have been coming here for 13 years and have never stayed anywhere else on the beach. I have stayed here on several occasions, and have always left positive reviews on TA for the Sunset Inn. However, this time was way different. I realize that many people have their extended families coming in for a long weekend at the beach and the Sunset Inn is a great place for all to stay. This is fine and I wish my family would do something similar. However, I have noticed over the years the guests here have become less respectful of other guests. I say this because I have stayed the same time of year and the families are there year after year. On this particular visit, there were two separate families that did take over the decks at night and the pool during the day as if they owned the property. On Sunday night, both families had separate parties on the deck. The kids were screaming and yelling out of control and the adults were loud and obnoxious. I let them have their fun until 11:00 (despite the sign clearly states to "KEEP IT QUIET AT NIGHT"). Reluctantly, I asked the group to keep it down, as I was leaving at 4 am the following morning for a 15 hour drive home. They did not, and actually moved the party right next to our room (lucky us - they were our next door neighbors). I was so mad and now wide awake that I packed up and left at 12:30 and driving back to home to Ohio with one hour of sleep.

The Sunset guests also use the beach service, and I have noticed the guests are disrespectful here too. I had my chairs set up next to a woman that had "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey on repeat. If you want to listen to music, set up shop away from others so that we can all enjoy the beach too, or just use headphones. Her kids were brats too and she had to keep yelling at them for just about everything they did/did not do.

On a kind of positive note: The owners are really nice and helpful (although I didn't call to complain - I didn't think they would do anything about the noise anyway). The rates are reasonable. The property is clean and in a perfect location. The beach service guy, Anthony is awesome. There is so much that I love about the Sunset Inn, but this has been my last stay with them. *sniffle* :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you like the idea of paying to listen to someone else's loud, drunken family reunions outside your door, then the Sunset Inn is for you!

Sunset is an older motel that shows its age a bit, but it has been maintained over the years. Unfortunately, it is the noisiest motel that I have ever stayed in. We paid extra for for a beachfront room with a private balcony. The balconies have a great view. They overlook a large communal deck as well as the beach, though. We stayed October 5-8. It was very noisy and crowded on the decks and in the courtyard around the pool every evening. On Sunday evening. October 7, several large groups took over the decks and the noise built throughout the night. For the first few hours, there were lots of children screaming and yelling. It was noisy far beyond the normal sounds of children playing. The clientele that Sunset caters to seems to have no regard for the other lodgers and management does not see the need to address extreme noise levels.

As the evenings progressed, the adults got drunker and they became the ones that were yelling and singing. I called the front desk hoping for some relief, but got none. The loud noise carried on well past the 10 p.m. "quiet time" without being addressed by management. We could not use our balcony in the evenings and the noise drowned out the TV in our room. We decided to walk on the beach for some late-night quiet, but the crowds could still heard above the sound of the surf! Interestingly, Sunset was that only noisy place on the beach in the general area.

Upon checkout, the manager/owner invited us back, but I indicated that we would not return and explained why. Oddly, even though I was not asking for anything, he wanted to argue. He indicated that they do cater to groups that want to have "fun" and he gave every indication that it was a normal weekend. He even asked me if I had called back to the office a second time to complain about the late-night noise. I did not since it was clear that the noise and revelry would not be discouraged.

The bottom line is simple. If you have large group that wants to take over a motel with no regard for the other guests, then Sunset is for you. If, on the other hand, you want a quiet family vacation on the beach - stay away. It is difficult to accurately explain how noisy this motel is. I can honestly say that this is the number one noisiest place that I have every stayed.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms face the noisy deck and the courtyard rooms face the noisy pool area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We Went this year for the 3rd time and had a blast! Me, My Fiance and my Mother Always Meet My sister and her husband and family there atleast once a year. Its become a family tradition. We stayed at the older one (which I like) and my Sisters family stayed at the new place. We all had a great time as we always do. If you like a smaller place where everything is not all crowded and people are helpful and nice.. this is the place to be.. You will always meet someone new and everyone is so friendly! Is great to grill out on the deck at night and just enjoy the atmosphere! The owners and the "LifeGuard"/Chair and umbrella renter Are very CUTE not to mention very nice and will help you with anything! Anyhow I could go on forever, I sure so miss my ocean view when i wake up :) P.S. Hopefully going to plan my wedding here also.. ok well.. Give this place a try im sure you wont regret a thing! - Holly Smith (Valdosta, Georgia)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Norcross, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a wonderful view of the ocean ! The room was very clean and the staff was wonderful.The only thing missing was an ice machine.We will definitely go back !!! We had heard about the hotel from a friend that has been going there for years and now I can see why.I read some reviews (mostly good ) and did have a few concerns,but every thing I had read,that was not good,I didn't find to be true.What's that old saying ? You can't please all of the people all of the time. And some people you can't please no matter what ! I would go back in a heartbeat !! I had a FANTASTIC time.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!