“The Noisiest Motel in Town!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sunset Inn
You added Sunset Inn to your Saves list
8109 Surf Dr, Panama City Beach, FL 32408   |
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“The Noisiest Motel in Town!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you like the idea of paying to listen to someone else's loud, drunken family reunions outside your door, then the Sunset Inn is for you!

Sunset is an older motel that shows its age a bit, but it has been maintained over the years. Unfortunately, it is the noisiest motel that I have ever stayed in. We paid extra for for a beachfront room with a private balcony. The balconies have a great view. They overlook a large communal deck as well as the beach, though. We stayed October 5-8. It was very noisy and crowded on the decks and in the courtyard around the pool every evening. On Sunday evening. October 7, several large groups took over the decks and the noise built throughout the night. For the first few hours, there were lots of children screaming and yelling. It was noisy far beyond the normal sounds of children playing. The clientele that Sunset caters to seems to have no regard for the other lodgers and management does not see the need to address extreme noise levels.

As the evenings progressed, the adults got drunker and they became the ones that were yelling and singing. I called the front desk hoping for some relief, but got none. The loud noise carried on well past the 10 p.m. "quiet time" without being addressed by management. We could not use our balcony in the evenings and the noise drowned out the TV in our room. We decided to walk on the beach for some late-night quiet, but the crowds could still heard above the sound of the surf! Interestingly, Sunset was that only noisy place on the beach in the general area.

Upon checkout, the manager/owner invited us back, but I indicated that we would not return and explained why. Oddly, even though I was not asking for anything, he wanted to argue. He indicated that they do cater to groups that want to have "fun" and he gave every indication that it was a normal weekend. He even asked me if I had called back to the office a second time to complain about the late-night noise. I did not since it was clear that the noise and revelry would not be discouraged.

The bottom line is simple. If you have large group that wants to take over a motel with no regard for the other guests, then Sunset is for you. If, on the other hand, you want a quiet family vacation on the beach - stay away. It is difficult to accurately explain how noisy this motel is. I can honestly say that this is the number one noisiest place that I have every stayed.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms face the noisy deck and the courtyard rooms face the noisy pool area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We Went this year for the 3rd time and had a blast! Me, My Fiance and my Mother Always Meet My sister and her husband and family there atleast once a year. Its become a family tradition. We stayed at the older one (which I like) and my Sisters family stayed at the new place. We all had a great time as we always do. If you like a smaller place where everything is not all crowded and people are helpful and nice.. this is the place to be.. You will always meet someone new and everyone is so friendly! Is great to grill out on the deck at night and just enjoy the atmosphere! The owners and the "LifeGuard"/Chair and umbrella renter Are very CUTE not to mention very nice and will help you with anything! Anyhow I could go on forever, I sure so miss my ocean view when i wake up :) P.S. Hopefully going to plan my wedding here also.. ok well.. Give this place a try im sure you wont regret a thing! - Holly Smith (Valdosta, Georgia)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Norcross, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a wonderful view of the ocean ! The room was very clean and the staff was wonderful.The only thing missing was an ice machine.We will definitely go back !!! We had heard about the hotel from a friend that has been going there for years and now I can see why.I read some reviews (mostly good ) and did have a few concerns,but every thing I had read,that was not good,I didn't find to be true.What's that old saying ? You can't please all of the people all of the time. And some people you can't please no matter what ! I would go back in a heartbeat !! I had a FANTASTIC time.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just got home yesterday and had a great trip to PCB and Sunset Inn. Sunset Inn is like home away from home everyone gets to know each other. Jim and Chris was there everyday to take care of any needs you might have. I did get to tour the new building that they just bought next door that use to be Andy's and they have spent a lot of time and money in this place and it really shows. They also built a new pool so now the properties has 2 pools. You can't go wrong staying here. Anthony continues to service the beach chairs and umbrella and much more for Sunset Inn. He is a great guy and does a great job taking care of all your needs plus keeps the beach clean. If you have any questions about Sunset Inn just ask.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

In some cases on line pictures give a good idea what your choice is going to be like. This time, unfortunately they don't. The hotel is in need of some serious "tender-loving-care". Room wall paint is not the best and light fixtures should be replaced. The hotel itself is at the east end of the island which is not high end. A short drive west on Thomas takes you to the high rises and restaurants. Other amentities are non existant. No tissues, towels are thread bare etc.
Now the good side. Staff are very nice & friendly. View of the beach (and the beach itself) are great. Area is very quiet which goes good for many families. All-in-all it's a C+ and OK for many who aren't looking for high end. stays. My wife & I will probably not go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ringgold, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was so excited to find Sunset Inn. Even when I called to find out if they had a room available, the lady that answered the phone was intent on helping me but also on helping the current customers in the lobby.
Sunset Inn is surrounded by other large condos and resorts. They are on the east end of the Panama City Beach close to St. Andrews State Park. We stayed in a room in what used to be Andy's Motel. The room had a queen size bedroom with a door that gave us privacy (teenage son), Kitchen (fridge, sink, coffee pot, toaster, cabinets, enough dishes to cook and eat with,stove/oven, and a microwave), bathroom, and a living room area with a table and chairs and a sleeper couch, plus a balcony facing the ocean. We also had 2 flat screen tv's.
For $145 a night the first days of August, it couldn't be beat.
The beach wasn't crowded because we were not in a tower full of people competing for space on the beach.
They have 2 pools on the property but we didn't go swimming.
I can't wait to plan our next trip. If we decide on PCB we will definitely use Sunset Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the new part if you want smoke free. They are implementing it in their older buil...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hopkinsville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband decided at the last minute to have a quick trip to the beach for my birthday and a back to school get-a-way for the kids. Condos were booked solid an required a full week. We only had four days. I saw the reviews, made the call, and book our room. We loved it! We met really nice people, loved the deck and all of the grills, and the location to the shoreline was spectacular! Was it the Hilton? No! Was it more than worth the cost? Yes! Never have we grilled and not gone out to dinner until this trip. We grilled twice! Loved it all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!