“Only "So-So"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sunset Inn
8109 Surf Dr, Panama City Beach, FL 32408   |
Ranked #6 of 53 hotels in Panama City Beach
Jacksonville, Florida
“Only "So-So"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

In some cases on line pictures give a good idea what your choice is going to be like. This time, unfortunately they don't. The hotel is in need of some serious "tender-loving-care". Room wall paint is not the best and light fixtures should be replaced. The hotel itself is at the east end of the island which is not high end. A short drive west on Thomas takes you to the high rises and restaurants. Other amentities are non existant. No tissues, towels are thread bare etc.
Now the good side. Staff are very nice & friendly. View of the beach (and the beach itself) are great. Area is very quiet which goes good for many families. All-in-all it's a C+ and OK for many who aren't looking for high end. stays. My wife & I will probably not go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ringgold, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was so excited to find Sunset Inn. Even when I called to find out if they had a room available, the lady that answered the phone was intent on helping me but also on helping the current customers in the lobby.
Sunset Inn is surrounded by other large condos and resorts. They are on the east end of the Panama City Beach close to St. Andrews State Park. We stayed in a room in what used to be Andy's Motel. The room had a queen size bedroom with a door that gave us privacy (teenage son), Kitchen (fridge, sink, coffee pot, toaster, cabinets, enough dishes to cook and eat with,stove/oven, and a microwave), bathroom, and a living room area with a table and chairs and a sleeper couch, plus a balcony facing the ocean. We also had 2 flat screen tv's.
For $145 a night the first days of August, it couldn't be beat.
The beach wasn't crowded because we were not in a tower full of people competing for space on the beach.
They have 2 pools on the property but we didn't go swimming.
I can't wait to plan our next trip. If we decide on PCB we will definitely use Sunset Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the new part if you want smoke free. They are implementing it in their older buil...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hopkinsville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband decided at the last minute to have a quick trip to the beach for my birthday and a back to school get-a-way for the kids. Condos were booked solid an required a full week. We only had four days. I saw the reviews, made the call, and book our room. We loved it! We met really nice people, loved the deck and all of the grills, and the location to the shoreline was spectacular! Was it the Hilton? No! Was it more than worth the cost? Yes! Never have we grilled and not gone out to dinner until this trip. We grilled twice! Loved it all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Can do some maintenance on the doors in room and in bathroom....very hard time opening......Otherwise is a great place to stay with family or like a couple...clouse to everything...nice beach ...nice service....friendly owners

• Stayed July 2012
New Iberia, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I visited PCB for our 1 year anniversary. I was left with the job if finding a place to stay. I'm not a huge fan of big high rises or their prices. I found Sunset Inn while searching google of hotels in PCB. I looked on tripadvisor at the reviews and was intrigued. After a 7 hour drive from Louisiana my husband and I were pleasantly surprised! The few negative reviews stated that the hotel was terribly outdated and some said dirty. Our room was immaculate and cute! We tarted in the new updated rooms next door to the main building. Our room had fresh paint, new tile floors, a wall mounted flat screen tv and new furniture throughout (all dark cherry wood!) I called the day before to reserve a room so all I was able to book was a queen room with a full kitchen (fully stocked) which was perfect for my husband and I. Our room overlooked a very nice deck with umbrellas and nice tanning furniture and tables and chairs. Which was very comfy and had families eating meals or just hanging out through out the day. There was also beach access right outside our door! We didn't have to use the main beach access at the main building. There was also buildings across the street that were multi room condos I believe. There was also a very nice pool across the street that my husband and I used the most (less kids.) The property was littered with beautiful hibiscus plants and many others. :) There was also beach service which we didn't use. But did talk to Anthony a couple times, very nice guy. Our room was cleaned every day and we got fresh bath towels and dish towels. Cleaning service was also very friendly. This place is definately family friendly with 2 pools big for kids and parents to Enjoy. All attractions were a short 5-10 minute drive away. The rates were unbeatable! We stayed 4 nights for $95 a night!! Not sure if you could beat the price elsewhere while still getting amazing quality. I most certain recommend this hotel for anyone visiting PCB. :)

• Stayed July 2012
Owensville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I, our daughter and her 3 children stayed 3 nights at the Sunset Inn in July of this year. We really weren't sure what to expect, being a small, non-chain hotel, but we were thrilled with this place. As we were traveling with 2 small children, the two queen beds were enough for all of us. The kitchen featured a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, full-size fridge with an excellent ice-maker, full-size stove, double sink and enough dishes to take care of our eating. The entire place was clean, clean, clean! We loved the fact that we were on the first floor (room 105) and it was so handy for us to get the kids back and forth to the beach. We enjoyed the picnic tables (under roof, which came in handy as it rained a day we were there) and the grill. What I especially liked was the atmosphere there. The owners were on-site and saw to it that every need was met. We had some very wet beach towels and when we checked about the nearest laundry facility, we were shown to one on-site, which was so very handy. The guests there were more like family - everyone was so friendly and it was like we had known each other forever. The kids all played together and the adults sat around the pool or beach and visited. One family even showed our kids how to hunt for white sand crabs at night - it was a highlight of their trip. The location was away from the crowds and the "touristy" things, one block off the main road around Panama City Beach. It was a very quiet location, but a Wal-Mart, a Dollar Store and a couple brand name grocery stores were within easy driving distance. There were a couple small convenience stores 3 blocks away as well. We already have plans to return next year and are really looking forward to our trip.

Room Tip: The owners have purchased several other hotels across the road from where we stayed, and they are ne...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

A little late with my review.. But me and my hubby stayed in this hotel last year (2011) for vacation. We had a one bedroom studio efficiency. The room was very nice with a king bed and nice bathroom. Loved the beach access and loved the fact that it was locally owned and not in the heart of the city. Would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!