“Good old florida beach side motel - good value for $$” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Flamingo Motel
You added Flamingo Motel to your Saves list
15525 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32413   |
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
“Good old florida beach side motel - good value for $$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family and I checked in on Memorial day and stayed 2 nights. I'd read good reviews here and when I called they had availability, plus the rates went down some as the holiday weekend was over. First, the property. It's old, it's been well used, it's dated. We had a unit on the 2nd floor of "the Tower". The unit afforded beautiful, almost beach level, views of the pool and the water. The pool was crystal clear, lots of chairs for sunning. Also, there is a part of the property called the garden. It has another pool along with some trees around the decking. Really pretty setting and where I preferred to sun so as to not burn up. Lots of families here. Maintenance guys were always around, washing the decks or picking up trash which careless visitors discarded. I'd have to say our unit was clean. The beds were supportive and comfortable and the a/c worked beautifully! The fold out couch in living area had some sketchy looking stains. No problem, we just took a sheet from the drawer and used that as a slip cover. And then the NOISE. On Front beach road, things start winding up about dusk. Cars and motorcycles start up and down the strip and drunk teens or 20 somethings hollering till 2 in the morning. Now that was out on Front beach road. Then on the other end of the unit, that faces the pool, there were about 20 people out there till 1:30 or so just having a grand old time. So, I'd have to say that was my biggest complaint, the noise. Which is something the motel staff can do little about.

But bear in mind, this is an older building, right on the beach and the rates were really good. It's not a high rise condo and I didn't pay $400 a night. So take your pick. I can live with a little noise.

We will stay here again. next time, I'll shoot for one of the garden rooms which don't have direct frontage to front beach road.

Oh yeah, you're within a mile of pier park and all that wonderful shopping and dining that goes along with it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Normal, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Disappointed that we could not make a reservation for one night. Our family will just be passing through town but they would not allow us to make a reservation for one night. They would allow us to call on the day that we want to stay and if there is a room open we can have it for the one night. Just really not an option when traveling with a baby. Property looks beautiful.,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

I originally booked here for June. Unfortunately had tO cancel. But I will say everyone I spoke with on the phone to make and cancel our reservation was extremely nice and very helpful.

Stayed June 2012
Winchester, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This place was perfect for our needs and the price. It is not a five star resort so you shouldn't expect as much. However, everyone we encountered here from the check in staff to the cleaning ladies to the other guests were super friendly and helpful in every way. I took two teenagers age 17 and 15 and they had a ball. We stayed in the tower suite. It was equipped with a full kitchen, a bedroom with two queen size beds, and a small living room area. Also, we had an oceanfront balcony. The kitchen came with everything but a blender and was convenient. The elevators are slow but no more so than most beach hotels I have stayed in before. We stayed on the second floor so most of the time we used the stairs. There are two pool that are kept clean. I saw the man out every morning cleaning and checking levels on the pools and the hot tub. The beach is not crowed at this hotel. There are plenty of spaces for those who want to lay by the pool. The second lay out area is over the cabana rooms and has an area with grills and picnic tables. The location of the motel could not have been better. There are lots of things within walking distance. Gulf World is right behind this motel, with a convenience store, dippin' dots, and a couple of souvenior shops. Shuck ums' Restaurant is also located behind the motel. The best thing is Pier Park is within walking distance. Everything you could need is there. The pier is well worth the $2 you pay to walk on it as we saw stingrays, jellyfish and dolphins in the late afternoon. Lots of people hang out here in the evenings and there is a lot to do, many places to eat, and lots of shopping. I will say that the management at the Flamingo was very nice. We arrived the Sunday of storms when they were unsure if Tropical Storm Debbie was going to hit. We asked if we could get a refund if we decided to check out early. The lady said that we could not but that they would honor the nights at a different time. This is much more than most hotels at the beach would give. This was our first trip to Panama City Beach but we will be back and staying here! It is a gem. I could not believe how great it was. I can see why so many people return to stay here year after year.

Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed here many years ago on the cabana level and we liked it. This time we decided to stay in the "Penthouse" with our families. I wanted to describe it because the info online isn't very informative. We were told that this used to be the owner's apartment. It's on the third floor and there is only one other room on that floor so it's very private. The balcony is shared with the other room and there is a nice view of the gulf, though it is partially obscured by the palm trees in the garden. When you walk in there is a large living area that includes a dining room, living room and large kitchen (with a dishwasher!). The couch is old and worn, but fairly comfy. The pull out bed was not. We had to use it two nights because we had 8 people and were at full capacity. There is a set of bunk beds built into the wall in the dining room. There is no ladder or rails. Our kids are 8 and 10 and they share a bunkbed at home, but I put the top mattress on the floor because it would have been difficult for the kids to climb in and out of it. I was also concerned that they might roll right off of the bed at night. They thought the mattresses were comfortable. There is a small bedroom off the kitchen. It has a full sized bed, a bedside table and a dresser. That is absolutely all that will fit in there. I stayed in that room with my hubby and it worked, but it was tight. The bed was extremely firm and not that comfortable, but worth it to be on the beach. There is a full bathroom off the kitchen. The other bedroom is off the living room and it's huge! There is a king sized bed, 2 walk in closets, a full sized bathroom and even extra sinks in the bedroom. The only troubling thing in that room was a small patch of black mold on the ceiling. We brought it to the maintenance man's attention and he looked at it right away. He said they'd fix it after we left. Overall our stay was very enjoyable, despite a visit from Tropical Storm Debby. The people working in the lobby were very nice and helpful whenever we needed something for our room or were looking for advice on where to go for a good meal. The cleaning person was also very friendly and accomodating. She left us with lots of extra amenities so we wouldn't run out. The penthouse did not smell like smoke, which was a relief as we seemed to be one of the few non smokers at the motel. My only complaint was all the light bulbs that were burned out. There was no light bulb in the small bedroom at all when we arrived and about half of the ceiling lights were burned out. There were some extra bulbs in the unit and we were able to get more in the lobby. We probably wouldn't have noticed all the bulbs if we hadn't been stuck inside for a couple of days. There are two pools and a hottub outside. You can walk down to the beach and there is plenty of room since the motel is not a high rise. Some of the high rise hotels surrounding us were packed and the beaches in front of them were really crowded.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the beach side if you can. You can't beat the view and It's very difficult...
Lawrenceville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed across the street in the older part of the hotel. From reading reviews it was older but clean. I am not sure what everyone's definition of "clean" is but it was definately not clean under my standards. The couch was so dingy and stained we wouldn't touch it. I had to throw a blanket over it in order to feel "ok" about sitting down on it. Everything was REALLY dusty. There was build up on the faucets (kitchen and bathroom) The carpet was kind of sticky. The floor in the kitchen had a big rip in it with rust all around it. The coffee pot was THICk with old old coffee on the hot plate which didn't work (but no wonder it didn't work!!). The dishes all had to be rewashed. I could tell that one of the coffee mugs had been used as an ashtray....yuck!!! There was very minimal pots/pans and utensils. I don't know about you but the whole reason I got a room with a kitchentte in it was so I could cook and save a little money by not eating out every meal. Needless to say I was very limited in what I could cook. Plus the pots/pans that were supplied were rusted and VERY old. Also, it was very hard to cross the street safely and we had to take our stroller down a flight of stairs to get on the beach.....no ramp available. I could go on with more details but I won't. The bottom line is I am not picky. I knew it would be old and I was ok with that but I am not ok with unsanitary, run down dump. Not for my family. We will NEVER be back. Might be ok for spring break but not for a family.

Room Tip: Definately bypass the rooms across the street from the beach. I didn't see any others rooms so...
Chattanooga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Found this place twenty years ago and have been coming back ever since. We love to come down in late spring and fall when things are a little quiter. It's usually just my husband and I so a small room in the hotel works just fine. We can always count on a neat clean room when we arrive. Panama City has grown so much over the last ten years, it's nice to find a place that still offers personal service. The office staff & housekeeping are always kind and helpful if needed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Flamingo Motel? Share your experiences!