“Pleasantly Surprised by 6 Hour Fishing Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: There are so many fun things to do here that we don’t know where to begin! With over 55 years as North Florida’s premier water excursion facility in Panama City Beach, we are the marina “where the fish are always biting and the kids are always smiling”! Capt. Anderson’s Marina is open year‘round and a must-do on your vacation list – we can help you put the fun stuff in your trip~! FISHING: We offer half-day and all-day Deep Sea Fishing trips on 5 large head boats (party boats) as well as private sport fishing on over 25 smaller charter boats. Come spend the day on the Capt. Anderson 10 HR Deep-Sea Fishing boat and experience salt water fishing at its best! you will be eating fresh fish for dinner that night! DOLPHINS: There are three Sightseeing cruises to pick from! The Shell Island and Dolphin Excursions on the Capt. Anderson III are available throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Check out the NEW FOR 2013 trip - the PC BEACH SEAFARI~! This is a "One-of-a-kind" hands on eco-adventure tour for all ages where you can pull a trawl net and pass around sea creatures, catch crabs, and observe aquatic bird life on a narrated educational trip that always includes the popular Dolphin Encounter!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 attraction reviews
“Pleasantly Surprised by 6 Hour Fishing Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My 10 year old son absolutely loves fishing, but charter boats are expensive when you're already paying for travel and accommodations. What I like about Captain Anderson's and other similar services is that you can have a deep sea fishing experience for a fairly reasonable price. Having read other reviews here, though, I think what you have to do is go in with the understanding that the ocean, the fish, and the people next to you are unpredictable. You might catch a lot of fish, or you might catch a lot of your neighbor's lines.

Fortunately for us, the stars aligned, and we caught a lot of fish. Well, I should say, my son caught a lot of fish. Somehow the rods were rarely in my hands when a fish was on. I'm still trying to figure that out. Anyway, we also caught a lot of our neighbor's fishing lines as well, but between the extremely helpful deck hand and some easy-going and capable neighbors, they were all quickly resolved.

Speaking of the deck hand, what can you say? He went out of his way to make sure my son and everyone else had a good time fishing. He demonstrated why the tiny little Soap Fish we pulled up was called a soap fish and let us look at the Remoras that some of the other people caught. That's not to mention fixing tangles, getting fish off of hooks, and generally running himself ragged trying to take care of everyone.

One thing I think should be noted is that the travel time to the fishing spot is about 1.5 hours. I had seen it in reviews here on Trip Advisor so I knew what to expect, but if I hadn't been here, it would have caught me off-guard. When you pick which trip you want to take, remember to take the 3 hour round-trip travel into account. There might also be some short moves while you're out if the fishing spot isn't producing much. I think we moved 2 times while we were out which was great because we caught a lot more fish after moving.

One other recommendations would be to take a small, disposable hand towel if you don't want to pay the price for one on the boat. They're inexpensive on the boat, but if you think you can get by without one, think again. Silly squid inked me on my first hook.

Visited August 2013
Michelle G, Manager at Capt. Anderson's Marina, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your fishing adventure and the awesome actions of the deck hand. They really do work hard to make sure that the fishers in their section are taken care of in many numerous ways - so you can just arrive at the dock and have everything ready for you!
We are so glad for your lucky stars! Like fish, they are another part of nature that we are able to enjoy - but have no control over :-) It sounds like you have a great attitude and we’re glad you understand that fishing is not like a theme park ride where you know what to expect, because it’s NOT going to be the same trip every time - and GOOD THING IT’S NOT~!
I certainly hope you are able to come back again and enjoy being out on the water with your family!

Panama City, Panama
“I'm a local and this was a complete waist of time and money for me and my family”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'm a local and the Capt Anderson deep sea fishing cruise was a complete waist of time and money for me and my family!!! What a rip off! They crammed the boat with 60 people all fishing elbow to elbow.... It was the 5 hour tour.... An hour out and back with no fishing...There was suppose to be 3 hours of fishing but because the lines are constantly getting tangled its really 30 minutes total of being able to fish. Every 15-20 min the captian would move the boat to another spot which means no fishing while the boat is moving.... My nephew hooked one but it got all tangled up with a mother and her little annoying kid and some other guy and since it was pulled up by the ships help in front of the kid and the mother they gave it to them instead of finding out who's hook he was actually on. They also allow people to smoke on the bottom deck while you fish elbow to elbow and I had two cigarette butts cross in front of my fishing line while in the water. GROSS!! You are not allowed to bring coolers so you don't take anything home your not suppose to, but its mainly so that you buy their expensive water and drinks inside the cabin. Also if you want your hands to stay clean or non sticky from squid guts so you don't miss that lame 30 min of fishing time waiting in line to wash your hands you can purchase a dry rag inside...Pffft I was not going to give the anymore money! Out of 60 people fishing only 15-20 fish were caught by the entire ship.There was only three in our party and we caught absolutely nothing at $60 each (even the children) to equal $160...... So since they packed the boat they made $3600 in 5 hours for that scam!!

Visited August 2013
There are always two sides to every coin…not counting the edges. It sounds like you were expecting something more like a Private Charter rather than a Head Boat fishing experience?

A Private Charter trip is for those who wish to have a fishing experience that is tailored to their individual expectations. We have over 25 Private Charter boats here at Capt. Anderson’s Marina, available to take anywhere from 4 to 24 passengers out every day. These boats get to the reefs faster -because they are smaller. In addition to reef/bottom fishing, they also do trolling (lines cast while the boat is moving) and sport fishing – because of the considerably smaller number of fishers and ability to maneuver the boat. (Plus – you can bring your cooler full of whatever you like).
A lot of people choose a Head Boat just because it is much easier on the pocket, but may not be aware of the difference in “the experience”. Food wise, you CAN bring anything (except beer/alcohol) in a backpack or bag OR you can purchase food from the galley on board serving up hot breakfast and lunch.
Sharing the cost of a Head Boat with a lot of other people means if it is full, there can be anywhere from 52 to 75 fishers on the boat (depending on the trip length because we have 5 Head Boats). In order to avoid a massive crush of fishers vying for the same spot of the boat when it is time to drop the lines, the Head Boats have numbered spots around the rail of the boat to allow customers to “reserve” a specific fishing spot where the deckhand will get all the gear/bait ready for you.
A Head Boat only does reef/bottom fishing (Grouper, Snapper, Porgy, Rudderjack, etc.) With reef/bottom fish, all you have to do is drop the line and dangle the bait. The main thing is to remember to keep your lines taut. That takes 80% of line tangling out of the equation. We do have great deck hands that stay on their toes no matter what boat you are on! There is NO trolling while the boat is underway as we take your safety seriously. It wouldn’t be a pretty sight to see 60 lines flying all over thru the air with 2 hooks apiece!
It does take some time to get out to the fishing reefs. A good estimate trip length: half the time will be travel out to & back from the reefs, half the time is fishing on the reefs. Therefore, if fishing a TEN hour trip you will be traveling approximately 2 ½ hours out and 2 ½ hours back – with approximately 5 hours of fishing on the reefs.
There is going to be travel time between the reefs as well – your captain will determine this using many facts at hand, including what is being caught, how many and how big. Sometimes only a couple of reefs will be abundant enough to support the whole group but most times you will have travel to a few reefs. Remember, the fish also travel from reef to reef and the captain wants to ensure the best fishing trip possible each time for our visitors.
If you wish to give Head Boats another try, I would certainly recommend a full day trip such as the 10 or 12 Hour. There you will get less of the “First-Timers” and get more of the “Slightly Salty” and “Old Salt” category of fishers. Although, I have to admit, every time we see a kid out there fishing with Mom or Dad, it never fails to bring a smile. We can only hope that as many kids as possible gets to experience this awesome adventure of deep sea fishing, especially for their first time!
Louisville, Kentucky
15 attraction reviews
“Nice tour to Shell Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We did the Shell Island tour. Price was reasonable and boat was professionally run. Grandma, parents and 9 year old all had a great time! Only downside was I could have stayed on Shell Island for several hours - so relaxing. Next time we might take their ferry service over.

Montevallo, Alabama, United States
11 attraction reviews
“Great group of guys, but learned a lesson about "Party Boat" style fishing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My inlaws, wife and myself took a 5 hour deep sea fishing trip with these guys during our recent trip to PCB and it was kind of a mixed bag. The staff on the boat were really great and treated us quite well. Once we arrived to the fishing spot though, tangled lines soon became extremely aggrivating. The inability of those around us to pay attention and take steps to avoid tangling into our lines just about ruined the fishing portion of the trip. Our deckhand tried his very best though, and actually did a pretty good job of keeping things going. It was just the nature of that style of fishing expedition and I learned that the next time I want to go, it's time to do a private charter.

Now, the absolutely coolest thing about the expedition and something we will all remember for a long time were the dolphins. A group of dolphins found us and stayed with us for most of the trip, coming very close and just generally being awesome. Got to see a shark as well. That part was great.

So yeah, this is a good group of folks, but just don't expect to have a top notch fishing experience out on this kind of trip.

Visited July 2013
Michelle G, Manager at Capt. Anderson's Marina, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Greg,
You sound like the type of person who can make the most delicious lemonade out of lemons and I'm so glad your trip ended up being a good one~!
You are correct that sometimes on the short trips you may get somebody next to you that is brand new to bottom fishing, or just plain won't pay attention and doesn't keep their lines taut. It seems simple, but with bottom/reef fishing - that's all it takes! Just keep the slack out of your line - no problems and more time to catch fish!
Thankfully, that isn't the norm, and as you said there are trained deckhands on board to help from the beginning of your trip till the end when you take your stringer of fish.
Hope to see you again - maybe on a longer trip~!
Morehead, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
“Good Day Fishing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

12 hour deep sea fishing trip on the party boat was fun. The deck hand we had was very helpful, and we caught a lot of fish with some nice size. The only thing was, the boat would start catching a lot of fish, and the captain would move the boat. I guess he had to save some fish for the next trip. Oh well, fun anyways.