“It was ok...” 4 of 5 stars

Harrogate, Tennessee
14 attraction reviews
“It was ok...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The trip over there was slow, for our jet ski kept stalling out on us, so did a couple others. when we got there, it was later in the evening, so collectible shells were gone, the view was nice though.

Visited October 2011

St. Louis
3 attraction reviews
“Clear Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

If you like clear water and a nice beach, it is worth the trip. I was neck deep in the water and it was like being in a clear swimming pool only you have real waves. The bad part is you must take everything you need and carry it a good distance, so if you want a place in the shade, you must take the shade with you. Like the guy navigating the people ferry to the island said "we don't take many lobsters to Shell Island, but we bring many back". We rented the double kayak and paddled around the jetty rocks to the beach. This was more work and not as fun as I though it would be; the waves, the rocks, my back. Bad decision on my part, but we saw a dolphin about 15 feet away when we went around the end of the rocks. I guess there are shells there, but you must work at it to find anything decent. My wife and son went to gator lake, saw a three legged gator and some guy getting close enough to be gator bait.

Wilburton, Oklahoma
14 attraction reviews
“Short Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I wasn't impressed. Didn't see any dolphins. There wasn't any shells. And probaly what few there was, they were already picked over. I picked up more shells on the beach I was staying at.

Sunbright, TN
“Mixed Feelings About Shell Island...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We took a boat over to the island from mainland St. Andrews State Park, $16.95 per adult and $7.95 per child, with an $8 fee to enter the state park (too much, in my opinion). Shell Island was beautiful, but a couple of things deter me from visiting there again:
YES, there were many small and medium sized shells on the island, BUT if you visit sections of any mainland beach at the right times, you are likely to find some similar.
YES, the boat ride was fun (approx. 10 min), BUT it was a major boating/jet ski area, and even though I'm pretty comfortable on the water, there were times that we were jumping waves that I didn't feel safe with, especially with small children, sitting on benches on an open passenger "floater" boat.
YES, the island is beautifully uninhabited, BUT there was a very dramatic near-drowning incident while we were there, and there were no lifeguards/flotation devices/emergency help of any sort, and even the boat dock where they drop you off was a 10-minute walk around the side of the island. There were more than a 100 people along the shore line and barely a single person would go help save the drowning teenager. You are on your own.
Also, keep in mind there are no facilities on the island. Many people brought coolers or pop up tents to make a day of it.
In short, too expensive for the experience.

Panama City Beach, Florida
26 attraction reviews
“Big Bang for your Bucks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Had a couple of friends down here visiting in PC and we decided to go to Shell Island on the Captain Anderson III with Captain Ron, Al, and Nikki. Was kind of nice being a local tourist for the day. Had an enjoyable boat ride with shaded upper and interior lower seating. Adequate snack bar and restrooms on board. For $20 or less, depending on age, you get an hour ride to the island, an hour on the island, and an hour return trip with a brief detour to the jettys and state park area. If they're out and about, the dolphins will pay a visit as well. A good value for an enjoyable three hour tour.