“Awful staff and DANGEROUS ride.” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: Plunge, ride, whirl, dunk, swim - whew! At the end of your day at Shipwreck Island, you'll be exhilarated, exhausted and soaked. Visit our tropical themed water park in Panama City Beach, Florida. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
“Awful staff and DANGEROUS ride.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The rapids are awful. There's signs everywhere that say if you have any kind (and they mean ANY) health problems to not ride it. Whilst waiting, We saw numerous people trying to get off the ride. There are lifeguards at every turn, and did little to help. They were far more concerned in talking to one another. While I was on it, my behind hit the bottom of the slide and my hip literally locked into place. I started screaming for them to help, but it wasn't until I said I was hurt that they paid attention. And all they asked was if I had hit my head. They eventually got me out, but did little to help in the ways of walking back until a group of men in Polo shirts came and talked to me and my mother.
That slide needs to be shut down immediately. It isn't safe.

Visited June 2013
mspswi, Public Relations Manager at Shipwreck Island Waterpark, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Even though it is the second oldest ride in the park, the raging rapids remains the most popular ride at Shipwreck.
There are two signs that are the accepted best practices signs by the amusement, theme park and waterpark industries. Those signs state that if you have had previous neck, back, or heart conditions (NOT ANY) we don't recommend you ride the ride. There is another sign that recommends if you are above your recommended weight, we suggest you do not ride.
There are lifeguards all over the ride and they are all trained to assist and aid every guest. They help parents with children who are afraid to complete the ride to be able to exit occasionally. We are sorry it was too rough. We encourage people to observe the ride while they are in the queue and decide if the ride is something they would enjoy doing.

Los Angeles, California
8 attraction reviews
“Very Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Shipwreck Island is a fun place for the whole family! I really enjoyed the Zoom Flume, and a white slide that has a multi-rider float, but I cant remember the name. The only issue I had was very long, very small rides like the tree-top drop; we had to wait an hour for it, and all it is is a zipline that you drop into a pool. It was fun, but not at all worth a long wait. Other than that, its a great place to spend with the whole family.

“Beer & Water Rides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Awesome Water Park! They even let you drink a beer while going down one of the huge water slides! I definitely will be coming back!

Visited August 2012
Cincinnati, OH
11 attraction reviews
“Good small water park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This park isn't as large and doesn't have the larger and more aggressive slides like some of the more modern parks elsewhere, but it is definitely worth a visit if in WPB. It feels pretty retro like it hasn't changed much in 30 years but the old slides are still worth a ride. The price felt a little steep given the size (33 bucks/person), but the park was clean, wait times on a Monday were minimal, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Ansbach, Germany
13 attraction reviews
“Fun for all ages. Friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Based on the people who were there it is safe to say that there is something for everyone here, young or old. As others have said it is not a big park.
It is currently opened 1030-1700 daily. We got there at 1045 and there were already a lot of people in the park. We spent around 4 hours there.
Admission is $33 per adult and a locker will set you back $6. So value for money is so-so. I say that because you are next to the ocean but I also realize that when the red flags are up it is safer for the kids in a pool.
Food is available at a reasonable price. The usual fast food plus pulled pork sandwiches and Chick-Fil-A is available from one of the serving windows. Alcoholic beverages are also available.
The lifeguards and the folks operating the rides are all young and all very friendly. Some of that Southern hospitality!
Watch out for the afternoon thunderstorms this time of the year on the Gulf coast. If you get to the park early you should get plenty of activities in before the weather becomes a factor.
In summary I would recommend the park.