“AWSOME!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Hogansville, Georgia, United States
“AWSOME!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just when we thought it couldn't get any better....they surprised us again!!! It just gets better and better! There cannot be any hotel, any where, with a better staff!!! They are unbelievably helpful with anything you need! Our room was clean and comfortable! Hopefully our Beach Bum Reunion will always be at the Chateau! Couldn't ask for more!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We continue to strive to make our guests experience a memorable one. We look forward to the reunions each year and now we can enjoy them twice! We hope that we have many more years to come and will do everything possible to make it comfortable and fun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I selected this Motel, because I was looking for a place right on the Beach and for a single night I thought the rate is ok. Deluxe Beachview @ $74.- + Tx.
If you get there and see it from the road it's less of a Chateau (Castel), it's more a fortress!
The room itself, apart from the entrance door, which is very hard to open and close and the entry with its open sink area and the open wardrobe/closet space and opposite the newly renovated bathroom. The room is fine with everything you need, including large fridge, ( but you need to pay for ice at the machine or buy a bag at reception) flat screen TV but picture not always clear and sharp ( fridge uses the same power socket), but there is the balcony where you can enjoy a nice sundowner and check out the pool. And the beach is right at your footstep with the perfect powder white sand.

Room Tip: Take a Deluxe, it's on the top floor (4th floor from the beach level or 2nd floor from street l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Chateau with us and others. We take our guest feedback very seriously and do our best to correct any issues that they bring to our attention. The hotel was built in 1964 long before technology of today so the electrical issues are something we have to deal with the best that we can. However, the ice machines take quarters or tokens. Tokens are available at the front desk free of charge. This is done so that our guests will have ice for their rooms, otherwise everyone will be filling coolers and the ice machine will not be able to keep up with demand.

We do sit directly on the beach and have excellent views and beautiful sunsets to watch. Again, thank you for taking the time to share with us.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We found this hotel by accident a few years ago and we return every year now. I see a few negative reviews, but I think these people must be A.R. or expect more than they pay for, after all you get what you pay for. We are a 50-60 year old couple with grown children, so we come alone, but would also consider bringing our 6 y/o grandchild with us. She would love the pool and that part of the beach is just beautiful. We come after the crowds clear out and the kids go back to school. It is a relaxing place for older people with no small children. At the time that we go the "snow birds" (no disrespect) are starting to arrive and it is mostly older people. We meet a lot of interesting people from all over the country. We normally get a suite, although we have stayed in a regular kitchenette and a plain room one night while they got our suite ready. I cannot complain about any of the rooms. Yes, the suite offers more room and more storage, thats why we choose that room, but we've never had a bad room there. They are doing some re-modeling, so it will get better over time. Just ask for a recently remodeled room. The staff has always been friendly. We have never had a problem from the front desk to housekeeping to maintenance. If you will just talk to them, they can give you a lot of good tips on local restaurants (not the tourist traps), shopping and where to get the best prices. I saw another review about "Take back the beach" and I have to agree with that. The bands were "head banging". Maybe they should have that in the spring before spring break because at the time there were a lot of older people who just left and went to their rooms and stilll couldn't get away from the music because it was so loud. I agree with that person. If it had been a mix of music. It would have been better. I know it's hard to satisfy everyone, but the music they played while testing the sound equipment was way better than the bands. You have to think about who your clientel is this time of year. This is my only complaint and I realize it was for locals. That's why I said spring might be better. We had our first and only issue this trip and one call to the front desk it was taken care of immediately. Awesome service. I can't remember everyone's names, but Star, Sarge, Big Mike, Nick, Cassandra, the male houskeeper from Jamaca were all awesome and another house keeper (and I hate to specify race) but because I don't know her name I will say that she was a small, short black girl with pretty, curley hair. She was a big help one day and I looked for her the rest of the day to give her a tip and didn't see her again. I would have tipped at the time but left my purse in the room and didn't have any cash in my pocket. We always go toward the end of September or first of October. My only suggestion would be to have a party for older people during that time. Like some old rock or southern rock/mild country. Maybe that isn't what your staffers would choose depending on their age, but you have to realize that you do have that age group in the fall. Love the football on the big screen out on the deck. We loved the Karokee last year by the pool. Keep up the good work Chateau, but do remember us older folk. We have more discretionary income.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Chateau with us and others. We appreciate your repeat business and hope for many return trips in the years to come. It was unfortunate that you were here during the "retake the beach" event. We did our best to inform all guests that booked directly with us about the event and activities that would be going on to allow them the opportunity to book another time.

Thank you for all your kind comments about our staff and it is nice to know that someone takes advantage of the knowledge of the local area they have.
Owensboro, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Staff very friendly. We had two issues with our room and it was taken care of immediately. However during my 6 day vacation I lost two days due to some sort of band activity going on at the motel. The motel had many bands playing over the weekend. It was way too loud and we are not into that sort of music. Had it been old rock and roll or country or even a mix maybe it would have been better. As it was you couldn't enjoy the pool for all the drunks. As for the amenities: there are none. You had to pay for ice from the machine. There is no elevator. The vending machines always took our money. My friend is handicapped and we had a car sticker but many many times the handicapped parking spots were being used by non handicapped patrons. The windows in the room overlooking the ocean do not have screens so you either had to sit on the balcony or sit inside the room to enjoy the ocean. You aren't allowed to use your own floats in the pool and I found that odd. Our overall experience was a learning one. Yes, we were treated nicely. Yes, it was not overpriced. However...Would I stay here again? I honestly don't think so. I've stayed at several motels along the shoreline in PCB and would not recommend this one. I thought I'd done my research before my vacation but I was disappointed with my overall experience. Spend the extra money and upgrade your motel for a better overall experience. Had we not already paid in advance and would not get any refunds...we certainly would have found another motel. As it was, we had to stick it out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third level. Parking lot level.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and your kind comments about our staff. It was unfortunate that you were here during the "retake the beach" event. We did our best to inform all guests that booked directly with us about the event and activities that would be going on. We are sorry that for whatever reason you were not aware of this and would have happily under the circumstances refunded monies if you had brought your situation and dissatisfaction to our staff. We do allow guest's to use their own floats in our pool so I am not sure what happened with this but I am sorry that you were not allowed to use yours. There are no screens in any of our windows for safety reasons but all rooms have a balcony were you may enjoy the view. Our staff takes all concerns brought to their attention very seriously and try to do everything in the power to address concerns.

Thank you again for letting us know about your recent experience.
Mauk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I are from the Columbus, GA area and have been frequent weekenders to PC (me since the 70's and him since childhood). Great feel for the old style PC. We had the cabana and yes we had to climb two flights down, but the beach was right there when we opened our door. My granddaughter could play in the sand right outside the door. All of the staff were very friendly. I was happy with the overall appearance of the room. Loved the special soaps. This the place to go if you are there for the beach. I would highly recommend the Chateau if you are going for the beach.

Room Tip: We liked the cabanas because were on beach level. You do have to go two flights down which means you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Ms Jeanne Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Chateau with us and others. We are so glad that we are the place that you stay when you come to PCB and we are one of the only remaining non high rise places to stay on the beach. Our "old feel for PC' as you so nicely stated is one of our trademarks. We even sell t-shirts that say "kickin it old school".

Thank you for recommending us and all of your kind comments. We look forward to many visits in the future from you and your family / friends.
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Trip Advisor to me, is one of the trusted online places I personally depend on for my decision making for my travel reservations. This time the reviews really let me down. Next time I will read on before making any reservation based on a quick check as I did and also saw they won a trip advisor award this year. Totally disappointing!

Unfortunately when I booked this motel in a hurry one night, I had only read the first page of reviews before I made my online booking. What a mistake that was, live and learn!

I was very very disappointed with my accommodations; I had booked a cabana room on the beach, which I did receive. Upon arrival, I was greeted nicely by the front desk staff and check in went smooth and fast, although I did find it a bit odd they have you initial a paper with 4 or 5 things on it that you must read and acknowledge, one being there is NO REFUND for early checkouts if you decide to leave for any reason (so keep this in mind, as this is important later you will see why).

Normally I book a condo for a week but I was only staying a few days on my way back from my birthday celebration elsewhere and wanted to enjoy a few days at the beach on my way home.

Pictures from a distance are certainly deceiving. The online pictures of the rooms, etc. make it look nice and clean, etc. but close up, when you are actually THERE, you can see all the stains on the bed sheets, the worn, tattered bed linens, and these things are very outdated, worn, my bed blanket had holes in it and the other blanket I'd never even think of putting up on me, as there were hairs all over it! The sheets when I pulled them up over my head, were so thin you could see thru them. And the bed sheets had a foul odor to the point where I could not get to sleep for the longest time and even after I checked out I swear I still had that odor in my nose for hours! It was awful, I don't know what it was, but it certainly grossed me out.

We had a room with 2 beds, and the mattresses were very old and worn, and even bowed!! Mine was the worst, it dipped down very bad in the middle and was very noticeable from the start. The one bed had pieces of foam falling from it onto the floor. (I have pics I am going to post as a follow up.)

I then wondered what I got myself into. It was late, it was rainy and I was tired from driving all day to get there. So for the night I decided to try to make the most of it and ride it out.

The rooms are now smoke free (I am to understand it wasn't that way before; I don't smoke, so no problem); but it's way too late for that in my mind, because the smoky, musty stale smoke odor is still in the rooms and carpet, drapes, etc. and it is gross.

Outside of my room, I sat on the patio and you could see everywhere you looked, cigarette butts everywhere in the sand on the beach; it's like a giant cigarette butt litter box outside of the beachfront rooms. Sad that people have to throw it out there like that and can't pick up after themselves.

The carpet in the room is so old and dirty, you can no longer tell what color it used to be. It's the worst motel carpet I've ever laid eyes on! The whole time I was there I kept my shoes on, there is no way I'd walk in bare feet or even socks on that grossly dirt laden carpet! (I took photos of this too and will post). If you have kids, please don't let them on that yucky carpet!

There's an ancient iron (it's super old, worn, and probably the oldest dirtiest iron I've ever seen in my life) and an ironing board of the same quality, to go with it. They appear to be as old as the hotel. There's a super old hairdryer, all excessively clogged may I add, with other people's hair and that was gross. Another one of those "old as the hotel" looking items.

The acoustical tile ceiling, wow that was awful, it was all sagging, each tile was tattered, stained, or falling, and you felt like you were staying in somebody's old cramped, messy, musty, stale smoke odor riddled basement; and over by the bathroom there was one of the tiles that was lifted up into the rafters and anything could have crawled in thru there I am sure! I didn't see any bugs thankfully, but trust me, I sure expected some and had my eyes out for them. If I had seen any, I would have been at that front desk pronto for a check out. That would have done it for me.

The rooms certainly lack style and charm. It's just a basement feel and very dingy at that.

Door to our room, oh that lovely door that I quickly learned to hate. First off it was very dirty and messy on the inside and was the dirtiest door inside of a room I've ever seen. Looks like it needed a good cleaning for many years now. And it would not close! It would not latch, and it would NOT LOCK!!!! The chain on the door was missing, and those things aren't worth much anyways for safety. I kept slamming and slamming and slamming the door trying to get it to shut and stay shut; finally after about 10 minutes I got it to shut and finally lock, then I wondered if I would be able to get out in the morning. Thankfully I did but the door shutting/locking issue needs addressed; guest safety lacking on this issue really raised my eyebrows.

The room has very little electrical outlets, so bring an extension cord if you are bringing a laptop or something; as there's nothing near the table, the closest outlet is over at the refrigerator/microwave area across the room. Speaking of the refrigerator, it was old, dirty and had some hair I had to wipe out of it, but I must say it was ice cold! And the microwave I'd not even think of touching, as it was all slimy/smeary on the outside and I wasn't going to open it to even see what was on the inside! Hadn't been cleaned in forever by its' appearance.

The motel is older yes, and I was aware of that when I booked it; but is also very very run down and in need of some improvements desperately. They have a great location and would have a great place if they would remodel the rooms and put some capital into it.

If you are staying on the lower levels you have to walk past these low light, murky water laden hallways to get to the other sets of stairs that you have to go down to get to your room. At the time of our arrival it was raining, and all the walkways and stairs were very slippery; and the hallway area near laundry and maintenance after the 1st set of stairs, had water running from overhead down onto you.

I have to point out that there are a few good things about this place, one is that the A/C was so cold we almost froze (however this was because it would not adjust and was evidently broken while set on the lowest temperature); the front desk staff was friendly and efficient; and the maid I encountered was very friendly and nice and so was her gentleman helper. The next morning as I was leaving it was pouring down rain and he offered to help me with my luggage, and saw me having an issue trying to close the motel room door so he stopped. He told me not to worry about the door, it's "always like that". In my mind, I just shook my head in disgust over the non closing/latching door. I couldn't wait to get out of there and on the road to home.

And yes, I left, the very next morning. I felt compelled to stay there our very first night since it was paid for and all and we gave it a chance; but I couldn't even envision staying there another night. I knew to talk to them about the situation would do no good, they know what the situation is with their hotel I am sure; and checking out early I'd get no refund; (remember they have you initial that paper I mentioned earlier to this effect!) so I cut my losses and just went home.

Let it be known I have never in my life, left the beach early.....and this is the very first time in my life that I did. Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

They do have on site laundry, the location is great right on the beach, the employees we encountered were nice; but over all this place really needs gutted and remodeled, and I would certainly NOT recommend it for anyone nor will I return. Save yourself and go stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Any room NOT in this hotel would be great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Sometimes we do not always like to hear the bad things but we do use them as a tool to improve. We appreciate your kind comments about the staff and will pass your review on to them.

We understand the issues surrounding the rain and some of this we can not control. However, we will do our best to address the issues that we can. We also take guest concerns very seriously and do our best to resolve any issues immediately when brought to our attention.

Again, that you for letting us know about your recent experience.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this place based on the Trip Advisor reviews and award they received. My first impression was the hallways. They were dark and dingy and had water all on the floors and water dripping from the ceiling from the upper floors. Then, of course, there are no elevators, so if you had a room or "Cabana" by the beach, you had to walk down several flights of stairs with your luggage to get to your room. That could be over looked as this is an old hotel. But once I got to my room, all was not okay! The carpet, bed linens and blankets were very worn, stained and old. The ceiling panels were warped and sagging and the mattress was bowed and also sagging and looked like it had been slept in for the last 40 years. I had a hard time staying here when we arrived, but we had no other place to go and already paid money for the room, so we figured we would stay and make the best of it. The room appeared clean on the surface (excluding the carpet and blankets) and I saw no bugs, but I was looking for them. The door had to be slammed several times before it would lock and this would be every time I closed it. In fact, on the morning I left, it would no even shut, let alone lock!! The sheets had such an odor that it actually woke me up and I could not get back to sleep! I actually felt so nasty in my room that I walked around with socks on and slept fully clothed! And I cleaned the tub before I took my shower!!! The next day I decided to leave, even though I paid for more than 1 night. This hotel has a 7 day cancellation policy, so I lost 1 night stay. I understand it is by the beach, but I have stayed at other beach hotels that are right on the beach and paid the same rate and they were nice. I will say that the staff was very nice. But I would never stay here again!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank your for your kind comments about our staff. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and if a guest has any concerns that they bring to our attention we do our very best to resolve these to the guest satisfaction.

Been to Chateau Motel? Share your experiences!