“They're trying.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Panama City
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“They're trying.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

The staff was extremely friendly and the room was clean. You can tell they are trying but it's not quite there. My room had been painted, but they didn't paint the ceiling or around the sprinkler, making them look dirty. The red tub was just odd but if you're going to keep it, adapt the room's color palette to work with it; ie don't paint the trim teal. The stucco walls belong outside, not inside. On the upside, if you like fountains, this is the place for you. The indoor pool was neat.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Juliet Y,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry some aspects of our hotel were not to your liking. I am pleased that our staff was able to offset this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our pool facilities.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Panama City, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review as I lay here still in room, trying to breath and relax and go to sleep. But there is so much smoke coming in here in this "non smoking" hotel!! I've called front desk and guy was really nice, sent security up here (6th fl) but sprayed and apparently that's it. It smelled better for a few minutes now really smoky again. My chest is actually hurting and I'm on verge of panic attack. Earlier we got off elevator and group if people in sitting areA smoking but unsure if it was a nonsmoking area I didn't say anything. The room is fairly clean except for 2 pubic (?) hairs in tub but I could also see where tub was wiped so accidents happen I can let it go I guess. The decor is old and yucky looking though. And red tub???? I knew when booking the rm but didn't get full effect f we got here. But I will say from the smoke alone, WE WILL BE SEEING ABOUT CHECKKNG OUT EARLY TMRW.!!! (Was booked for 3 days but I can't take it) definitely will not come back here or recommend it. The only thing positive is the awesomely nice guy at front desk. I mean seriously we were staying here because it IS a HOLIDAY INN, which we normally love, AnD an added bonus if a $50 rebate from weekend booming with MasterCard (current promo) I don't even care at this point! Ill gladly forego that for a full price CLEAN SMOKE FREE HOTEL!

• Stayed August 2013
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are a non-smoking hotel but we do offer designated smoking areas located outside for the guests to use if they choose. When we are informed of a concern with smoke, we do our best to try to find the source and advise the guest of the smoking areas located outside. We do hope you enjoyed your visit to Panama City and that you will give our hotel another try if you’re ever in our area again.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I cannot describe what a wonderful experience the entire staff made my stay. From the awesome counter staff to the upbeat maids and maintenance employees , this place is staffed by the best team spirited group I have been lucky enough to experience. The Chances R lounge bartenders are the funnest people , Syd and Angie stand out. The restaurant is clean, the food is excellent and a value at the prices. Great breakfast buffet. I really can't say enough positive things about this hotel , they way it is run or the wonderful people who work here.

• Stayed July 2013
Ringgold, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel was overall nice. My issue was: we booked a King room and was told it had a queen sleeper sofa in it. Upon check in we were told none of their rooms have sleeper sofas. So we asked for a roll away bed. They told us they'd have to see if they could locate one. -So we went to our room and patiently waited. We had to call them to find out if one was available because they didn't call us to tell us they didn't locate one. So, then the only option was to cram the kids in the bed with us or they'd have to sleep on the floor and there is NO way my kids was sleeping on a hotel floor- especially a stained hotel floor! The staff had a very rude tone and they acted like they didn't want to help and like it was our fault. (Even though I booked with a live agent with the Holiday Inn over the phone not through my own internet search/ reservation.) Another thing, they have really neat looking antique wall phones in the lobby area. So my daughter and her friend were standing with their hand on them while I took a picture. They weren't picking them up just propped on them. A staff member came over and rudely let us know that the phones ring to the front desk so don't pick them up. (FYI: If you get tired of hearing them ring to the front desk- take off the wiring and just use as a display.) The front desk is like 6 steps away! We did not like the red bathtubs... they were just creepy and VERY slick. My daughter fell and hit the whirlpool jet which left a huge red wept up her hip and then it has turned into a huge black and blue bruise. Last thing, every room has a NO SMOKING sign on the door; however, as soon as you get off the elevator you can smell cigarette smoke. It would be nice if they'd use stricter enforcement for this issue! The hotel is an older hotel that has been remodeled, and is nicely vintage looking however I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: "No sleeper sofas- make sure there's enough sleeping area on beds" "Pool is indo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are so sorry to hear about the experience you had at our hotel; we make every attempt to fulfill each of our guests expectations, I am sorry we have failed to meet these for you. This particular weekend we had a high demand for rollaway beds and while they are based on availability, we did make every attempt to find one to fulfill your request and make your stay more comfortable but were unable to as they were all in use. We are currently investigating where you might had been given the information that we had sleeper sofas to make sure this information is not given to another guest. If you recall where it was that you received the information from we’d love to hear from you at info@paradisefound.com so we can see to it that a correction is made. We value you as our customer and would love the opportunity to have you as our guest again, if you choose to give us a second chance please contact the hotel directly to make you next reservation with our Assistant GM as she is aware of your last visit with us, and will assure you we will exceed your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and found the stay very nice. Our room was clean. The beds were comfortable. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. There were lots of choices and everything we tried was tasty.

• Stayed June 2013
Crawfordville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was a little nervous about making reservations here. But I was very surprised and happy with the selection. It is a older hotel that has been made over, but they did a really good job. The only thing we all found odd was the RED bathtubs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel on TripAdvisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and you enjoyed the amenities we offer. We hope that you’ll visit us again soon; thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Select.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I am not pleased with our weekend stay at this hotel!! It was stated that the hotel is Smoke-Free but someone smoked the entire weekend across the hall from us!! I am not satisfied! I reported it to the manager on duty and he said there wasn't anything he could do about it on Saturday night.. Marijuana smoke and cigarette/cigar the entire weekend! Our stay was awful! We stayed here last year and hoped to continue to stay but I think Not!!

• Stayed June 2013

Nicole S.

Been to Holiday Inn Select Panama City? Share your experiences!