“NOT a relaxing stay!!” 2 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Panama City
“NOT a relaxing stay!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review as I lay here still in room, trying to breath and relax and go to sleep. But there is so much smoke coming in here in this "non smoking" hotel!! I've called front desk and guy was really nice, sent security up here (6th fl) but sprayed and apparently that's it. It smelled better for a few minutes now really smoky again. My chest is actually hurting and I'm on verge of panic attack. Earlier we got off elevator and group if people in sitting areA smoking but unsure if it was a nonsmoking area I didn't say anything. The room is fairly clean except for 2 pubic (?) hairs in tub but I could also see where tub was wiped so accidents happen I can let it go I guess. The decor is old and yucky looking though. And red tub???? I knew when booking the rm but didn't get full effect f we got here. But I will say from the smoke alone, WE WILL BE SEEING ABOUT CHECKKNG OUT EARLY TMRW.!!! (Was booked for 3 days but I can't take it) definitely will not come back here or recommend it. The only thing positive is the awesomely nice guy at front desk. I mean seriously we were staying here because it IS a HOLIDAY INN, which we normally love, AnD an added bonus if a $50 rebate from weekend booming with MasterCard (current promo) I don't even care at this point! Ill gladly forego that for a full price CLEAN SMOKE FREE HOTEL!

• Stayed August 2013
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are a non-smoking hotel but we do offer designated smoking areas located outside for the guests to use if they choose. When we are informed of a concern with smoke, we do our best to try to find the source and advise the guest of the smoking areas located outside. We do hope you enjoyed your visit to Panama City and that you will give our hotel another try if you’re ever in our area again.

Nicole S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I cannot describe what a wonderful experience the entire staff made my stay. From the awesome counter staff to the upbeat maids and maintenance employees , this place is staffed by the best team spirited group I have been lucky enough to experience. The Chances R lounge bartenders are the funnest people , Syd and Angie stand out. The restaurant is clean, the food is excellent and a value at the prices. Great breakfast buffet. I really can't say enough positive things about this hotel , they way it is run or the wonderful people who work here.

• Stayed July 2013
Ringgold, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel was overall nice. My issue was: we booked a King room and was told it had a queen sleeper sofa in it. Upon check in we were told none of their rooms have sleeper sofas. So we asked for a roll away bed. They told us they'd have to see if they could locate one. -So we went to our room and patiently waited. We had to call them to find out if one was available because they didn't call us to tell us they didn't locate one. So, then the only option was to cram the kids in the bed with us or they'd have to sleep on the floor and there is NO way my kids was sleeping on a hotel floor- especially a stained hotel floor! The staff had a very rude tone and they acted like they didn't want to help and like it was our fault. (Even though I booked with a live agent with the Holiday Inn over the phone not through my own internet search/ reservation.) Another thing, they have really neat looking antique wall phones in the lobby area. So my daughter and her friend were standing with their hand on them while I took a picture. They weren't picking them up just propped on them. A staff member came over and rudely let us know that the phones ring to the front desk so don't pick them up. (FYI: If you get tired of hearing them ring to the front desk- take off the wiring and just use as a display.) The front desk is like 6 steps away! We did not like the red bathtubs... they were just creepy and VERY slick. My daughter fell and hit the whirlpool jet which left a huge red wept up her hip and then it has turned into a huge black and blue bruise. Last thing, every room has a NO SMOKING sign on the door; however, as soon as you get off the elevator you can smell cigarette smoke. It would be nice if they'd use stricter enforcement for this issue! The hotel is an older hotel that has been remodeled, and is nicely vintage looking however I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: "No sleeper sofas- make sure there's enough sleeping area on beds" "Pool is indo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are so sorry to hear about the experience you had at our hotel; we make every attempt to fulfill each of our guests expectations, I am sorry we have failed to meet these for you. This particular weekend we had a high demand for rollaway beds and while they are based on availability, we did make every attempt to find one to fulfill your request and make your stay more comfortable but were unable to as they were all in use. We are currently investigating where you might had been given the information that we had sleeper sofas to make sure this information is not given to another guest. If you recall where it was that you received the information from we’d love to hear from you at info@paradisefound.com so we can see to it that a correction is made. We value you as our customer and would love the opportunity to have you as our guest again, if you choose to give us a second chance please contact the hotel directly to make you next reservation with our Assistant GM as she is aware of your last visit with us, and will assure you we will exceed your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and found the stay very nice. Our room was clean. The beds were comfortable. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. There were lots of choices and everything we tried was tasty.

• Stayed June 2013
Crawfordville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was a little nervous about making reservations here. But I was very surprised and happy with the selection. It is a older hotel that has been made over, but they did a really good job. The only thing we all found odd was the RED bathtubs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel on TripAdvisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It’s great to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and you enjoyed the amenities we offer. We hope that you’ll visit us again soon; thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Select.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I am not pleased with our weekend stay at this hotel!! It was stated that the hotel is Smoke-Free but someone smoked the entire weekend across the hall from us!! I am not satisfied! I reported it to the manager on duty and he said there wasn't anything he could do about it on Saturday night.. Marijuana smoke and cigarette/cigar the entire weekend! Our stay was awful! We stayed here last year and hoped to continue to stay but I think Not!!

• Stayed June 2013

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

ok - it was dead, and there was only one. It was a definitely a bed bug as I matched it on the Internet. Freaked out, I asked them to put me elsewhere. I felt bad for the front desk girl - she tried hard but wasn't given the tools to succeed. They offered to let me leave free and put me at a best western for $85. Of course, I'm interested in points - which I'm surprised they didn't instantly say - we're sorry, here's 20,000 points...but whatever. And needless to say - sleep I didn't. Even though there wasn't, I felt bugs swarming me all night - although that was mental due to my experience.

Finally, I took a different room on a different floor. The front desk girl came with me - we came in - it had hairs on the floor, stuff on the bed....lint, hair, etc. Still gross....but it was midnight - what can you do. As or the bed bug, clearly they fumigate - or I'd have found a lot more...so that's a good sign.

As at all Holiday Inns, the breakfast was nasty - french toast sticks, etc. I wasn't going to eat here anyway.

Overall the structure is old, a flat out dump. It goes to show you - if it doesn't have the light green HI sign, don't stay there. I only did because it met the comopany budget.

But honestly, I'd sleep in my car next time b4 staying here - it's that bad.

The front desk girl was very nice and did the best she could - so kudos to her.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Panama City, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Traveler,
We are so sorry to hear of your experience at our hotel. You are correct that our hotel is older and because of that we are constantly working to maintain it, but what you described is not the level of excellence we expect for our hotel. We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I will make sure to forward it to our General Manager so that he is aware of the items you mentioned. We appreciate you giving our hotel a try and are sincerely sorry of your experience. We hope you have a better stay the next time you visit Panama City.
Nicole S.

Been to Holiday Inn Select Panama City? Share your experiences!