“Caution: Very POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hathaway Inn

Save Saved
You added Hathaway Inn to your Saves list
Hathaway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5126 W US 98, Panama City, FL 32401 (Formerly Sleep Inn Panama City)   |
Ranked #18 of 33 hotels in Panama City
Troy
“Caution: Very POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I do not recommend the Sleep Inn to anyone. The staff and management charge you for towels and sheets unneccesarily. I disliked the rooms. Our toilet overflowed in the first room we got and the smell of smoke choked me. It is very cheap and nasty. Stay on the strip or somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

We stayed here for a business trip because of the hotel's proximity to Gulf Coast Community College, it's right across the street. The air conditioning in both my room and a colleague's was nonfunctional. The refrigerator was very loud and when I opened it to turn it down, I found some old boiled peanuts that had been left inside. Yuk! Although I was in a hall with a huge sign that read, "Non-smoking, $100 fine if you are caught smoking", at one point it smelled like someone was smoking right in my room. The room was tiny, no closet, no bathtub, pretty minimal. The television was ancient, had weird color and fuzzy. The coffee served the next morning at the breakfast bar was undrinkable! It was an inexpensive place to stay during spring break season, but I would not stay there again. The staff was pleasant and did offer an excellent dinner suggestion, the Captain's Table, not too far, with wonderful local seafood.

• Liked — Proximity to Gulf Coast Community College.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

The rates were very reasonable. The rooms were very clean. Love the shower! Head houskeeper was very friendly. They always met our expectations. Front desk staff were kind in giving us directions to restaurants and other locations. Prime location to the beaches and the downtown. I would recommand this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Ecellent shower
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ALABAMA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We decided on Sleep Inn based on the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The Sleep Inn was rated #3 in the motel listings, and the reviews were accurate as far as they went….BUT…. none mentioned the fact that the motel sat AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHT, in the “Y”, of two, MAJOR, four lane highways! We did very little sleeping.

If the motel has any quiet rooms at all, they could only be on the front to the right of the lobby; all the other rooms are approximately 20 to 60 feet from one or both of these highways. Judging from the noise, the one that runs along the entire rear of the motel must be a truck route bypass (from hwy 98 to hwy 231).

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Traffic noise!
  • Tips/Secrets — Rooms on front of motel to the right of lobby MAY be quiet (just a guess)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

After searching online for a place to stay while in Panama City we deceided on Sleep Inn. This was largely due in fact to the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The Sleep Inn was rated #3 in motel listings for Panama City. Our stay there wasn't horrible, about a 3 out of 5, but it wasn't what I expected. The best thing about the motel was it's location. It's near the mall and shopping on 23rd St in Panama City and just a short drive over the bridge from the beaches. The appearance of the motel outside and in was nice, and it appeared to be in good repair. The lobby was pleasant with an elevator right by the front desk. This was the first trip I had booked online and check-in went smoothly. We got there before 3pm, so after driving around a bit we came back and our room was ready. The biggest surprise was the size of our room. I had requested the larger, walk-in shower, which was nice and big. The only problem being, in order for the shower to be larger, it extended into the "living area" of the room. The outer wall of the shower formed a large curved surface that extended into the room. This wall also made entering the room narrow, due to the TV set being placed on the corner of the desk, right as you walk in. We had to actually move the TV on the desk, to keep from knocking it off, bringing suitcases into the room. Also, in requesting the walk-in shower, we gave up having a tub. The "seperate" room that the shower and toilet occupied wasn't seperated by a normal door, but instead by a sliding door that didn't really close very well. That took some getting used to. The room only had 1 suitcase "table" where you could lay your suitcase. It was under the only clothes rack in the room where the larger than average refrigerator (good) and microwave were located. That meant, in order to hang clothes up, they had to hang down on top of the microwave and over your open suitcase. My suitcase was smaller so I used the chair inthe room as a suitcase stand. A folding suitcase stand would be an easy solution to this problem. That left only 1 chair to sit in, the rolling office chair in front of the desk. There was an iron and ironing board in the room, along with a hairdryer and coffee maker. The room was a Smoking room (booked online requesting Non-Smoking, no guarantees) but didn't smell that bad. The room was clean, just a bit cramped for what we paid. Ironically, the night before we checked in, we stayed in a random motel (Qulaity Inn) off of I-30 in Pensacola, that was much bigger, had all the same amenities, and was cheaper. The only problem with the staff we had was that we requested no housekeeping and had to ask for a Do Not Disturb sign at the desk to hang on the door. We prefer the privacy and would just pick up fresh towels every evening on returning to our room. On the third afternoon, we came back to the room to find the Do Not Disturb sign gone and the room had been made up. Abviously a communication problem, but it bothered us because the sign on the door was ignored. Called the desk and was told that the Manager would be informed. All in all the stay was fine. We stayed gone most of the time so the room size wasn't a big issue, just thought that for the price, it should have been bigger. We only took advantage of the Contentental breakfast the last morning and it was about average. It consisted of cereal, pastery, muffins, toast, coffee, but strangely no juice. I would have expected a motel in Fla to serve orange juice. They did have Belgin waffles that you could make yourself. They were easy to make and quite good! All in all, not a bad stay, just not what we expected.
Note: Avoid the crowds on the beach and eat at the restaurants on 23rd St. The motel is at the intersection of 23rd and Hwy 98 and it's just a short 10-15 min drive to a large selection of restaurants on 23rd St. Also, if you want a quiet, local place to go have a drink and relax, check out the No-Name Lounge, ,just about a mile up the road from the motel on the left, just before the bridge leading to the beaches. It's easy to miss so look close! It's small, quiet and they have a large deck out back that looks out over the bay. Very relaxing!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

My family stayed at the Sleep Inn in Panama City Florida this past Labor Day Weekend. I was very pleased with the hotel and I am very picky. We were told that the hotel was refurbished a few months before our stay and it showed. It had new carpet, paint, and wallpaper. We stayed in a room with two double beds. The room was small compared to some other hotels that we have stayed in but the cleanliness made up for that. The rooms can only be accessed through the main doors which is a great security feature. Another thing I liked and probably contributes to the cleanliness is the fact that no pets are allowed. The hotel pool is small but my children enjoyed their selves non the less. The free cont. breakfast is very good and you can even make yourself a hot waffle. The staff was very nice and helpful. We got a great price on the room through Travelocity and our AAA. We paid $67 per night. The hotel is not on the beach but it isn't very far away. We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Stayed September 2005
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I was in Panama City for a biz in June. We looking for something cheap and clean. We stopped at a few places once we arrived, but none gave good impressions. We stopped at the Sleep Inn, where we paid $81 a night for an exceptionally clean room, with a great and well lit stand up shower. They had a great cont. breakfast as well. I was very impressed with the clean rooms... I've stayed at five-star hotels with rooms not even half as clean. Housekeeping was great about coming back and cleaning our room once we were gone for the day, and the front desk staff was always friendly.. and gave us tips on where to go while in town. The hotel is also centrally located between the mall and the beach. The only downside was no biz. center... they do have internet connections in the rooms though. Sleep Inn definitely surprised us and exceeded our expectations of an economy line. I'd definitely stay here again, even when not on a budgeted trip.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hathaway Inn? Share your experiences!