“A Few Steps Below Orlando” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Orange Lake Panama City

Orange Lake Panama City
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Panama City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4200 Marriott Drive, Panama City, FL 32408   |
Ranked #29 of 33 hotels in Panama City
Towson, Maryland
“A Few Steps Below Orlando”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

As owners of a unit in the Orlando location of Orange Lake, the Panama City location had a lot of work cut out for them. We were informed that all Orange Lake locations were maintained the same way. This is not the case. The resort is not owned by Orange Lake. There is a small section, cut off from the main resort, that Orange Lake owners are placed in. There are no views, and mobile phone signals are non-existent. Cleanliness is not maintained in this side of the property. The amenities are also a lot smaller than its Orlando counterpart. Not many pools and attractions in this resort. Even though the property was a bust, employee service was great. They were really helpful in fulfilling guest needs and these services were always made in a prompt, and timely manner.

Room Tip: There is no choice for a good room, at least for us.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Conover, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I would not recommend this hotel. When we arrived we had to clean the floors because there was dirt and bugs on the floor. The furniture and carpet was very worn and dirty. We were on first floor, do not stay on first floor...very moldy smell. On the second night we were there we found a snake in the bathroom. We called the front desk and they said they would move us if we found another one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We purchased a unit in Panama City while visiting Orange Lake Orlando. We were told that all their locations were kept up the same as we were seeing there at Orlando. NOT
TRUE! After seeing our unit for the first time, we were so disappointed and felt we had been conned. Especially after we call Orange Lake every day for the next 7 days and found out the "Quality Control" & Salesman we had talked with were no longer with Orange Lake. We were given the name of the new "Quality Control" person but of course after numerous calls and left messages, we have still not heard from anyone from Orange Lake. We were told ALL their units had washer & dryers in them. Again, NOT TRUE! The nice matching furniture you see at OL Orlando does not exist in any
Panama City Unit. Carpets were old, worn, and the unit smelled like an old motel room.
You would not dare go barefoot to walk down the steps, because you would be guaranteed a splinter or paint chip in you foot. If you have ever been to OL Orlando and enjoyed the many, many amenities and extra's for being an owner, that does not exist at Panama City.
When we arrived, we had no idea where to check-in as that information was not in our confirmation letter. Upon finding the correct place to check-in, we find that there is no "Orange Lake' desk. It if subed (farmed) out to the Reflections Front Desk. And if you should ask any questions about the Orange Lake Units, you will hear about all the complaints they receive from people staying there and expecting more. They will not hesitate to tell you that the units are not that nice.
If you really think about it, you can pull up all kinds of info and pictures at the OL Orlando website, but there are no pictures of ANY units at Panama City. We asked about seeing what the units looked like when we purchased and were told they are just
like the OL Orlando units. Again, NOT TRUE! One specific question we asked before purchasing was "did all units have washer & dryers?" We were told "yes".
I think OL Orlando Sales is nothing short of a large group of con artists. They will tell you anything you want to hear, no matter if it is a lie. And as we read in other reviews, no one will call you back at all. I am calling the Orlando Better Business Bureau and filing a formal complaint. So Far, everything about Orange Lake is a "FRAUD"

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We have been OL Orlando owners for 6 years and this was our first vacation away from our "home" resort. We were traveling with our two teenage grand daughters. I expected the same OL standards (i.e cleanliness, etc.) as that is what Holiday Inn Clubs leads you to believe and didn't think I had to research the resort before I booked it. Lesson learned! The check-in process was confusing. OL only owns a building within the Marriott resort. Our confirmation letter didn't say anything about checking in at the Reflections Building. We went to the Marriott Building, whcih wasn't unusual to the Marriott staff at the desk, and they gave us directions. The gentleman who checked us in was very polite, gave us a map of the area, and took his time going over it with us. Basically, we had access to all of the Marriott pools and amenities. We stayed in a 1 bedroon unit, 3rd floor, that had dead mosquitoes on the walls & ceilings. The balcony was not screened so we figued more that one guest had left the door open. We did not get a good first impression. Overall, the unit was clean however the ground floor had trash outside some of the units that remained there from the time we arrived until we left. There are no washers/dryers in the units ,which we knew, however there is a laundry room for all to share. Not the cleanest of areas, broken screen on the door, floor needed to be swept, and a very hot place to do laundry during the day. We enjoyed the pool but, again, there was trash on the table that hadn't been picked up for days. We took the DolFun Cruise from the Marriott pier and had a wonderful time actually swimming with the dolphins off of Shell Island. There is a boat with scheduled departures to and from Shell Island which is free to Marriott guests but costs $15 per person for OL guests. You have to go into Panama City or Panama Beach City for sight seeing, mainly a young adult atmosphere. St. Andrews State Park was beautiful and provided a nice beach. The "beach" at the resort was mainly for watching the boat traffic and sunsets. We returned to our unit on our fourth night there and saw "palmetto bugs" on the stairs. We opend the door and found one crawling up the wall which grossed us all out. I called Holiday Inn, discribed the conditions, and told them I didn't want to finish our vacation in that unit, never mind that building. Luckily for us, we had driven to Panama City from our home in Tampa (6 hour drive) so we had our own car. They agreed to move us to a 2 bedroom unit in Orlando, another 6 hour drive, at no additonal expense. We finished our vacation in an atmosphere we were accustomed to. Long story short, do your homework! If you want a refrigerator and stove, you have to ask for an efficiency. Be carefull if you book a 2 bedroom unit otherwise you could end up with 2 adjoining "hotel" rooms and no appliances. One more thing, they don't tell you that the main security entrance closes at 10:00 PM! We had to find a security guard to tell us how to get back on the property. Interestingly enough, there is a back road into the resort with no security check point. Also, you need your room key to open the "gates" when you leave the OL property to access the Marriott property. Other than the accommadation issues, the Marriott recreational resort area is nice for familes with very young children or couples who want to relax. At this point I a not inclined to reccommend the OL resort but would reccommend exchanging points to stay at the Marriott!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

This resort was exactly what I was hoping for. My boyfriend and I as well as another person went down for Bike Week. I booked a 2BR,2BA condo. It was about 10 mins from the beach and for bike week I thought that was a perfect escape when we didn't want to hear our own roar of the motorcycles.

The security guard nicely greeted us as we entered the Marriott Property and told us about the slightly tricky check in at the Reflections building. The receptionist was absolutely wonderful and very friendly and helpful. When we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised at the spaciousness and newly remodeled decor. Everything was spotless and clean. Each bedroom had a balcony view of the golf course.

I will definitely return and hopefully next time with my kiddos!

• Liked — Secluded, but still convenient to beaches
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I am just shocked at the previous reviews. We went for a 3 day visit the first week of April and we have already made reservations to return next summer.

The staff there was amazing. We had no issues checking in. We were given a map of the resort that listed all of the pools. I just cant believe that no one on the resort could point you to the pool area! All of the staff was very polite and friendly. Told us about a lot of things to do and refered us to some great restuarants.

Our 2 bedroom unit was very clean. No issues what-so-ever. We own several timeshares and we were very happy with Orange Lake/Panama City.

The beach was 5 minutes from the resort..again...if you wanted to be on the beach...book on the beachfront! I personally like to be away from the hussle and bussle of the tourist section.

There is nothing to do? They have like 5 pools and an aracade and a great pier to walk out on. People crack me up that they want all of this entertainment. Most people go to Panama for the beach, not full blown entertainment at a condo.

Panama City is a summer town...like any beach community not all of the places are open until summer time. With 3 kids we found plenty to do the first week of April! Shell Island was amazing...water was cold, but again, it is spring time not summer. Went to the dog track and the kids had a blast!

• Liked — rooms were very clean, no problems
  • Disliked — nothing...everything was as expected
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Stratford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

This was without a doubt the most disapponting vacation I have had in years. We had to book last minute so we knew we were going to have to take what was available. We signed into the website and it said there were 1bedroom suites available for rent and 2 bedrooms as well. When I tried to book the time it said to call the number listed. When I did that they said there were only hotel rooms available so I took that even though we were taking our grandkids with us. I checked again just before we left hoping to get an upgrade and the website still said there were suites available. When I called again I got some rude woman on the phone that told me the website was wrong and it was always wrong. Yet it continued to say the rooms were available for rent but I apparently could not use my points to get them. Well then why have them. We get to the resort and find out half the rooms are empty and they are lockouts. Our room was dirty, they was half an inch of dust on all the tables, and the bathroom tub has someones hair in it. My husband went to the desk to complain and they said they would notify housekeeping but no one ever showed up. I wound up cleaning the tub myself with the towels in the room that had black curly hair imbedded in them. Over half the towels were that way. We went out and bought beach towels to use while there as our complaints did not get us anywhere. The amenities listed on the web site are not easily available to the Orange Lake portion of the resort and we never did get anyone to tell us where the indoor pool was. We kept checking with the desk about getting a suite and on our third day there someone told my husband that we could call Orange Lake direct. He did and we never got any satisfaction from them either despite being timeshare owners there for about 9 years. It's like well we have your money now so what do we care. There is nothing for kids to do on the resort and I do mean nothing. Everything is at least a 10 minute drive away and even that was not all that great as most of the unique things to do in Panama City Beach don't open until March Break, another thing the web site fails to tell you. Don't go here if you are looking for a family vacation. If all you want to do is golf and play tennis or have a boat you want to dock there if they will let you, well then have at it but this is one place that will not see me or any of the 35 other family members that we regularly take to Orange Lake with us.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Orange Lake Panama City? Share your experiences!