“Decent 1st time stay ar Hilton Gardens” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Hilton HHonors Points
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Panama City
Clearwater, Florida
“Decent 1st time stay ar Hilton Gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I stayed there on business for 1 night on Sept 6th. Usually, I try to stay at a Hilton Homewood Suites, (1.) for the Suite accommodations, (2.) Free WiFi and (3.) the Free Hot Breakfast. Since there was not HHS available in the area I decided to try Hilton Garden Inn.

I would usually fall back on a Hilton Hampton Inn because I have found most of them to be clean, affordable, free WiFi and Free Hot Breakfast is also a great selling point. But I thought I'd give HGI a try because it looked to be new and maybe a level up from Hampton Inn. I understood going into it that it did not offer a free breakfast (as someone from another review may have read the hotel features incorrectly)

My stay was fine, except I was not able to check-in early (12:30pm local time). I was driving from Tampa and was an hour ahead of Panama City time. When I arrived, she said my room was not ready but others just in front of me got their room. I was a little frustrated, especially after driving 6 hours and being a HHonors Gold member.

I went ahead to my business and came back around 5pm. When I checked in, she gave me a free upgrade to a Suite. That was nice. The suite was not like your typical Homewood or Residence Inn Suite. The living room area did not have any windows (kind of dark), instead of both the living room and bedroom having windows.

The bathroom was clean. The WiFi speed was fine and had a good strong signal. The room was clean. It has a mini fridge and microwave.

I did not eat there or use the pool. If you have kids, it may not be the best place to say as the pool is open (no privacy fence) on the right-front side of parking lot. You can see the entire pool when you walk in the hotel.

One view looks at the Hwy 231, the other at the back of a strip mall.

All and all, I give it a 4 out of 5 as a business traveler and would book there again.

• Liked — Free WiFi, min-fridge and microwae
  • Disliked — No Free Breakfast offered
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Don’t be fooled into thinking that The Hilton Garden Inn in Panama City is a good business hotel. On the surface it is OK with a good desk, chair, free “high speed” internet access, and a business center with free printing. After staying a few days, you’ll realize the truth. The internet access is anything but high speed. I used to get faster speeds 10 years ago with dial up. Despite claims that you could print to the business center printer from anywhere in the hotel, the printer wouldn’t work even from the computer hooked up directly to the printer.

The staff could not get their act together. On the second day of my three day stay, my key was deactivated, so I could not get into my room. When I went to the front desk, they said that the system had me checking out a day early. That got fixed, but then the next day, the front desk checked me out on their own, hours before I woke up. On the one day of my business trip when I could sleep in (up at 6am all other days), I was woken up by the knocks and attempts to enter from 5 different cleaning people within 5 minutes because the computer had me checked out.

On top of this, there is the attempt to take money from guests at every possible opportunity. There were several examples of this, but the most egregious was the breakfast served every day. The breakfast was set up in the same way that most hotels of the same caliber of the Hilton Garden Hotels set up their complimentary breakfasts with half stale bagels and little boxes of cereal. Well, on my last day, when I was woken up early, I figured that I would kill the extra time by grabbing some food. I stopped by the buffet to pick up a few boxes of cereal and milk. As I was eating, a waitress stopped by to tell me that the breakfast was NOT complimentary. It turns out that the 3 boxes of cereal cost me $7. I felt bad that the waitress had to give me the bad news. There were no signs that the breakfast was not free, and it was set up exactly as most hotels with complimentary breakfasts set them up. I feel that the setup was done to deliberately fool people into buying food that they would not normally buy. When I talked to the assistant manager about the issue, she insisted repeatedly that the waitress should have told me. As I said to her, there was no way that the waitress had a chance to tell me, as I grabbed food on the way to the table as most people do at these breakfasts. I even told her that I felt bad that the way the hotel setup the breakfast to deliberately fool people into buying breakfast put the waitress into the uncomfortable position of informing people about the cost. The assistant manager didn’t listen and continued to blame the waitress.

In short, when staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Panama City, be prepared to stay at a very average hotel buried amongst strip malls, and watch your wallet!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

My review is based on a 4-night stay in late June booked directly from the hotel's website. I booked a standard room for $139 per night then spent the second two nights in a Junior Suite at the same rate (reg. $179). I was in town for business.

LOCATION: The hotel is located on Hwy. 231 which is a main road in Panama City. There is a nice mall right next to the hotel, and tons of chain restaurants within a block or two. In short, everything you might need is within a few minutes' drive from the hotel (incl. Starbucks!). It is centrally located in Panama City (not Panama City Beach, which is an entirely separate municipality, but which is only 15-20 min. away).

PROPERTY: The manager informed me that the hotel was opened in November 2006. The place is new and clean and does not suffer from the usual wear and tear of older hotels. I noted the staff was cleaning the hotel early in the mornings, polishing the elevators, etc., so the property was exceptionally well maintained. There is a swimming pool and a lobby bar/restaurant.

ROOM: Both the standard room and the Junior Suite (for which I recommend spending the extra $$ -- I got it for the standard room rate due to a mix up with the reservation for which I do not hold the hotel responsible (Hilton's fault)) were spacious and clean and perfect for any business traveller.

Both rooms had really cool beds that were exceptionally comfortable. You could control the firmness/softness with a dial near the headboard. I slept great every night.

Rooms are equipped with small refrigerators, microwave ovens, and coffee makers (they give you coffee and real half-n-half, not the powdered crap). Flat screen TVs in the bedroom and living room offer a lot of channels (incl. HBO) and On-Demand movies.

The work desks are quite impressive. There are ergonomically-designed desk chairs that are quite comfy, and which I've never before seen used in a chain hotel (this is an obvious sign of a new hotel). There is also free wireless internet throughout the hotel (including in common areas/lobby) which works very well. The front desk will also give you an ethernet cable if you need one (which is also fast -- I used both). The hotel provides remote printing to a printer in the lobby with instructions on use located in the desk.

BATHROOM/HOUSEKEEPING: The tubs/shower are standard-size but the water pressure is good. Plenty of towels and toiletries were stocked on a daily basis. Housekeeping did a very good job every day. I asked a maid for extra coffee one day and she brought me 4 packs and was all smiles and actually said, -- sincerely --, "if there's anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please let me know." Nice customer service!

ROOM SERVICE: Room service is available after 5:00 p.m. I ordered a club sandwich and fries one night and it was delivered in 20 mintes by a very nice lady named Alice and everything was perfect. It was also pretty cheap (as far as room service is concerned).

STAFF: The hotel staff was terrific. Especially Jody, the Assistant General Manager, who greeted me by name every morning and helped me receive and ship FedEx. She also personally moved my luggage (and the diet coke I forgot in my 'fridge) from the standard room to the junior suite while I was out working and sent me an email telling me she had done so and gave me my new room number! Whoa! Again, nice customer service. The other front desk staff were tremendously friendly. Lots of "hi, how are you's" and "enjoying your stay?".

In sum, no complaints, only compliments. I will stay here again the next time I'm in town.

• Liked — Business accommodations.
  • Disliked — Nothing - I liked everything.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Warner Robins, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

My family and I went to Panama City for the Memorial Weekend and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It was very nice and quiet. The hotel and room itself were very clean and the desk clerk was also helpful and very kind. Baked cookies in the afternoon, the pool was very clean, fitness center location is right next to the pool instead of a location on 2nd floor. Internet services is located in each room(of course bring laptop or pay a fee). Ice machine and soda machine are conveniently located on each floor instead of one location. Panama City mall is located around the corner of the hotel. Will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sebastian, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for two days on government business. The hotel is very new and is very clean. and the staff are friendly. There is a small restaurant and bar in the lobby where you can purchase an over priced breakfast ($9.99) but everything else was almost fine. It was "almost" fine because----although my room was very clean, there was a small stuffed animal from a child occupant sticking out from under one of the queen beds in my room. In addition, the swivel faucet swiveled right off when the water was turned on in the sink. Other than that, it was fine. There is the usual microwave and fridge in the room along with coffee maker. The hotel is very well located right next to the mall (oooh la la) and shopping on 23rd Street. If I was to visit again, I would of course stay here; after I drove around the area I realized that my selection was probably the best for my needs...shopping and comfort and location to my work for days.

In addition, I found some good buys--ladies listen up--at the mall as well as at a Ross and TJ Maxx down the street! There was also a Fashion Bug and Target and Walmart if that is your thing. Good restaurants also very close and chain restaurants close as well. I give this an A+

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — ??
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

We visited this hotel April 6-8 2007. We were very pleased with the hotel, the King beds are great! and also the location. Everything is right around you so you dont have to go far to resturants or for shopping. We will be staying here when we return to panama city. Also "Big City Fish" is a great resturant and also Mikes Diner for breakfast.

Stayed April 2007
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

Hotel opened November 1st, 2006 so everything is brand new.

Check-in and check-out was smooth and seamless, front desk staff were courteous and cheerful. Lobby was well-kept, clean and welcoming. The business center was decent, but could use more space and computers. There were only two and one night only one of them was working.

The rooms were clean, spacious and nice. The beds were incredibly hard though. It was almost like sleeping on a board. It didn't seem to affect my sleep, but it was by no means relaxing.

The hotel offers breakfast for a price, but it's pretty steep at $7 for pastries and juice and $10 for a full-fledged hot breakfast.

Internet was free and they even provided ethernet cables if necessary.

Overall the hotel was good, but we will be trying a different one in the area later this month because of the beds and lack of complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Panama City? Share your experiences!