“A good stay at a great price” 4 of 5 stars

American Quality Lodge Panama City
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4810 W Hwy 98, Panama City, FL 32401   |
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Panama City
Dothan
“A good stay at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I was in need for a motel for a couple weeks to do a job and I stopped in to get some info. The lady behind the desk was very helpful and offered me several types of rooms. They have standard rooms, rooms with kitchenettes, and apartments for extended stay. I decided to try a kitchenette so I could make breakfast early in the morning and keep some food in the fridge. I was also happy to see a guest laundry with brand new machines. The room was not the newest but clean and everything worked properly. I got a great rate for a weeks stay it was very close to the job site. The place was pretty quite and the housekeeping staff was really good and friendly too. They were available until 9pm incase I needed extra towels or anything. I decided to stay here the following two weeks until it was time to go back home. This was a good stay and I saved lots of cash.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Recently we went to Panama City on a house hunting excursion. Since this wasnt vacation I refused to pay $100+ a night. So we found a coupon online for $47. We are hardcore travelers and usually only use the room to sleep at night. It is a pet friendly hotel so that was a bonus. We shouldve been tipped off when the woman in the line in front of us demanded a refund because she felt unsafe. The woman told us that many of the people that stay there are full time residents. The hotel offered us a room for $37 so we stayed....DISGUSTING! The ice machines were broken, the sidewalks were filthy and the stairwells smelled like URINE! The cops were called to break up fights, people walked by the room all hours and knocked on the window, and some of the residents there were sketchy. We later heard that a man murdered a young girl there and hid the body under the bed! They had a nice pool, but we were afraid to use it due to the constant panhandling.
It is a shame though, because with some heavy duty pressure washing, some paint, and a few upgrades it really could be a nice older hotel. They need to get rid of the rif-raff and cater to travelers with a budget. However, pet friendly hotels are hard to come by, this place was cheap, and our room, was clean. So if you just need a place to stash your pet and lay your head, then its ok...but dont bring your kids or leave things of value in the room!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
valulodge, General Manager at American Quality Lodge Panama City, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
As the New Operating GM of Valu-Lodge in Panama City, Fl I deeply regert you being negatively affected for your safety to the point of causing you concern and a negative perception of our hotel. I am working hard with our TEAM everyday to ensure your experience and all our Guest have a Great Value and Clean Room during they're stay with us. As the TEAM Leader I can assure you and your family that I am here to provide lodging with VALUE and have moved my family here with the confidence to know, if I have my family here then the expectations are high that I will achieve our GOAL !!! Special Thanks
georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We were quoted $41,00 a night ONLY IF YOU BOOK THE ROOM ONLINE. When we checked in and asked for a handicapped room, we were told it would be $74.00 instead. Apparently, the $41.00 rate ONLY applies to the 2nd floor, (no elevator) ROACH INFESTED rooms on the back side.

When we were dragging our stuff upstairs, a two man (one teenager and a kid) theft team was watching our room and what we unloaded from the truck. I overheard the kid complaining that we "were watching too closely" and that "we'd better stick with the red haired lady's stuff upstairs" I felt sorry for their next target who was staying nearby.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

you know the old say you get what you pay for; well that holds true with the value lodge. First off let me say that i was trying to save money as i wasnt going to be spending much of my day at the hotel i would be staying. A friend of mine and my dog drove down to FL for OH to vacation with my family who was camping. I needed a hotel for my dog to stay in part of the day since it would be to hot for him to be out all day. When looking at places online value lodge is vary deceiving. first it tells you its Florida State University, so i thought maybe we could meet some college girls... Well it turns out that it was right by a community college that offered course that transfer to FSU or offered classes by satellite for FSU, so they were able to advertise it as FSU. We first got into our room and the tolite had not been flushed and a light was burned out. We found out from cab drivers that this hotel was notourous for drug deals and crime, and we noticed our neighbors never stayed for more than a night and there were always cops in the parking lot at night. it was so hard to get a cab to take us to front beach road, as none of the cab drivers wanted to come to our hotel. one cab driver even joked, and asked if we wanted to borrow his gun. what i wanted was a cheap hotel so my five pound dog could be out of the sun part of the day, and what i got was a trip where i was afraid to leave him there by himself, because of the shady people that stayed there. our window was plexy glass and could have been knocked out with no sound. our first day a large gentalmen approached us at our door trying to sell us condoms. it was such a joke. it was a very stressful trip and my dog caught fleas from the room. it was the slowest week ever and i was happy that i made it out alive

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

The hotel is old but clean and well run and it costs only half as much as the same quality beach hotels. We used the refrigerator and mini stove and felt comfortable and safe. We also enjoyed the pool and picnic area. We would stay again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Holland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2007

First of all, we did a 3 week roadtrip through the Deep South, so I know where I am talking about.

Stayed here because of the weekend offer of $54,95 for a double bed room and the fact that all other motels on the strip were full for the saturday night. As you might know the proud of Valulodge is decent old fashioned American quality standards. If this is American quality that this motel displays, I pity Americans (no offense ;).

The people were very friendly and I expected a nice overnight stay when I entered the cosy family-like reception area with lots of regional info and a game room, However there is no breakfast, terrible free coffee, worst beds we slept in, lights that don't work and, shower leaking etc.

Stay somewhere else if you can!

Peeks Motel looked nice!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

The picture on hotels (where I booked the room) is very misleading. The room is definitely overpriced -- the rooms shouldn't be more than $30 per night!!!

The room has that "instittutional brick" for walls. The carpet was VERY NASTY. I wouldn't walk on it without shoes on. There were some very shady looking individuals hanging around the hotel. I didn't interact with the staff much -- so I dont' have an opinion on the staff.

The room charge was $60 per night -- which this is definitely not a $60 per night hotel.

i didn't use the pool either -- too many children -- so I just went to the beach instead. The beach is a nice little hike -- about a 15 minute drive.

The AC was pretty worthless -- and I could hear everything the neighbors were doing. EVERYTHING.

Spend a few more $$$ and rent a room elsewhere. You'll thank me for it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness, location, value
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT STAY HERE!!!
  • Stayed May 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to American Quality Lodge Panama City? Share your experiences!