“Pricey!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Palm Coast
Melbourne, Florida
“Pricey!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Hammock Beach Resort in one of their larger suite rooms on the 6th floor. Rooms were relatively nice considering the age of the hotel. The room was clean and had nice amenities, however, you can tell that the hotel has been around for a while. Couches were worn down, wall paper in bathroom was starting to peel, and our toilet bowl was leaking on the floor (Had to call in the engineer to repair). If you're a real stickler for perfection...perhaps this is not the place for you.
Reason why I gave it 4 stars is b/c it did have a great pool area, great location to the beach/surf, and the hotel staff was great. Our room had a great beach side view, the lazy river was fun, water slide, pool side bar, hot tub, etc. Really no reason to leave the resort other than to catch a meal at the European Village or JTs. We did enjoy our stay as did our 6 other guests that stayed with us. One unique thing about this place is the billing. No cash is used on the resort. Everything is via your room card to include tips, dining, gift shop, drinks, etc. Room card will be linked to a debit or credit card.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had seen a number of negative reviews of Hammock Beach resort, I think some of the problems were due to previous management. I have to say the employees were all very polite and quick to help us, the condo we had was spacious and clean BUT--we paid for an oceanview room, and there was barely a slip of ocean that we could see, the rest was obscured by the many large palm trees. But they offered to work with me on the price so I thought that was fair. The pools were great, drink prices were not cheap but about what you would expect for a resort. HB is BIG, spread out, and I have to say very clean. The landscaping is very well done and well kept, and quite beautiful. The valets, bell hops, and the guys working the beach chairs were very polite and helpful, as were the people working the golf course. The course itself is beautiful, and well kept, but NOT CHEAP AT ALL, be prepared to spend but again that is a Florida resort for you. Bring plenty of balls unless you are good and can keep it on the narrow fairways, if the ball gets off the fairway it goes into thick Palmetto and brush that looks to have its share of snakes in it so you don't want to go poking around.

There should have been more teen activites offered for our kids I thought, but it was not a deal breaker as it is mostly adults there, although there were a number of young kids. Room service was not cheap, but came up exactly when they said it would and unlike many hotels who don't give you much food, we got PLENTY of food, three meals would easily feed five people and it was good. The beach has some rocks in the surf you should watch for, otherwise you can bang your shin and foot pretty good but you can usually see them and they are a natural occurrence, the rest of the beach is nice. Overall it was a good time and I can recommend Hammock Beach resort. Also you can save by buying food at the Publix grocery store which is only a mile away and has everything you would need, they have a stuffed salmon there that is extremely good, they fried chicken they make there is tender and amazingly good as well. HB is also a great place for walking or bike riding, as I said it is BIG and there is plenty of room to roam.

Room Tip: Insist on a room closer to the ocean in the Main tower
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was at this beautiful resort for business, but thought how much my family would like the pool and beach. The pool, with fountains, three story slide and lazy river, looked like great fun. School was out so it was crowded w locals who belong to the club. We were in the Lodge, which is a separate building close to one of the courses and beach. The first floor has the pro shop, and the second a restaraunt. There are 20 rooms on the third. Mine was roomy and clean w a view of the ocean. All rooms also have a balcony w bistro table. We ate in two restaunts. Service was excellent, and the food was good - although very heavy for a tropical local. The pool seemed to have a popular kids program. There was a great deal of staff, which made slow service a surprise. Most of the resort was immaculate, so it was also a surprise to find empties in the hall both mornings.

Room Tip: I really liked staying in the Lodge. It was like a boutique hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is quite impressive and everything seems high quality, but make sure the room you are being given has the capacity to host the amount of guests they say it has. The rooms they say that can hold up to eight people can't even receive seven people without making someone sleep on the floor (and they don't provide the extra mattress).

• Stayed June 2013
Dexter,GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was a guest of the resort 6/6-6/9/13 attending a convention. We booked a 3 bedroom suite. Upon arrival at 4:30 we were told our unit would be ready in 10 minutes. An hour later we finally had to REMIND the girl and were told "Oh, It is ready now" only when we took the initiative. We were expecting others to join us the next day( they were delayed by TS Andrea) and THOUGHT we had arranged everything for them to pick up keys, names, etc were given and written down and we were ASSURED that all they had to do was come to the desk and give their names...not so. Upon arrival these folks were pretty much harrassed by the desk clerk and only after producing my text of the arrangements and dropping the convention name were they allowed to check in. The suite was clean enough but be advised these units are VERY dated and in need of a refurb. I notified housekeeping that our bedroom TV was missing the remote on day 1 and never heard a response. Par for the course for this property. Just be prepared to live in early 1990's decor and amenities even though they charge like it is a grand property. Housekeeping is nonexistent once you check in UNLESS you CALL them. The pools and surrounding area is dirty. People tend to monopolize the chairs with towels and staff do not seem to care about this. I had purposely avoided the pool area on Friday to spend a nice day on the beach with the complimentary ( until they run out) chairs and umbrellas. Everything was great until the attendant rudely set the umbrella down claiming it was too windy and an umbrella had blown down and "bumped a kid". Mind you, myself and I later determined no one else, in our large group that was on the beach heard or saw anything like this. I saw one unattended umbrella blow over in light breeze and the attendant seemed annoyed that he had to move to retrieve it. I noticed when they set the umbrella up that they used a huge drill bit and hardly any depth. When asked why didn't they just set them lower all I got in response was talk about liability ...pretty lame on an unguarded beach that has rocks along the shoreline. And I might add there was hardly any steady breeze and UV index was 11. I talked to the concierge and she spoke with someone named Jose and then told me they would set me up an umbrella . When I went back down to the beach and told them this the boys and a girl named Maria snickered and rolled their eyes as if to say I was lying. I went back to the concierge and found someone to attest to what I had been told. Apparently I was caught in the power struggle between Jose and Thor Holm the Director of Spa and Recreation for the resort. I was livid that now the entire day for myself and my party were ruined in that we couldn't comfortably enjoy the beach. I ended up getting a complimentary cabana...actually like a pop up tent, curtains torn, TV broken. Thor came to personally check and was rude and extremely arrogant stating " Doesn't this $250 cabana make up for your inconvenience?" No it did not as I have a pool and poolhouse with TV and all the amenities at my house... No cabana much less this joke of one makes up for a day at the beach. The next day which was MUCH more windy we walked to the beach and noticed all the umbrellas were up BUT they were set much lower and tighter in the sand. Hmmmm? On to the dinner our group was served. The absolute worst meal we have ever been served and I've been coming to convention since the early 1980's. It was disgusting and I saw person after person push their plate away in disgust. Our group paid over 30 thousand dollars for the convention and probably another 65 thousand in hotel rooms and such. I heard person after person state we would not be coming back to this property as it stands now under present management and ownership. It is nothing at all like it was as a Ginn property. You are better off staying in a small hotel and just drive for a day at the beach. Your wallet and sanity will thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brittany B, Manager at Hammock Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to our normal high standards. We do pride ourselves on a very personal and engaging service here at Hammock Beach which does not seem to have been met.

Your experience does seem so out of character for us and I deeply apologize for the inconveniences and experiences during your stay. If you would please reach out to me directly, I would be happy to look into your experience here at Hammock Beach Resort.
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We selected this resort due to ease of access via airport & car and appeal for a stress-free family vacation.
Our original reservation was for the Cinnamon beach condos, which looked great until we finally arrived (after 30 minutes of driving around to find the condos- the front desk person said the bellman would give directions, the bellman's directions were to take one right and two lefts....). The Hammock Beach Resort only manages five of the condos in this development and our ocean view condo was a view of the ocean over a neighborhood of houses and a golf course. In addition, the walk to the beach was past four other condo buildings and I never found the pool. After speaking with a few representatives, the management finally moved us to the main building where we checked in to a nice 3 bedroom ocean view condo. The room was a bit tired (sofa, carpet & bedspreads in need of immediate replacement. Mold in the shower) but definitely worked for our trip. We had some issues with maintenance (called 3x for a clogged tub drain, maintenance came 1x but the problem was never fixed) and housekeeping (We finally asked to have the floors cleaned on day four as their daily service left a lot to be desired).
We had great experiences at all of the restaurants. There were three restaurants open for dinner and we ate at both the Italian and Oceanside restaurants multiple times. The sushi bar was too quiet and small for us to dine with babies. Both dinner restaurants were great, but were a bit pricey.The only complaint was that the pool & beach service lunch restaurants had limited menus. The lobby bar was only open the day that we checked in.
Beach chair & umbrella service was excellent and the beach boys even helped with my stroller multiple times.
The pool could be a bit crowded, but we managed to find somewhere to sit each time. The lazy river and slide provided lots of entertainment for kids.
Service at the spa was excellent, however their services and facility could be upgraded a bit.
My husband enjoyed two of the spin classes and complimented the facility and instructor. I found the exercise facility to be clean and updated.
Overall, the resort was well kept, quality of food & beverage service was good, however housekeeping, valet, and maintenance service could be improved.
We look forward to another low stress vacation here with our children.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brittany B, Manager at Hammock Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hammock Beach. We apologize you were not provided the proper maps and directions at the time you checked in.
We are in the process of upgrading many of our units throughout the property- if you would provide the unit number you stayed in we can address the concerns regarding this particular unit.
Again, we sincerely apologize for the service shortfalls you experienced during your recent stay at Hammock Beach Resort. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to look into your experience here at Hammock Beach Resort
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here at the end of May. This visit we were in the main tower. The only true disappointment of the room was the fact that our promised "ocean view" was even less than a view. You could hardly see the water at all. The second issue we had was that neither of the two DVD players worked. While this isn't really a complaint, we still would have liked to have one working, if for no other reason then to keep the kids occupied while we were trying to get everyone ready to head to the beach. Other then that, the room was large and very clean. The property was well kept and in perfect running order. Our first visit over a year ago, we stayed in the newer ocean tower and we could not have been happier. All in all, ths is a nice resort. The check-in staff could be better trained in the friendly department. The girl that helped us was boarder line rude and very curt to say the least. We will revisit though, as the resort is very manageable, even with an arm load of pretty small kids! Now, if only they would start offering a descent discount to returning guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hammock Beach. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the experience shortfalls you encountered.

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!