“Buyer Beware” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Ocean Avenue, Palm Beach Shores, FL 33404   |
Tampa, Florida
“Buyer Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I am trying to determine if rave reviewers have ever stayed in a hotel before but I wish I had read some of the negative reviews before booking. I needed a last minute room and figured 160 per night was reasonable. I overpaid. First, be forewarned that this is a very dated timeshare property, replete with legions of sales people. The pictures of other properties adorn a wall and, honestly, are from 1978. When checking in with my daughter, this guy is waiting with us...no shirt...full body tattoo's, both nipples pierced...drunk...lovely. Rooms are dated at best. That evening i had to find a drug store for a sick child...great!.. one is just over bridge less than 1/2 mile away...in Beirut. Area near hotel is blighted and dangerous at night. Day 2 - return from off site focus of trip to go to pool. Kids step in....5 minutes later...police show up...I ask waitress..."what is going on?"...and she says...I promise..." i think that guy's got a warrant.."...turns out 2 people were just comatose drunk, swimming, making out...and woman flashing breasts...and hey..guy went swimming in his underwear! My wife was beyond livid. Just be forewarned that this place attracts an element of society looking for very cheap rooms ...or a free meal! ...in exchange for sitting through a timeshare sales pitch. If that is your cup of tea...go for it. For those who expect something beyond 1 star, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: For best room...look elsewhere
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post about your visit. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and found some of the resort guest’s behavior unseemly. Unfortunately in this industry hoteliers sometime house unruly travelers, especially during Spring Break, but we try to handle those situations as best we can to ensure that everyone has a pleasant vacation. While there may be some questionable areas in Palm Beach County, Palm Beach Shores Resort is located on Singer Island, well-known for it’s beautiful beaches and up-scale homes and hotels. All of the accommodations at Palm Beach Shores Resort have furnishings less than three years old and items are replaced as needed. We hope that in the future you give us another chance and give us the opportunity to show you why so many travelers choose Palm Beach Shores for their beachside vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I must say what a nice surprise our stay was. We used our Disney points "trade in" and had a wonderful stay. We were there April 15 - 23; we added a day and when I had called to arrange for the extra day we were given a "discounted" rate. I had asked for an "Ocean View" room and made it clear that the first night could be anywhere and we'd be happy to move for the remainder of our stay for a better view. And how well that worked out!!! Check in on Friday was seamless and I had asked if we'd be switching rooms the following day and was told that as soon as the room was available they'd call me. At about 12:00 on Saturday we moved into room 407 to a beautiful view, kingsize bed (the 1st night had 2 doubles and a pool view), and very CLEAN. Our slider would not shut all the way so I stopped by the front desk and informed them. Upon our return, the door was shut and I saw my husband had left some money on the table which was left untouched - WOW, what a surprise!

Prior to our arrival, I had asked the reservationist for a "car service" and was given the name of Otis Jones (OJ). He was so wonderful, and has a great "package" deal $150 roundtrip from/to the airport plus 2 other roundtrips (Downtown, golf, ...) - you can't beat it!

I wasn't too sure on how close restaurants were, but Johnny Longboats is across from the parking lot and it looked like Two Drunk Goats would be opening very soon also Max and Eddie's was very good. The Sailfish Marina was in walking distance (3 or 4 small blocks up and about 4 blocks down) and we enjoyed the lovely walkway in the center of the island through Palm Beach Shores. The food there was very nice and on Thursday's, locals bring their "crafts" and set up shop along the dock. It was very crowded but very enjoyable. Dinner wait was about 1 hour wait that night but went by very fast. We took the boat tour from Sailfish one afternoon and really enjoyed that. Also, we ate at BB Kings and Don Ramon in the Downtown/Clematis Street area. Both were very good, but loved Don Ramon and the "double" mojito.

Obviously, only 5 minutes of rain helped to make a very enjoyable vacation. As for beach chairs, I can not see paying $10/hour or $30 a day (someone told me they paid a "discounted rate" of $150 for the week) so there is this wonderful place Wings located in the shops across from the resort that sells beach chair and souvenirs. We went there our first evening and bought 2 small reclining beach chairs ($16.99 each) and 2 "bamboo" roll ups ($5.99 each). The only odd occurrence was our first day at the beach, there was a Tiki Bar server who brought "samples" of the day's drink and only offered it to those on the "rented" lounge chairs, which I thought was quite odd - I love my cocktails! So later that day, my husband and I finally got her attention and ordered 2. Not much rum in them so we started making our own. We went over to Grator Gator (market) and picked up some breakfast foods and beverages. They are next to a liquor store so I was able to make my own drinks with plenty of rum! There is also a Seven Eleven that sells beer. The kitchen-ette is nicely equipment, I made breakfast most days.

The pool was on the small side and not a chair left open. We are beach people and do not see the point of staying on the beach and sitting at the pool. I did hear people complain about not being able to find a chair by the pool, so again, the beach is the best way to go and the water was perfect!

Everything you've read about the "Time-Share" people is so true and unbelievable! The first half of our stay we were left phone messages and flyers under our door to "stop by and pick up our 'welcome pack'" or enjoy our "complimentary" breakfast. Just ignore it all and laugh it off.

To sum it all up, my husband is very had to please and was extremely happy with everything and our 17 year old also enjoyed the trip.

Monroe, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel through an RCI exchange program. Our room was large with a very large bathroom and master bedroom. It was spotlessly clean. The decor was older but in good condition. We had a balcony overlooking the new Riviera Beach park and partial view of the ocean. There is a new shopping/restaurant complex right across the street from the resort. The beach was beautiful and clean, just steps from the resort. The pool was on the smaller side for the amount of people, but looked to be in good condition. Lots of people at poolside and at tiki bar. Nice atmosphere, but a bit crowded. Restaurant was good for a moderate dinner and breakfast was a good value. Lots of activity in the lobby, with timeshare reps and families waiting for their presentation. If I were management I would change that arrangement and have a separate area away from reception and lobby. Just not a relaxing atmosphere when you are a guest.
'valet parking attendants were quick and helpful when loading and unloading the car. Overall, I would recommend this resort for families with young/teenage children. Parasailing and other watersports available right on beach.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for posting about your experience at Palm Beach Shores Resort. We appreciate the feedback because it helps us improve services most desired by our guests. Palm Beach Shores Resort is a great option for families visiting Florida and we hope you allow us another opportunity to host your vacation again.
Mastic, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had such a great time! The resort is beautiful, the pool is awesome and the beach is incredible. The staff was always courteous and helpful, providing directions or assistance whenever needed. The kiddie camp staff were so nice to my two children.. my daughter actually said her favorite part of our trip was her few hours at the camp!! Our room overlooked the pool and the ocean, was decorated beautifully and was perfect with its amenities that allowed us to cook some of our meals. The Island Grill had great food and not over priced. We loved that the area had shops within walking distance but also great things to do within driving distance such as Rapids water park, the loggerhead turtle rescue and so much more! What a great vacation we had..can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your glowing review on Palm Beach Shores Resort. We are glad that we were able to provide fun activities for your children and that your family enjoyed their vacation with us. Your post has been forwarded to the Management at Palm Beach Shores Resort so that your comments may be shared with the staff. Thanks again for taking the time to share.
Nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I stayed at this resort in May 2009, and it was amazing! I traveled with my husband, and two kids.(11 and 13) It had a great location right on the beach, but my husband and I had a difficult time actually finding the resort. It was very relaxing and wonderful! The rooms were clean, but could be a little more up to date. The tiki bar and poolside music was spectacular! Everyone was very helpful! My children loved it and we are coming back in June 2011!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about Palm Beach Shores Resort. We’re happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you again this summer.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

This was our 10th year at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas. While we still really like the hotel and will probably return again, the room we had this year was a little disappointing. Granted, this was not one of the rooms that has been updated over the years, but that wasn't really the issue - I actually prefer the old bathroom design over the new one. However, the bed was too soft and rather uncomfortable. The coffee pot was broken (but replaced immediately); some lights were burned out - we didn't report that. Overall, things just seem a bit neglected.

Because our stay was much shorter this year (we usually stay for a week) we opted for an "island view" instead of pool/ocean view. There was no view - we overlooked the municipal volleyball courts at ground level. Given the fact that we have been loyal customers for 10 years, I would think a better location could have been assigned as the hotel clearly wasn't full.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Worldhotels.com

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We have been going to this resort since 2003. Every year we look forward to coming and enjoying the warm weather and ocean since our winters are usually very long and cold. We have invited various family members to stay with us through the years and because of this we will have great memories that will be forever with us. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Many remember us from year to year. Great housekeeping staff, they are very efficient at what they do. We are looking forward to going back next year and seeing who will asking to come along with us. Thanks so much for all that you do in making great vacations possible.

Room Tip: The pool/ocean side is of course the best rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!