“Opulence” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
New York, NY
“Opulence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

My wife and I got married in June and hadn't gone on a proper honeymoon due to our busy work schedules. We had a long weekend in July and decided to meet up in Palm Beach after my wife's business trip for a mini-moon. We pulled up to the Breakers after midnight and were greated by a bell hop named Ed. Ed took us to our room and then showed us around the property. The property speaks Gilded Age and is nothing less than opulent. Everyone was very nice and not pretentious at all. We couldn't have picked a better place. They know service and how to do things right. A chilled bottle of Champagne was waiting in the room for us as a wedding gift from the Hotel. Prices are high but what do you expect at a 5 star resort. The food was great and Sunday brunch in the Circle was outstanding. We're thinking about going back in January for my birthday to get away from the cold NY winter. If you are questioning staying here, don't, just book it and enjoy.

• Liked — The Service and Architecture
  • Disliked — nothing.
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

My wife and I stayed at The Breakers from 06-09July for a weekend getaway. It was everything we expected and more. The hotel lobby, gardens, restaurants, and shops are fantastic. Everything is upscale, gardens are manicured and the Sunday brunch, although expensive, is really a must if you stay at The Breakers. The pools were great and the cabanas and bungalos looked really nice. We did nt rent one but the people who did seemed to enjoy them. The beach was good also. They have umbrellas and chairs at no extra charge. It's not really a white sand beach, and but it's good to just relax and the water was great, although the waves were a bit rough that particular weekend. There is a nice Spa and with a Gym overlooking the pool and ocean, which you can use for an extra fee, but we used the free gym on the hotel's first floor which is free of charge for hotel guests and had fine equipment as well. We did not go to the Spa, maybe next time. We had a basic room with partial ocean view. The room was nicely decorated and the bed, linen and pillows made yu want to not get out of bed! They were that nice. The only negative comment would be that there was no access to a small balcony our room had (we stayed in room 5164), so could only appreciate the view through the window. The bathroom was small but elegant, although the bath tub too small to fit 2 people ot even one comfortably, but the shower had good water pressure and different settings and the bath accesories provided were good quality. Nearby there are very high end shops at Worth Avenue, but unless you are rich (we are not) you might enjoy driving 5 minutes to City Place, which is full of standard shops, restaurants, and a large movie theater. We highly recommend The Breakes and would love to go back again some day.

• Liked — Hotel architecture and gardens
  • Disliked — bathtub
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

my husband and i celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary in July '07. our initial plan was to visit Orlando or Miami being that we'd never been to FL before. However, we wanted to do something different from the regular disney vacation or hanging out on the beach so we chose Palm Beach. I must say that after booking the trip and telling people where we were going, we then became very discouraged for picking what was considered " a location for snotty rich folk". I even tried changing the package we had but Orbitz would not allow it so we had to to go on the trip.

Boy were we glad we did. Everyone at The Breakers was far from "high faluten". From staff to guests alike, all were soooo friendly, it was unbelievable. I must say though that it became quite a pricy trip but thank God it was only for five days. However the resort has so many activities (some free and others tagged with a price) to engage in. There was the 2 hour bike tour with Eda and Summer, the many swimming pools, the beach front, snorkeling, the arcade (for the young and young-at-heart and we also did some major shopping @ the Polo Ralph Lauren and Burberry stores and the staff at the City Place Mall (12mins away) knew us as regulars.

• Liked — high quality service and varied activities to engage in
  • Disliked — quite pricy
Phoenxiville, AP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband won a stay at The Breakers during his annual sales conference. As a dyed-in-the-wool practitioner of frugality, I was not looking forward to taking this trip. It all seemed so excessive to me. In fact, I tried bartering the trip so as to avoid going. In the end, it's lucky that this didn't work out.

The Breakers is an extremely elegant resort and definitely not the sort of place I would be willing to hand over my money to. After all, $400 a night for a room you just sleep in seems absurd. However, even though we didn't pay for this trip, I will now think twice before forming a hard and fast opinion again. We had a wonderful time, a truly restful, relaxing experience.

The room was lovely, with comfortable beds, the softest sheets ever, and a very homey bathroom. We even had a partial ocean view, which was thrilling. Service was impeccable; I don't think there was a time we walked the halls that we didn't see staff hard at work.

What really made it for us was the staff; everyone was NICE, really nice, not just deferentially nice in the way that service staff can sometimes be when dealing with moneyed guests, and extremely helpful. They were happy to converse with you, not merely jump to attention. That made a big difference.

At The Breakers, we were able to walk on the beach, enjoying strolls both at dawn and in the moonlight. In inclement weather, there was plenty to explore in the hotel itself, which is beautifully appointed -- definitely pay attention to the detailed ceilings. The various restaurants both on and off the property were amazing. Delicious food, beautifully presented and service was definitely with a smile.

I even took advantage of a couple of spa services, a rather new experience to cheapskate me, and was delighted with the serenity of the spa and the care and attention of the staff. Their ability to put me at my ease while I was wrapped in a bathrobe was extraordinary.

We enjoyed our stay at The Breakers and used the opportunity as a second honeymoon. We're definitely considering going back there for our third honeymoon in a few years -- or maybe sooner!

Stayed June 2007
Bonaire, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

Wow, having a chance to stay at this historic and elegant property for a business trip was special and very enjoyable. I get to travel to some pretty nice places on business like the Broadmoor, Ritz Napels, Ritz Amelia Island, Fairmont Orchid, etc. so I want to be fair in my comparisons.

The breakdown

This hotel has an austerity about it that can be visible on the palm beach skyline even before you cross the bridge to the hotel. It is beautiful, there is not doubt about it. You feel very important pulling up to this place. The staff is friendly for the most part and very accomodating although they sometimes were unorganized. On several occasions I asked the front desk for information about the convention I was attending and they did not have the information. The property did not seem to be crowded at all, in fact it was very peaceful and relaxing. The pools including a relaxation pool are pretty serene. The spa and fitness center are nice to have although I was charged $30 to use the fitness center and steam room/sauna. Food and drinks are the most outrageous here of any place I have been on earth. I paid $8.25 for a beer at one of the convention functions. Hamburgers are $18 plus tax and service charge. Cokes, etc. are $4 or $5. I would advise you to hit the grocery store on the way in. The room was disappointing, although the bedding was very nice and comfortable, it was small with no balcony. Just a side ocean view. We also had some small ants on our nightstand that I mentioned to the maid, I'm not sure they ever handled the problem. The beach is very small, which was not a major issue considering few people were here, but I could see it getting overcrowded at a busy time. Check the place out, tour around, see the gardens, I hear they were nice but I didn't see much of it.

We got a deal at this place paying an offseason rate of something like $169 night for the conference. I have to say that for that price, this place was pretty awesome. But for $500 and up, or whatever the normal going rate is, I would stay elsewhere. This place is defintiely geared for the rich and wealthy. I would say The Broadmoor as far as service, amenties, spa, and things to do is far superior to this place.

Some other tips:

If you have never been to Palm Beach, I would say this is the Beverly Hills of the south. Check out the Blue Martini bar in downtown Palm Beach, a good nightspot with live bands, etc. Rent a Lexus or Mercedes or something, you will be the only person without one! The golf course at the hotel is pretty nice, but very short, only 6,100 from the tips. There is a good jogging/bike path along the intercoastal. Don't run on the beach, the sand is too soft and slopes to the water. Have a good time, don't go broke drinking $8 beers!

• Liked — Beautiful Surroundings
  • Disliked — Food and Beverage is a ripoff
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

We stayed at The Breakers for four nights as part of an industry meeting. Wow. The service, atmosphere, dining, spa and resort were amazing.
Although the rooms are rather small for the money, the quality of the bed, bedding, etc. were top notch. The staff is extremely attentive and responsive. The hotel has two fitness rooms, one for hotel guests and one for those who use the spa. (Hotel guests can use the "spa fitness center" for $40 extra/day.) The hotel fitness room was adequate but the one in the spa was terrific. I had a "seastone" massage in the spa which really should be illegal - it was that good. (Ask for Melinda.) The pools and beach were terrific. We spent most our time at the relaxation pool which lived up to its name.
We had dinner one night in the "Circle Room." I think it's only used for banquets or weddings, but if you have the chance, you must see it. I can't begin to explain how beautiful it is. Timeless, elegant...
Even though we were "off season," I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — The elegance of the hotel
  • Disliked — The room size for the price
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Breakers for 4 days, 3 nights. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very pleasant. However, I was surprised at the size of the rooms (smaller than expected) and we had a view of the parking lot (it was a nice parking lot, but I would have preferred to be looking at something a little nicer when I'm making a long trip.) I was very surprised at the prices here. We have stayed at comparable hotels and I am always shocked about the prices that are charged. My husband and I shared a lunch (appetizer and hamburger) and a couple of sodas for $52. Of course, the tip was included with everything. The pools were nice, the beach was much smaller than I expected, the staff was attentive (as they should at these prices). I would recommend this hotel, but be advised the rooms are the size of a average hotel room. I would also suggest bringing your own beverages (water, soda, etc) and snacks to avoid the high prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!