“Pretty Hotel when you visit Palm Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
The New Ocean Fitness
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
west palm beach
“Pretty Hotel when you visit Palm Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

The Breakers hotel, Is geared for the older clientelle. A bit stuffy . The room was very small. The spa is unbelievable. I had a facial that was one of the best I 've ever had. The gym is very nice. I enjoyed the new equipment. The staff was pleasent. Given the choices in the palm beach area , Breakers is probably the best. The rooms were expensive. It was close to the nice resturants . The valet people too a long time in getting the car. The pillows where down, so the bed was comfortable.

• Liked — spa and gym
  • Disliked — small room and cost
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Turkish first
the bahamas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2007

Our extended family spent a January 2007 weekend at The Breakers for a 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Breakers is a magical experience in all aspects. The staff, from the moment the valet opens your car door, to the last moment on the property is sheer perfection. The rooms are an oasis of calm, the lobbies restaurants and grounds impeccable, and the new pool areas are delightful. If you can swing this even just once in your lifetime, you should go for it. A special thanks to the security department in trying to locate a small stuffed bunny that went MIA while we were there. They followed up every day for weeks via email on the case. A splendid experience.

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2007

My wife and I came down to Palm Beach for her mother's funeral. We decided to stay here at the Breakers because we have heard very good things about it through our friends and co-workers. We got a very nice room on the fourth floor with a view of the driveway. Our stay, while very costly, was HEAVEN! (The same goes for the staff, food, and pools as well.) Even though I was there for my mother-in-law's death, which was a very sad occasion, I could not help having the time of my life here at the Breakers.

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!! (scratch the money, of course...)
  • Disliked — The cost, but this stands alone
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

I stayed at the Breakers for 4 nights in July, since my husband was so kind to give me a solo spa getaway. From the moment I walked into the lobby to the moment I checked out, everything was perfection. I had to go back down to the lobby after I checked in and was shocked that one of the bellman actually knew my name. What a way to start!

The beach was wonderful - there are assistants that anticipate every need and whim. They were all delightful. I thought the food by the beach pool was really good - great wrap sandwiches. I would hunker down at the end of the beach under an umbrella and staff regularly came by to offer me a drink, a fresh towel or just to check in.

I really went to enjoy the spa and was not disappointed. I had 2 treatments a day scheduled and added a few because they were all so superb. Having been to many different destination spas, I have to say that the Breakers ranks right up there with quality of products, experienced estheticians and masseuses and superb treatments.

In a word, professionalism is what I experienced. Yes, the rooms are outrageously priced, but you really do get what you pay for. I was completely impressed and can't wait to go back. For anyone who is hesitant to travel alone as a woman, this place will erase that fear. They really take care of you here.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
Detroit, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

I belong to an organization that meets every six months in Palm Beach. Over the last 7 years, I have had the chance to stay at many properties in Palm Beach. I have stayed at the Ritz and the Four Seasons, but until December, I had not stayed at the Breakers.

Before my arrival, I was really looking forward to the trip, having heard nothing but good things about the Breakers over the years.

Sadly, while its lobby is beautiful, there is really very little else to recommend the place. My room was ugly and looked like it had been decorated in the 70s. My kids were with me and we used the pullout sofa. It was atrocious, like the cheapest pullout I'd ever slept on as a student. It was an hour long chore every night to get them to turn that bed down.

The hotel restaurants are OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced (even by Ritz and Four Seasons standards). $6 for a 10 oz diet coke, for example, $20 for the cheapest cocktail. The food is good, but that's it, good, not great by any stretch of the imagination.

We had a number of problems (broken thermostat, items thrown away by the housekeepers, etc. etc.). I spoke with management and got lots of words of apology, but very little action. I then spoke with our meeting planner who was also unable to help us. Interestingly, she said that in her 20 years in the business, she had never had that much trouble helping a client with a hotel issue, much less in as expensive a property as the Breakers.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this: the place rests on its laurels because of its famous name. It would be a rip off at 20% the price.

• Liked — Beauty of Lobby, Pools
  • Disliked — Room was terrible, Worst Value I've ever experienced
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

Beautiful hotel which lived up to my high expectations, however it is possible to hear everything in the rooms next door! We were fortunate to receive an upgrade to a larger room for which I was grateful, however the view was of the garbage! Other than that we found staff to be accomodating, room very ample size, bathroom had 2 sinks and separate shower, tub. Altho it is expensive we found ways to "eat around" the prices. Great gift shop which sells sandwiches, coffee, etc.
We were there on a sold out weekend and still didn't find pools to be crowded.

Stayed January 2007
Edinburgh, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

We stayed at the Breakers for 7 nights in June (the off-season for Palm Beach) and although we had already paid for the accomodation our bill at the end was over $800!

One night we fell asleep after coming back from the pool and slept all through the evening (jet lag catching up) so the next morning we were celebrating saving at least $150 on evening meal and drinks.

Joking aside, this is a lovely hotel. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We stuck to the pool area as we found we got insect bites when on the beach.

It is a very expensive hotel, and you need a car if you are going to go somewhere else to dine. However, it is an experience I am glad I had and I doubt I will stay in such a sumptuous hotel for a long time.

• Liked — Location/setting
  • Disliked — Expensive Restaurants
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!