The Breakers is the definition of a luxury beach resort. From the moment you pull up to the entryway, you know this is a special place. The hotel architecture is classic, but nothing about the facilities is outdated or old--they are immaculately maintained, from the lobby and restaurants to the well manicured lawns outside. The service is impeccable, efficient and attentive, but very friendly. Every staff member I passed in the hallways and on the grounds greeted me with a genuine smile. They really want you to have a good time here and they take pride that this is truly a five star hotel. This is the hotel Ritz Carlton wants to be but can't quite measure up.
My room wasn't large but it was comfortable and well appointed. I had a king size bed and lounge chair and a desk built into the wall. The bathroom was spacious. There was only one sink but it did have an adjacent make-up counter with a stool. Great shower with high water pressure. The bed was very comfortable, just the right combination of a firm mattress with soft padding and linens. Room safe and iron/ironing board, but no coffee maker. You can use the fitness center at the spa for a nominal charge and they also have a separate workout room in the hotel that is free--it's better than most workout rooms I've seen in major hotels.
Outside, this hotel has everything. There are 4 or 5 pools, including a lap pool, adult pool, kids pool, and relaxation pool where you're not supposed to be noisy. Lots of hottubs spread around. There are a couple of beach restaurants around the pools. The beach area is not large, but there is beach service with lounge chairs and a lifeguard on duty and I saw some families playing on the sand. Some of the pools have cabanas you can rent out. In a different part of the hotel there is a family center where you can drop off your kids for the day--they have an outdoor playground, indoor playground, small movie theater, xbox stations, and even a game arcade. There is an Italian family restaurant adjacent to the family center and they will watch your kids while you eat.
Of course all this comes at a price. If you are squeamish about high food and beverage bills or paying for extras this hotel is not for you. Parking is $20/night (taxi is flat $25 to or from the airport, 15 minutes, and you may not need a rental car). Food in particular is expensive--think $19 cheeseburgers and $12 hot dogs. The hot breakfast buffet was $27, but it was delicious and the dining room was beautiful. But I didn't feel nickle and dimed. They add 20% gratuity to every food bill but they always tell you when they present the bill, not like other places who hope you won't notice and will add more tip. Wired and wifi internet is free.
Unavoidably, in Palm Beach and in this hotel, the smell of money is everywhere. That influences the kind of people who come to this area including this hotel and you have to be comfortable with that. But the staff does a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate to return in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the island of Palm Beach amid 140 acres of picturesque oceanfront property, The Breakers is recognized as one of North America’s iconic resort destinations. Independently owned, this legendary resort has been completely revitalized to offer a paradise for couples, families, and special gatherings. Revel in a new tropical feeling at the glorious beachfront, play the greens, and enjoy the blissful spa, delicious dining, and incredible services energized by a genuinely caring staff, integral in helping you make fabulous memories. * Nine distinctive restaurants and five bars* A private beachfront oasis with five sparkling pools, bungalows and watersports* An oceanfront spa, offering moonlit massages amid Atlantic breezes* 36 holes of championship golf including the on-site Ocean Course and Rees Jones® Course; a golf academy* 10 lighted Har Tru tennis courts and instruction by USPTA/USPTR-certified professionals* 10 on-site boutiques including Lilly Pulitzer, Guerlain and Ralph Lauren* A family entertainment center and kids’ camp; 11 boutiques.* The Flagler Club, private club level with a private concierge and residential ambiance, Interactive Family Entertainment Center and Kid’s Camp. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Breakers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Palm Beach
- The Breakers Resort
- Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Resort Palm Beach
- The Breakers Palm Beach, Florida