“Fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
New York, NY, USA
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

The Breakers is the definition of a luxury beach resort. From the moment you pull up to the entryway, you know this is a special place. The hotel architecture is classic, but nothing about the facilities is outdated or old--they are immaculately maintained, from the lobby and restaurants to the well manicured lawns outside. The service is impeccable, efficient and attentive, but very friendly. Every staff member I passed in the hallways and on the grounds greeted me with a genuine smile. They really want you to have a good time here and they take pride that this is truly a five star hotel. This is the hotel Ritz Carlton wants to be but can't quite measure up.

My room wasn't large but it was comfortable and well appointed. I had a king size bed and lounge chair and a desk built into the wall. The bathroom was spacious. There was only one sink but it did have an adjacent make-up counter with a stool. Great shower with high water pressure. The bed was very comfortable, just the right combination of a firm mattress with soft padding and linens. Room safe and iron/ironing board, but no coffee maker. You can use the fitness center at the spa for a nominal charge and they also have a separate workout room in the hotel that is free--it's better than most workout rooms I've seen in major hotels.

Outside, this hotel has everything. There are 4 or 5 pools, including a lap pool, adult pool, kids pool, and relaxation pool where you're not supposed to be noisy. Lots of hottubs spread around. There are a couple of beach restaurants around the pools. The beach area is not large, but there is beach service with lounge chairs and a lifeguard on duty and I saw some families playing on the sand. Some of the pools have cabanas you can rent out. In a different part of the hotel there is a family center where you can drop off your kids for the day--they have an outdoor playground, indoor playground, small movie theater, xbox stations, and even a game arcade. There is an Italian family restaurant adjacent to the family center and they will watch your kids while you eat.

Of course all this comes at a price. If you are squeamish about high food and beverage bills or paying for extras this hotel is not for you. Parking is $20/night (taxi is flat $25 to or from the airport, 15 minutes, and you may not need a rental car). Food in particular is expensive--think $19 cheeseburgers and $12 hot dogs. The hot breakfast buffet was $27, but it was delicious and the dining room was beautiful. But I didn't feel nickle and dimed. They add 20% gratuity to every food bill but they always tell you when they present the bill, not like other places who hope you won't notice and will add more tip. Wired and wifi internet is free.

Unavoidably, in Palm Beach and in this hotel, the smell of money is everywhere. That influences the kind of people who come to this area including this hotel and you have to be comfortable with that. But the staff does a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Turkish first
Breakers, West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

The Breakers was a mind-blow. Truly a luxurious time. If you can do it, book your room on the 6th floor -- endless buffet, endless relaxation, endless booze. Worth all the weight in gold for a place to come up to after a splendid day in the exquistite lap pool, ocean side body surfing, or golf. (My teenage son was in love with the golf and girl ratio.) Should it be raining, the 6th floor let you read and relax, with big newspapers to read at leisure. The beds were great, the towel a plenty. The Haitian staff impeccably accommodating. O the 6th floor, to have you again!! Bernard, the concierge, will take care of you and make sure your lost keys get made and your two complimentary shirts get ironed. I had a massive toothache and (Eastern European woman) was so sweet and gave me Eastern European secret to ease the pain. Weather we damned, the Breakers is the getaway of a lifetime!!!! I was in a wedding party, and we were all pleased as punch to be a part of this historical place. The gold room is a lavish place to tie the knot. Go, go, go! You'll be glad you did.

I'm in love with the lap pool, too. I'm a big lap swimmer, hotels all over the world, and this rates very high, next to one in Makati in Philippines.

Only downside is the parking. It should be free... My friend dropped me off and wanted to come up to say hi for few minutes. Twenty bucks -- not nice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Franklin TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

See a detailed review on my blog @ www.jackgalloway.com

My wife and I have six kids under age 10...this was our first vacation without them, and a celebration of our 14th wedding anniversary. THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT TRIP. The Breakers staff is so awesome that it took me a day just to get used to that level of service. From the valet to the front desk to the wait staff to the pool attendants, every single person played their part to make this vacation special. The entire hotel is so beautiful. The flowers, the lobby, the rooms, the views, and more flowers! This is no ordinary hotel. If this is a really special trip, look no further than the Breakers.

***Also, when comparing prices, don't overlook the $200 per day rewards. When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded like airline miles or something. It's not. It's real money that you can spend. We did every single thing we had time to do at the Breakers (massages, meals, room service) and I barely paid anything over my room rate.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
bury,lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The best hotel I have ever stayed in.The food was amazing lots of choice.The weather was very hot,The pool restaurant was lovely. The staff couldn't do enought for you.,Hope to go there in 5 years time with my husband and child.What a fabulous hotel.................go.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

We went down to Florida for a conferance and didn't want to stay at the hotel where all was going to have some privacy. The hotel rooms are elegant and beautiful. The restaurants are top of the line and the pool area pristine. The services is five plus in the rating. It's extremely expensive but worth it if you can afford it. I wouldn't be underdressed for this hotel though. Ladies around the pool even wear there diamonds and it's not a casual hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband and I went to The Breakers for 3 nights in March 2010.

The positives
- Location: The resort is about 5 miles from the West Palm Beach airport so it is an easy and inexpensive cab ride. Also, the hotel is within walking distance to Worth Avenue which is a plus since you do not have to rent a car to explore the area. Cabs are easily accessible and relatively inexpensive.
-Room: We stayed in a renovated partial ocean view deluxe king room and it was beautiful... My only complaint is that the room was small and there is no bathtub but it was fine for two people. The bed, sheets and blankets are all very comfortable.
-There are a number of pools to choose from and there were plenty of available seats. I prefer sitting in the shade and we never had a problem getting an umbrella.
-The actual beach area is small and bordered by two rock/sea walls. One is treacherous looking and you cannot get past it. You are able to walk through the other one but depending on the tide, the waves might be crashing into you. Once you get through the rocky area, you can walk on the beach for miles.

The negatives
-When you are spending $500 per night, there are certain "extras" to expect from a 5 star hotel. The first is chocolates during turn-down service. They gave us 2 mini bottles of water and a seashell. Come on... a shell?! I wanted chocolate! Also, the Four Seasons Punta Mita, Ritz Carlton Cayman and Ritz Carlton Cancun all give their guests "treats" while you are lounging at the pool/beach. These include iced washcloths infused with cucumber or mint scents, mini ice cream cups, fruit skewers, mini smoothies. The Breakers did not offer any of these extras. No fruity drinks during check-in, no basket of apples in the lobby, no bottles of water to take with you for a walk, nothing.
-The lobby of the hotel smells like kitchen dishwashing detergent at certain times of the day
-For the most part, the food is mediocre at best and very very expensive. We live in NYC so perhaps we are slightly biased and have high expectations. For example, there was nothing special about the breakfast buffet... it was similar to a Westin buffet with your typical eggs, waffles, bagels, cereals, etc. The Seafood Bar was nothing special either. My husband had the tuna with a store bought bbq sauce on it. I had soup and salad. The steakhouse was actually very good and we both enjoyed our meal.

Other
-We went to Testa's (around the corner from the hotel) and Taboo (on Worth Ave) for lunch and really enjoyed both spots. We also ate at Cafe Boulud. It was good but not the best meal we have ever had.

Overall, I would recommend staying at The Breakers. It is a beautiful hotel in the perfect location. Just be aware that there are no "extras", the food is average and the prices are extremely high. Next time we go to Palm Beach, we might stay at the Four Seasons and compare.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I should preface this review by saying that I only stay at 4 and 5 star hotels, so my expectations are usually high for hotels. The Breakers completely met my expectations and exceeded my expectations! We had a room with two double beds and a partial view. The rooms could use a little updating and I wish the room had a balcony but the beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are spacious. The hotel's decor is a feast for the eyes! The service is the BEST I've ever experienced. The front desk was able to check us in early (at noon) and gave us a complimentary late check out so we could chill by the pools longer.

Every time you turn a corner someone asks, "how can I be of service?". The staff is so accommodating and non-pretentious. The food was incredible, although be prepared to spend at least $100 for every meal. The Ocean Grill is ideal for lunch. The Flagler Steakhouse had some of the best filet mignon I've ever tasted. L'Escalier was where we had a special dinner with family and ranks as one of the best meals I've ever had. They had impeccable service and an amazing wine list. I recommend doing the petite tasting menu.

The spa is also a must. My massage therapist was very gentle and kind. The atmosphere is very relaxing and a good way to spend a morning.

I would definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!