My partner and I spent a long weekend at the Breakers at the end of August -- and wished we could have stayed longer.
Pros: Almost too numerous to mention -- the first, superlative fact about this hotel is its outstanding service. All personnel were thoughtful, intelligent, anticipated our needs, and were friendly without being forward.
The grounds and public spaces are outstanding -- the lobby and main public areas of the hotel are done in a faux Italian renaissance style dating from the 1920s with real 15th c. Flemish tapestries. The grounds are immaculate, and beautifully tended.
The pool and beach areas are also outstanding, with separate pools for various constituencies (lap pool, "active" pool, family pool, relaxation pool), and plenty of space on the small beach with attentive (but never intrusive) staff.
Our room (superior with partial ocean view) was relatively small, but very nicely appointed, comfortable, quiet, and decorated at a reasonable taste level.
All in all, an outstanding hotel in every respect. We usually don't return to hotels or resorts because we like to explore new environments, but anticipate we'll be making an exception for the Breakers.
Cons: There really are no negatives I could point to. Much has been written in prior reviews of the Breakers regarding the price, and as to these criticisms, I would offer two observations. First, the Breakers is a world-class resort, and that is inevitably going to come at a price. Potential guests who would prefer more "value" should probably move on, because prices at a place like this are going to be steep. But that brings me to the second observation, which is that staying at the Breakers off-season was actually quite a good value. We stayed in a superior room with a partial ocean view, made abundant use of room service, had many a cocktail, and took all of our meals except for one dinner at the hotel. The final bill for room, drinks, food, and all other amenities came to approximately $400 per day for the two of us. We would have happily paid more.
One final word about tipping - a 20% gratuity is added to all food and drink bills at the hotel. Prior to our stay, I was highly skeptical about this practice, and the level of service we would receive if a tip was already guaranteed. My worries were unfounded -- the staff was consistently gracious and professional, and more than earned the gratuity in each encounter we had with them.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- The Breakers Hotel
- Breakers Palm Beach
- The Breakers Resort
- Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Resort Palm Beach
- The Breakers Palm Beach, Florida
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the island of Palm Beach amid 140 acres of picturesque oceanfront property, The Breakers is recognized as one of North America’s iconic resort destinations. Independently owned, this legendary resort has been completely revitalized to offer a paradise for couples, families, and special gatherings. Revel in a new tropical feeling at the glorious beachfront, play the greens, and enjoy the blissful spa, delicious dining, and incredible services energized by a genuinely caring staff, integral in helping you make fabulous memories. * Nine distinctive restaurants and five bars* A private beachfront oasis with five sparkling pools, bungalows and watersports* An oceanfront spa, offering moonlit massages amid Atlantic breezes* 36 holes of championship golf including the on-site Ocean Course and Rees Jones® Course; a golf academy* 10 lighted Har Tru tennis courts and instruction by USPTA/USPTR-certified professionals* 10 on-site boutiques including Lilly Pulitzer, Guerlain and Ralph Lauren* A family entertainment center and kids’ camp; 11 boutiques.* The Flagler Club, private club level with a private concierge and residential ambiance, Interactive Family Entertainment Center and Kid’s Camp. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, getaroom.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your The Breakers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.