“Terribly Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Washington, DC
“Terribly Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed here in June this year with our three boys for our fourth year in a row. In the past, this has been our Heaven, our trip to make up for all of the craziness of spring and our perfect family excursion. I have been putting off writing this review because I thought it might make me remember more good than bad--but not so much. When you get down to it, my husband and I could not BELIEVE how much we were nickled and dimed compared to other years. We are more than willing to spend--this is the place to do it. However, the prices in every single restaurant went UP, and i mean WAY up, and so did the prices in the shops, etc. The camp, which in previous years had been included in our summer program, was no longer included, which, we were told upon arrival, making our stay an extra $70 times 3 kiddos, per day. No complimentary coffee in the lobby any longer in the mornings, but rather, one must trudge to the cafe to get it for themselves, and again, pay for it. No more use of the gym in the main building where the views of the ocean are present as you use the equipment--now, suddenly, another CHARGE for this but we were welcome to use a different gym on the 2nd floor......The playground, which is one of the reasons we come, knowing that our boys will have a place to blow off some steam before the dinner hour, was CLOSED for construction while we were there. I did alert the management to the fact that we were disappointed both with the camp situation as well as the kid center, to which, we were given a bungalow for a day as an amenity to our disappointment. Really? Fine but that, in addition to the CRUMMY condition of the beach which was basically overrun with weeds, so much so that we couldn't swim, we didn't feel that the luxury we had in the past. Really too bad--perhaps the timing did have something to do with it as the kids facilities were being re-done, but no excuse really. We have loved this property for years, had it in our minds as our spot of family tradition but we are likely going to put off returning anytime soon. I will add that the housekeeping staff was beyond great and did an incredible and consistent job, the pool staff was attentive and friendly, the camp staff TERRIFIC, but the front desk staff avoids speaking to folks, unfriendly, unprofessional and really not up to par for a property such as this. We hope things perk up before we consider visiting again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed at The Breakers for a company function. I wouldn't have gone to the resort on my own in August because it is REALLY hot and humid. It was so hot that we couldn't even make it through a round of golf because the humidity drained us. The pool and beach are the best places to be. If you are staying at the resort in August, plan on thunderstorms every afternoon around 4pm. The staff is very serious about protecting guests from lightening. They make everyone completely evacuate the pool area and beach. They pack up the umbrellas and remove the chairs. The best plan is to get down to the beach and pool early.

Tipping goes a long way at the beach. If you want a good seat, tipping will get you one. If you want to leave your chairs and take a walk along the beach, tip the staff to ensure that you still have your place when you return. I saw one couple lose their spot even though they had left personal items on the lounge chair and asked the staff to hold their chairs.

The Breakers has the nicest staff I have ever encountered. Everyone went out of their way to provide outstanding customer service. I agree with the another reviewer about housekeeping. They seem to be the only department not highly trained in customer service. They came at odd times or not at all.

We ordered room service one morning. It not only arrived in a timely manner but the staff person delivering the food called from down the hall to let us know he was on his way. He said he didn't want to surprise us by just showing up at our door. It was such a nice touch. I wish every hotel did that.

The food at all the restaurants is pricey but excellent. They have some high end clothing stores and one sports shop. They have a surprisingly good selection of clothing and a great staff at the sports clothing store. If you want to shop at the fancy boutiques on Worth Ave in Palm Beach, be prepared for a ghost town. There is not much action and some of the stores are closed for the month of August.

This resort is wonderful. The Breakers is a grand, iconic hotel. It was a joy to stay there....even in August.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view is probably not worth the extra expense. There is construction going on at t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed here for a night with a in-house group event. Other than price I can't think of one complaint. Even got a free room upgrade without asking. Service and amenities are fantastic. I work for luxury hotels around Miami and this was my first time in palm beach.

Stayed August 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I went with another couple to enjoy an adult weekend. The building is beautiful, the bar-lounge is great, as is the food; golf course very good and well maintained.
BUT the beach is a total fraud, the pictures in the internet are NOT real...and the service at the beach and pool are not good at all. And there was a construction we where not told about.
We were really disappointed about the BEACH

Room Tip: Partial view NOT good!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed four days. I was here for a business conference but had a couple of afternoons to enjoy as well. This is a classic old place but I found it well maintained, it felt like a fine antique, not old. My room itself was very nice, although the view was of a roof top and vents so that was disappointing. But the room itself was lovely and good size. The first night I ordered room service and it arrived within 30 minutes and was very good. I was disappointed in the morning not to be able to find anywhere to have coffee near the beach but the Circle is a nice place for a meal (the outside resturant was being remodeled). Our Conference facilities were very good as was the food. There is a basic, clean, decently equipped workout room or one can pay $25 a day for the premier gym. I spent a couple of afternoons at the adult pool where all the staff were very pleasant and accommodating. I will admit the beach is a bit small but also well staffed. I have stayed at several other resorts of this type (for example the Broadmoor in Colorado) and found this to be on par with those. I would visit again. It seem to be kid friendly but also had spaces for adults only.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
New Port Richey, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

When I was going to be visiting The Breakers with my husband, who was attending a conference, I thought it would be nice to have family in the area come to visit. I phoned ahead of time to verify that there would not be a problem having my family join us at the pool/beach and that there would not be a limit since I had up to nine family members who might be visiting. The last thing I wanted was an embarrassing confrontation in front of my family. I was told that it was fine for my family to visit and that there was no limit on the number who could visit and join us at the pool/beach. I asked if there was any self-parking or if it was only valet parking and was told that it was only valet parking which was $25 per vehicle but which could be validated by showing a receipt indicating that at least $25 was spent while at The Breakers. We figured we would buy each family member a drink while out at the pool/beach to cover the cost of the parking. The morning of their visit I asked at the gate if I needed to notify them of my visitors or if my visitors just needed to give my name and room number. I was told they just needed to give my name and the attendant kindly pointed out a free self-parking lot which was available, room permitting. When my guests arrived I accompanied them to the pool/beach area where I was stopped and told that there was a $30 fee per guest. I was not happy about this considering I made sure to call ahead of time so that there would be no unpleasant surprises when I arrived with my guests. They called for a manager who said that he understood my concern regarding the lack of communication about the fee but since he could not waive the fee he would split it with me. There were six adults and one child so they only charged me for three of the adults. That was $90 plus $5 tax. I specifically stayed an extra night so that my family could visit with us after my husband's conference ended. Next time I will save my money, and meet my family somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, The Breakers is a beautiful hotel but in recent years the service has declined. The personal touch seems to be missing along with important information regarding fees. If money is if no consequence, by all means stay at The Breakers. If you like to know what something is going to cost beforehand look elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife used to g this nice property years ago ..
So we decided to go for a weekend.
She has described it as a romantic getaway. so I was looking forward ..
We arrived and found ourselves in the midst of screaming children - it was spring break!
Our room was fine, facing the beach, so we started to relax.
The next morning - we attempted to go a relaxing breakfast - and ended up waiting behind long lines of families and upset kids.
We could not find couple of chairs in the pool - they were all taken.
Saying that: We might have chosen the wrong time to visit?
The hotel is nicely maintained, and walking on the beach was magical.
The eateries are good.
Maybe we should try it again??

Room Tip: Get a room with a beach front.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!