“Get the kids under control Breakers..as many of us are stating” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 South County Road, Palm Beach, FL 33480   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Get the kids under control Breakers..as many of us are stating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Come on Breakers..I thought one more visit might be an improvement but as so so many of the Reviewers are stating...the kids are out of control EVERYWHERE!!! I do feel it will harm the Hotel when it comes to the higher spending clients..MGMT...you need to address the out of control kids and their irresponsible Parents...

Room Tip: demand floors with limited number of families/kids IF you want peace
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Turkish first
Jupiter, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I wish there was a way to have floors in the hotel just for kids with families. this has always been a problem and around the pool is terrible at times. i guess the parents feel they need a break too, but it should not at other peoples expense. I used to be a member of the Breakers. And had friends that stayed there. There was a time I saw a dirty diaper in the pool and complained there were more servants in the pool than members. The ladies were tucked away in their cabanas and the men were playing golf, so when I wanted to swim I have the kids and the help. This was years ago, and they have come a long way but I still see the problem with Discipline...... Maybe complaining to the main mgr. might help.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Awesome hotel! I brought my husband here to celebrate our 6th anniversary. I surprised him with a one-hour golf lesson with a pro for his anniversary present. One of the traditional 6th anniversary gifts was iron, so I thought a golf lesson with a pro was appropriate. He thoroughly enjoyed his lesson and learned a lot, especially from the video analysis of his golf swing.

When we got to our hotel room, it was very nicely appointed. Their attention to detail did not go unnoticed. There was complimentary bottled water in a tray on the bed, a stocked fridge, ceiling fan, and clock radio with ipod dock. The TV looked like it was matted and framed surrounded by vintage artwork of the hotel. The mirrored closet doors when opened activated a light revealing a safe, bedroom slippers, plush and thick robes, a tote bag and even a brightly colored umbrella!

The bathroom was roomy with more than an ample supply of towels and larger than usual toiletries including mouthwash. There was also a canister with make-up pads and q-tips and a lighted magnified mirror. The neatest thing of all was the mirror TV with Bose ceiling speaker!

When the bell hop came to deliver our luggage, he asked us where we were from, and I told him that we were local celebrating our anniversary. He congratulated us and thanked us for spending our special occasion with them.

We then walked the grounds and checked out the restaurants on the premises. This hotel is also family friendly with a nice playground and jungle gym as well as an entertainment center for the kids located in the Italian Restaurant. There was an arcade, aquarium, playrooms, and activity areas for crafts and other events. There were at least 2 fitness centers in the main building, a plush spa and salon and another fitness center that offered a variety of fitness classes and 5 swimming pools. There were bungalows available for daily rental at one of the pools that included private bath, tv, couch, ceiling fan, refrigerator and lounge chairs with umbrella. Music throughout the grounds came from outdoor Bose speakers and sounded great. Pool attendants provide lounge chair covers indicating the lounge chair is taken. There was also fruit infused water available to guests at each pool and menus to order drinks from.

When we got back to our room to change for dinner, there was an anniversary card and a box of Hoffman's chocolates waiting for us. We ate at the Italian Restaurant that night. The wait staff was excellent and attentive. The only downside was that it was not a quiet romantic dinner as there were families with small children. We should have selected a different restaurant geared more for adults like The Seafood Bar is unique in that the bar counter is actually an aquarium. Pretty cool!

A complimentary continental breakfast in the Circle dining room was included with the room. A $10 upgrade would include the breakfast buffet with made to order eggs, waffles, etc. which normally costs $40. The continental breakfast was quite extensive with a great selection of pastries, breads, bagels, fruits including some exotic ones like the dragon fruit, hot oatmeal, yogurt parfaits and more, so unless you're especially hungry, you can easily get your fill without the upgrade.

The hotel is elegant throughout with many shops and beautiful grounds and beach. The staff are all uniformed depending on their duties, friendly, courteous and provided great service. It is easy to see why The Breakers is a 5-star hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean views with balcony are real nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wow...
Absolutely gorgeous historic hotel, right on the beach. The design and artwork will take your breath away.

Beautiful rooms, soft sheets, meticulously maintained and clean.
Service is superb - smiling, friendly staff everywhere.
The hotel is awesome for families - I can't get my son (9) out of kid's camp - he is so happy there. Great ratio of staff to kids, fun activities, loads of other kids.

Food is great, although somewhat overpriced. The breakfast buffet alone makes me never want to leave.

We were here for the Fourth of July, and the hotel and chairs set up on the golf course for guests to watch fireworks. Really cool.

Truly a world-class hotel. Incredible!

Room Tip: Upgrading to an ocean view is worth it. It is incredible to wake up to sunrise over the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We thought this hotel was going to be exceptional and be relaxing. No way. Kids screaming and yelling everywhere. No place can you get away. The parents were the worst and were of no help. I thought that the caliber of patron would be higher, but I felt like I was in he'll. food is a tremendous ripoff. Spinach artichoke dip was $29 and horrible. No meal for two was less than $150. I feel like I've been raped. On top of that when I checked in they swiped my Amex for the entire stay plus $500, and didn't tell me. I wanted to pay in cash and now have to wait for a credit back on American Express, of which I needed credit for something else. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. I can't wait to check out tomorrow. What an absolute waste of money.

• Stayed July 2013
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our plan was to pound the pavement at Disney for four days then recover with a few days of luxury at The Breakers. For context I'll mention that we are experienced world travelers and have stayed in hotels ranging from budget to luxury, but from the moment of our arrival we felt that something was off here. We were a little out of sorts having toured Disney in the morning then driving to The Breakers. While the valet staff was friendly the entire arrival was rushed and uncomfortable. There was no option to self-park so organizing bags and kids while we bailed out of the car in the flurry of scurrying valets and bellmen was a totally disorienting introduction to our stay.

We felt our reception at the desk to be a bit chilly. The clerk gave us our keys and we were on our way to our room. Unfortunately, our keys didn't open the lock. My husband went back to the desk to request a new set, but while we waited by the room the bellman passed us with our bags. We mentioned that the keys didn't work, he gave us a funny look and moved on with our bags. Turns out that the young lady at reception had written the wrong room number on our keys. I usually wouldn't complain about this, mistakes happen, but once we saw our room we were disgusted. While we had booked a room advertised as having a lovely resort view they had stuck us in a claustrophobic room with a tiny window overlooking a bunch of roof vents. That's not an exaggeration - no water or garden in sight, nothing but an interior view of roof vents outside of our first floor window. It appeared that the room wasn't regularly used. It was very warm, stuffy, and smelled moldy. The bellman noticed that there wasn't a refrigerator, but offered to have one sent up. There were no tissues in the tissue boxes. While clean, it just seemed to be neglected. We then noticed that there was no ventilation in the bathroom. How can you have a separate toilet with absolutely NO ventilation? Worst of all we realized that we had made a mistake - when we checked the booking we had booked 2 double beds (not queen, but double beds). I didn't even realize that hotels offered double beds, especially a luxury hotel. With the 4 of us sharing one room, the kids being tall teens, you'd think the clerk would have mentioned this. There is no way the hotel was fully booked, in fact I'd bet it wasn't even at 50% capacity because there just weren't many guests around (and we overheard a staff comment at breakfast which seemed to confirm this). We weren't offered an upgrade, even after we were sent to the wrong room by the clerk's mistake.

We thought we'd turn the day around and go relax at the pool or beach. While it was lovely, again something seemed off. I asked the beach attendant what chairs we could use and we settled in. But there was nothing relaxing about it. It was about 4:00 and the attendants were rushing around, taking down umbrellas, moving chairs, cleaning up. Picture a queen bee in a hive - we wanted to relax, but there was so much activity with unsmiling workers frantically buzzing around that it just took the joy out of it.

After dinner we unanimously agreed to check out the next day, but to add insult to injury we couldn't even enjoy a quiet night in our too-small beds. Our room shared a small entry hall with the adjoining room. Our neighbors allowed their child to yell at the top of his lungs outside our door late at night - it woke me and I was wearing earplugs. Four wonderful nights with outstanding service at the Disney Polynesian without a hitch (and no screaming kids) and our luxury vacation at The Breakers made us run for it.

The one shining moment was the continental breakfast. The waitress was very friendly, the setting was beautiful, and the buffet selection was excellent.

Our best beach vacations have been in Hawaii. We had hoped to find some of that magic at The Breakers, but it was far too pretentious and not a good fit for families. We won't be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights for a bachlorette party and have to say this is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. The employees were super nice and professional. I was especially impressed with their security. One of their hot security guys named Mitch was very helpful as he could tell I was lost as I wandered the hotel aimlessly. The hotel is so clean and beautiful. I definitely plan on returning.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!