“Oustanding Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Burlington, NJ
“Oustanding Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for the first time. We had visited The Breakers last summer for breakfast and I had been dreaming about staying ever since. It was everything I could have hoped for and more.

We arrived mid-morning as we had booked spa appointments and the front desk was able to check us into our room and arrange for our bags to be waiting in our room when we were finished in the spa.

The hotel property is very large. The spa is near the pool and beach area. I had a manicure and pedicure and enjoyed them both.

The pool area is beautiful. There are 5 pools plus beach access, 2 restaurants and a Tiki Bar overlooking the beach. The bathrooms in the pool area are very well appointed with anything you would need. The staff around the pool and beach can not be more helpful. The guys on the beach work especially hard setting up loungers, umbrellas and are always there to bring you a drink too. We had breakfast one morning at the Ocean Club Grill. It was very good and a great view of one of the pools and the ocean. We also had lunch at the Beach Club Grill with our entire family. They could not have been more accomodating since we had a 9 year old and a newborn visiting us. Meghan at the pool was very helpful with suggestions and bringing me my favorite drink of the trip - 1/2 mango daiquiri, 1/2 pina colada = AWESOME.

I have to mention, Jessica, a bartender at the Tiki Bar, she made us so comfortable and was so helpful going the extra mile by contacting other staff with some arrangements that we needed to make. She handled things so well that it took away any apprehension we may been feeling so we could truly enjoy our stay. Thank you Jessica.

Our room was beautfully appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was great, including the TV that is part of the mirror!

The interior of the hotel is just incredible. They don't build them like this anymore. Around every corner is something worth stopping to look at. We were nosy and peeked at a few of the ballrooms and they were magnificent.

The Seafood Bar was so great that we had dinner there twice. The aquarium bar is really interesting and the view on a full moon night was truly memorable. As was the Shrimp and Grits my husband had.

The Tapestry Bar off the lobby is so beautiful. The music seemed a little unecessary to me but they know their business better than I do.

Our checkout experience almost brought tears to my husband's eyes. A bellman came up for our bags. By the time we came downstairs and went to the front desk to check out, they had brought the car around had the bags in the car and were offering us bottled water for our trip.

First Class all the Way!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I loved every minute of our stay at The Breakers. I thought my family of five would seem out of place in this posh place but we didn't at all. They have so much to do for kids of all ages that everybody was happy to be there. When you visit this exquisite property, don't leave the kids behind. My three kiddos (5 and under) loved every second! Here's my blog review: http://mamaliciousmaria.blogspot.com/2012/04/luxury-living-spring-break-at-breakers.html

Room Tip: Check for the cost of a suite over connecting rooms...it might be cheaper. And go during low season...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

business trip and cannot say how wonderful rooms and service were for us! my husband still raves about best cubano sandwich ever at pool cafe; the beach is spectacular; pools too crowded with kids; loved the seascape music and chocolates and bath products! pricey but charming style, class, and comforts for "family" approach

• Stayed May 2011
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

On a recent visit to Palm Beach, my friends and I dropped by the Breakers for cocktails. We walked from our nearby condo which apparently people don't do in that part of town. Just walking up from the road, flanked by a velvet green golf course, along the palm tree allee is a treat. Inside, we watched a party in the courtyard getting underway. Even though we were dressed less formally than the guests, we felt welcome. We sat at the bar in a restaurant facing the ocean. The bar surface, which mesmerizes, is a fish tank. The bartender promptly offered us a drink menu and touted a Martini special made with cucumbers and ginger. We stuck with the original, which he kindly kept reloaded with olives. Watching the resorters in posh tropical attire enjoy their meals and the rolling sea beyond was entertaining. For the price of a drink ($11 for a good-sized vodka Martini), you can feel like a Rockefeller, if only for an evening.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Pros: Hands down, The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast everyday with Lynn, our waitress was a real treat. She was a delight and so personable. The breakfast is delicious and worth the price. The gym is small but you can still get a good workout. As a HR professional, they get good grades for their employee orientation. Staff is well trained and professional. If you don't want to eat on site, you can walk to a few really good places. Trevini on Sunset was very good. I would recommend it hands down. Nicki & Johnnies was good for lunch. Blue Martini in West Palm is fun for Happy Hour, 1/2 price drinks and a very nice and friendly staff.

Cons: For a place that is this historic, one would think the walls would be 12-inches thick. NOT the case at all. You can hear everything in the next room. We asked to me moved after the first night to a different room since the couple next door were watching TV and talking and you could hear every word. Hence, the suggestion for ear plugs! Be mindful that if you like to take an afternoon nap, it won't be easy. The housekeeping staff are working and talking and you can hear them. Not their fault. Again, thin walls!
If you can, bring your own pillow. You will thank me for this suggestion. The hotel really scores low here. Pillows are limp and flat. Even with two, you're still laying flat. Smoking should NOT be allowed at all. I had a gentleman sit in front of me and light up a cigar. I asked the pool guy if that was allowed and he said it was permitted at "this pool" which surprised me since I would have thought that The Breakers would be a smoke-free property. I would have moved to a different chair, but there were no other chairs available. The 20% mark-up adds up so be very careful. Everything has a surcharge and parking is $20.00 per day.

The Breakers were always on my list of places to visit so I'm glad I made the trip. Was it worth the price? Not really sure. However, if and when I do go back, I'll make sure I get one those summer specials where the prices are more customer friendly with a more perks!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I liked the feeling of the hotel, it almost brings you back in time....
Loved the cabanas as well...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have to say this is one of the worst vacations, spring breaks I've ever encountered,. My 9 year old daughter was injured today in the pool and when I complained to the life guards they had the nerve to ask me what I expected them to do. For starters it was another guest who was playing football in the pool that slammed his head into my daughters nose! They then proceeded to give me a cold compress pack that did not work. The life guard proceeded to call security to fill out a head injury report. My daughter's nose was swollen and she was saying she was having trouble breathing through it. I asked if they knew where I could take her to have a X-ray performed to make sure it was not fractured and was told no they did not - I then talked to the pool manager who told he thought she was fine and would be ok. However, having been a nurse for many years I didn't leave it and was handed over to management - I was then basically handed a list of clinics and was dismissed and was told to fend for myself getting there. I was here on vacation with not one but 2 children alone without my husband. I ended up taking my daughter In a cab to a clinic I was told to go to - and the hours had been changed - and was closed. The cab driver then took us to a hospital er! Long story short - she does have a fractured nose and now I must follow up with a maxilla facial surgeon in am - not once did anyone even follow up with us to see how she was when we returned at 1000pm at night. I am appalled at the entire experience and will not return here again. This situation aside - the room is horrible and service has been less than warm or timely. Nthe room service is slow and not the food quality less than what you expect at a posh resort. We are paying over $600 a night for a total lack of concern and quality. I am finished with the Breakers. I am truly disappointed with the entire experience.

Room Tip: I have been here before and do not think one exists
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Marriott West Palm Beach
#14 of 34 in West Palm Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 483 reviews
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!