“weekend get away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Palm Beach
Loxahatchee, Florida
“weekend get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

One of the nicest hotels, love the ambiance, very romantic, very clean and incredible nice people.
hotel is very different from any other hotes i've been, I stayed in lots of hotes from Key Bizcaine to West Palm, and I really love the decor of the Omphoy with its dark colors and soothing details. The staff is very acommodating, and always ready to seve you and make your stay a special one.
I woud definately recomend this hotel if you are looking for a romantic, quiet, and pampering getway.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DCarr1, General Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am very glad to hear that we left you with a great memory and appreciate you sharing that with TripAdvisor. Your comments have been shared with the team and it is what keeps them motivated to continue providing caring service and a quality experience.
We hope you will come visit us again and I look forward to the opportunity to thank you personally.

724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

This is the strangest hotel. Don't know who did the decorating, but it's not good. Our room was so dark, the windows dirty - you can't see out and it makes it feel darker. The bathroom glass doors were streaked and smudged, as were the little handles looked smudgy too, giving the feeling that it wasn't really clean.
For some reason I feel bad giving this hotel a bad reccomendation, but I have to say I'd never go back.
On the bright side the staff is so nice. The beach area is great and the outdoor restaurant is a perfect place to eat if you want a beautiful ocean view. The bar has a cool look.
The food is underwhelming but not terrible. The beds are comfortable and clean.
If this were my hotel, I would get rid of the awful electric blue carpeting, I would replace the heavy dark wood blinds in all the rooms with light drapes and spend a bit more on housekeeping to make the place appear a little bit cleaner.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Omphoy Guest,
Thank you for your time to share your comments - the pros and the cons. I am sorry that we left you with a feeling of not recommending our hotel and I hope there is something I can do to change that.
It would be my pleasure to discuss your experience with us personally. I can be reached at 561-540-6443 and hope you will contact me.
Your comments about the nice staff and the service tell us we are focused on our goals. I am very sorry that the cleanliness of the room fell short and I have shared this with our Director of Housekeeping and her team. We maintain extremely high standards of cleanliness and will not accept anything less. The proper actions will be taken to assure this does not repeat itself.

Once again, thank you for your comments as they will guide us through improvements.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Staying at the omphoy is comparable to staying in a foreign hotel where the front desk and many service staff do not care about your experience or return visits. We travel extensively and have stayed at the Breakers on previous trip but decided to try this hotel as it looked great in photos. Do not let the photos fool you. Our room was dirty and tiny. The front staff was cold and aloof. The service and cleanliness of the Breakers is amazing so stay there if you have the choice. Room service at the omphoy was limited and restaurant options are mediocre. Our issues regarding broken furniture in our room were never addressed with the manager until the last day of our seven day stay although the front desk staff told us they were conveyed. Never received newspapers, hair in drawers from previous guests upon check in. Dirty, broken furniture, etc. etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
DCarr1, General Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Omphoy Guest,
I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your experience at The Omphoy. Your comparisons of The Omphoy to The Breakers is confusing as the hotels are worlds apart in design, size, personal service and amenities. As a Four Diamond AAA hotel, a Conde Nast Traveler Readers Choice winner and a Top 504 Hotel Conde Nast recognized hotel, we strive very hard to provide our guests with personal attention every step of the way. Our Michelle Bernstein Restaurant, under the direction of James Beard Award Winning Chef and Iron Chef Winner against Bobby Flay, has also been noted as The Best Restaurant by Boca Magazine and New Times Weekly.

I am very sorry that you did not bring your concerns to the management as I am confident that we would have quickly rectified everything on the spot. Based on your preference of a traditional, old world hotel I will assume that the contemporary, Asian inspired design of The Omphoy may not be to your liking. However, if you wish to give us another try, please feel free to contact me directly to assist you.
561-540-6443
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I think this hotel is absolutely TERRIBLE- with only two exceptions: the people who work in the beach-side restaurant, and the food at the restaurant.
Our bad experience started right when we walked in the door- we were interrogated and treated like intruders when trying to check in. The people at the front desk were extremely rude and condescending, and asked to see multiple forms of identifcation before letting us check in. This treatment continued throughout our stay- every time we walked in or tried to go to the restaurant, someone would literally block our way and jump in front of us before accusingly asking if they could help us. It was very odd and certainly off putting and annoying. The layout of the hotel and rooms was very odd (we had a suite). The pool being in front of the hotel (essentially in the middle of the parking lot) was really less than ideal. There was also a large private party one of the nights we were there, which was RIGHT ACROSS from our suite. I mean, what stupid hotel designer thought putting a party room across from a very expensive guest room was a good idea?? My mom had to call downstairs multiple times to talk about the noise since none of us could sleep, and they were of course rude to her and completely unapologetic. She also had to spend an hour or so discussing this with them when we checked out as she thought the fact that we couldn't sleep would warrant some sort of discount or compensation. The people (including the manager) were unbelievably unprofessional and did not have a customer service attitude. I have stayed at many four and five star resorts around the world, and have never experience treatment like this from a staff. Truly unbelievable. As not to ramble on, I will just say that this hotel was overall a completely awful experience. Go to the restaurant, the food was fabulous, but don't stay here!!

• Stayed December 2010
DCarr1, General Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear Omphoy Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at The Omphoy. Although upsetting, feedback is important and it is what helps us correct ourselves if something has gone wrong. I would be very interested in discussing your visit with us if you would like to contact me personally.

We regret that you found our need to ask for identification to that of an interrogation. Being a transient industry, it is important for us to verify that the person arriving is the person reserved and unfortunately credit cards are not a means of identification. This procedure follows suit with the airline industry and most retail services. I do sincerely apologize if the staff member was rude in any way and will address that.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I am available if you would like to discuss this further and can be reached at 561-540-6440.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Had a nice time at the Omphoy- loved the beach, pool, and quality of the food at the casual restaurant. Surprisingly, we were a bit underwhelmed at the more formal restaurant upstairs. We enjoyed eating downstairs much better due to the food and the atmosphere. The room was clean and stylish with a very comfy bed. The concierge was helpful and polite. The main issue we had was with the service at the restaurant- they seemed very understaffed. While the food was delicious when we got it, it was slow going and seemed to be a management problem and lack of organization - the servers were always very apologetic, but it just seemed that they were overwhelmed. Unfortunately, we experienced some level of slow service and confusion at almost every meal we ate (at least one, if not two or three, each day). We are easy going and laughed it off so as not to detract from the trip and still very much enjoyed our time in Palm Beach- would highly recommend the strawberry mojitos and key lime pie.

The front desk staff was also very helpful, with the exception of when I called the night before we arrived. I asked if the hotel had any car service or transport service from the airport - I was told that they did not, and that I should get a cab or rent a car. Renting a car on short notice was not an option over the weekend, and the front desk informed me that the cab ride would be around 45 dollars. When we arrived, the concierge and front desk staff on duty informed us of the car service that the hotel uses - much nicer and cheaper. The yellow cab folks at the airport and the drivers in palm beach were less than pleasant, also, and it would have been nice to have used the hotel's car service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DCarr1, General Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Omphoy Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments and experience at The Omphoy on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your kind words about the staff and food quality and your overall experience. However, I would like to apologize for the service delays you experienced in our Terrace Restaurant. We pride ourselves on delivering both quality food and quality service and I am sorry that it seems you did not get both. I have shared your experience with our management team and we all recognize this to be unacceptable. We do hope you will trust that we will correct this and consider visiting us again.
As a full service resort hotel, our Concierge and Front Desk Team has (almost) everything a guest needs at their fingertips. I am sorry for the misinformation you received and have been able to correct this with the help of your feedback.

Thanks again
561-540-6440
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We just returned from a disappointing week at the Omphoy. We were enticed by the stay 2 nights and get one free...but it wasn't worth it. We had ocean view room, and won't return nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

The kitchen service left much to be desired. It was disorganized and poorly managed, the staff ill-trained to work at a hotel with these costs. We ate at least one meal here daily for a week, and only once did a meal go right. Examples:
- One day we ordered room service which flat out never arrived. (They did comp us a meal for this.)
- One night we called for room service and were told the kitchen would call us back to take our order. Never happened. When we called the kitchen directly they told us they had closed early that night (at 10 pm, rather than at midnight as the front desk indicated.) We wound up having to pull the car out of valet and drive around town hunting for food. Annoying. Guy at the front desk was very apologetic and said that the manager would be notified...if that ever happened, we never heard about it.
- We came to expect mistakes at breakfast. With the exception of one meal, we never got what we ordered in the morning. Wrong toast, coffee never delivered, wrong side. Or we'd get someone else's meal. Or, my favorite, food was brought to our table and then a few minutes later, with no explanation, a hostess came and whisked it away. Another morning the kitchen was out of granola and jam. Who stocks your kitchen?? You service breakfast every morning and you run out of a simple thing like jam?
- To top it all off, on the last day, I had to again correct an order. When the waiter brought it, he said, "Is this okay now?" in a sarcastic tone rather than offer an apology. I really don't need to be made to feel bad for asking for what I ordered.

Food was okay, small portions. We didn't eat at the famous restaurant onsite after all the problems we had with simple meals.

If you stay here, CHECK YOUR BILL. Somehow, after all the mishaps, we weren't surprised to find checking out that we had been overcharged nearly $200 dollars on our invoice. We were double charged for valet parking and there was a large room service order on the bill that wasn't ours. We only caught it because it contained so much alcohol. Apparently the desk had stapled the wrong room service bill to ours. They corrected it, yes. But offered NO apology whatsoever for the overcharge, which we could have very easily missed. Just, "Oh, we see what happened!" A really bad note to end on, but kind of summed up the entire experience.

Service aside, there's the decor. The management will tell you it's not for everyone and well, it wasn't for us. Good service would have lightened our mood about the darkness of this place but the combination made for a bad stay. A lot of people have already commented about how this place looks, so I was warned. But I do wish now we had opted for more cheery hotel. We came to Florida to escape a cold and dreary Northeast Winter -- walking into the lobby in midday and seeing dark everything, even employees dressed in black, was a downer. Call me old fashioned but I like light. Maybe it's hip and cool, maybe at 35 I'm too old for this place. I just didn't look forward to waking up in our "cave" each morning, having to turn on lamps to get the day started when outside it was already bright and sunny. If I partied all night and wanted to sleep all day I guess this would be ideal. Some people rave about the oceanfront rooms, those are probably brighter.

It's been noted before but also weird: to get to the beach you must walk straight through the restaurant, and to get to the pool, you walk though the parking lot. There's a $20 fee for an umbrella at the beach, a meatless Cesar salad at the pool will run you $16 before tip and tax, valet parking is $25 a day...you get the idea. One nice touch is they promise a NY Times 6 days of the week. That was nice until one morning we didn't get one because oops, they "ran out."

Overall, bummer trip the Omphoy. :(

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DCarr1, General Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear Guest of The Omphoy Ocean Resort,
I must be honest and tell you that I am very embarrassed on behalf of my team and myself. We missed the boat on both service and quality during your stay and I am very sorry. Knowing a guest is unhappy and we did not correct it is not what we are about. I would be very appreciative of an opportunity to discuss the visit if you would like and to see what we can do to redeem ourselves.
As you noted, the design of the hotel generates different feelings with different guests. And dispite that, you were still willing to offer us your business.

I will look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.
Thank you for your feedback.

561-540-6443
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

We were so impressed with the upscale, casual atmosphere of this elegant beach side property that contrasts with the stuffy, overpriced feel of the Breakers. We discovered this treasure while walking along the beach - having stumbled into the rear entrance of the hotel, looking for lunch. We had no reservations, but the friendly and alert staff quickly went into high gear and re-arranged tables to accommodate us, even though they were fully committed. We had such a good experience with the staff that we inquired about staying. Sold Out! But at the last minute they had a cancellation, and we had a great room, with a spectacular ocean view. This property is intimate, right on the water, and you can hear the ocean all night long. Absolutely a beach-lovers hotel, with walk on access to a private beach, and gourmet lunches served while you bask. We could not get over the caliber of the staff -- after 1 day they knew our names and consistently were helpful, upbeat, funny. The energy of this hotel is young, vibrant, chic, edgy, casual and above all warm. It absolutely seems like the staff wants you to have a good time, and they are having a good time running the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Omphoy Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!