The Omphoy Ocean Resort is a lovely piece of property located right on the beach. The water is gorgeous and the large patio is a perfect space to relax and soak in the warm sun by day or stargaze at night. That said, I feel the need to point out the pitfalls...yes, there are some.
The hotel interior is very dark, especially those guest rooms on the lower north side due to a neighboring property that is very close. Our room on the 2nd floor had a terrace which overlooked a children's play yard which caused no problem but I wouldn't choose to stay over it again. The bed was okay and I found the furnishings to be both interesting and functional. There were some things missing, however. More about that later on.
What I found most amazing at the Omphoy was the food! Whether ordering room service, eating out on the patio or at Malcolm's - The Art of Food, every dish seems to be created with imagination and a passion for the craft. It's pricey, but this is one area where the quality is so mind-blowing that I truly didn't care. Any meal here is an experience to be remembered. Kudos to the chef!
After many hours of travel I wanted nothing more than to simply relax in my room over a late lunch. I ordered a sandwich (which while pricey, was awesome) from room-service and have to say that they were both prompt and courteous. It was after devouring the delicious first half that I discovered I had no way to keep the second. There's no fridge in the room, only a small mini-bar and assortment of snacks along with a bottle of water you could purchase. Additionally, there's no ice and it can only be obtained by having someone bring it up. There is no coffee-maker, no way to make tea. This means that anything you wish to consume must be purchased and as we later discovered, will be done so at their convenience.
We are early risers and enjoy our morning coffee while watching the news or reading the paper. Our first morning my husband went down about 5:30 in search of coffee and informed that it would not be ready until 6:30. We therefore adjusted our schedule accordingly and had no problem until the 3rd morning when he went down at 6:50 to find no coffee. He stood there as staff whisked by, ignoring him until finally he gave up and returned to our room. They wouldn't even make eye contact. We promptly dressed and took our business elsewhere.
Balance in all things makes for success, especially in the service industry. You can be a profitable high-end hotel without holding your guests hostage. I suspect that in time, the Omphoy will either learn this valuable lesson or change hands. There are certain aspects of the property that cannot be easily changed. It is imperative, therefore, that each guest leave feeling valued.
- Also Known As:
- Omphoy Ocean Hotel Palm Beach
- Omphoy Ocean Hotel
- Omphoy Ocean Resort Palm Beach, Florida
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beckoning like a shimmering wave, The Omphoy Ocean Resort is the first new oceanfront resort on Palm Beach in more than 18 years, and the only beachfront boutique hotel on the island. Contemporary and chic, the hotel engages the escapist in everyone with an unpretentious air of sophistication combined with the continuous flow of fresh ocean breezes.The Omphoy boasts 130 guestrooms and suites all of which offer panoramic water views of the Atlantic Ocean or Intracoastal Waterway. This beachfront getaway also offers an exclusive dining experience in The Restaurant at the Omphoy and the unequalled experience of our mind-body spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Amex, Travelocity, Olotels, getaroom.com, Venere, Otel, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Omphoy Ocean Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.