“Great beach and terrace, location a little out of the way” 4 of 5 stars

Omphoy Ocean Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2842 South Ocean Boulevard, Palm Beach, FL 33480   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Palm Beach
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great beach and terrace, location a little out of the way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

As others have mentioned, this is a boutique hotel, not a huge resort, so some services are limited, but I don't necessarily see that as a negative. My biggest complaint with the hotel was the dark decor, as there were times when we had to stop to wait until we adjusted to the light to find our way to a room. It is also annoying that there is no coffee maker in the room. I agree with other reviewers that the bathroom sink/vanity area is a tad limited, but my husband and I made it work. The shower can get slippery, and there are no grab bars. I like the fact that it is a shower and not a bathtub. The toilet was in a separate room, and the only complaint is that the door is a solid, frosted glass door that needs to have some felt stoppers between the door and the door jamb to keep the door from banging closed. The hotel is directly on the beach, and the beach is actually fairly wide. There is a lovely outdoor dining/lounging terrace that overlooks the beach with nice tables as well as very comfortable lounge chairs. The terrace has about 6 foot clear glass partitions which helped to block the offshore winds. The beach chairs were comfortable and the attendants were all very nice. Service is a little slow on the beach b/c they are using the same staff as the hotel restaurants. Speaking of which, we ended up getting the lunch and breakfast buffets each day, which were just better values since we didn't really feel like going out to find a restaurant. Having said that, the buffets were $28 pp ++, but the selection was good, including made-to-order eggs and waffles. I'm sure we could have found good food if we had gone off the property, but the hotel staff wasn't very helpful about providing information about the local area. When I asked for local maps, we were handed only a map of Worth Avenue, which is about 30 minutes north of the hotel by car. The Omphoy is not close to a lot of what I suppose are the more "traditional" Palm Beach/West Palm Beach attractions. You are 30 minutes south of places like Singer Island, Palm Beach Shores, PBI, etc. and 45 min south of Jupiter. Again, I could be completely happy with this location, but you are limited as to what is within a reasonable and safe walking distance.

With regard to the hotel and the staff, we thought they were generally helpful, but sometimes a little slow. However, when we checked in, we were given a 2nd floor island/garden view room, which is what we had booked, but there was no balcony, and the room overlooked the front awning and parts of the pool area. We really wanted a balcony and asked if they had any rooms available with a balcony, and they quickly moved us to a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony and "garden" view at no extra charge. As others have noted, the hotel is close to other hotels, so the garden is not a large area between hotels, but I could still see the ocean if I angled my chair, and that was enough to make me happy, especially since I hadn't paid for an ocean view. The rooms were large enough for 2, but I found the bed to be uncomfortable, although the linens and pillows were very nice. Beds are a pretty personal "feel", and I frequently have stiff backs when I stay at hotels, so I think this is just a personal preference and not a knock on the actual bed being of a lesser quality. However, you do need to watch out for your toes, since the bed is on a platform and it is easy to kick your toes against the platform. The lighting in the room was a tad dark, especially if you kept the door closed. The pool area is very nice and private, and the fact that it was across the parking lot (which is maybe 10 steps) didn't bother us. In fact, it was a nice break from the wind on the beach. We also enjoyed the pool table on the main floor which was next to a large-screen TV with comfortable lounge seating. We each also had a massage. The spa is small and the "relaxation"/waiting area is not very relaxing, as you can hear any conversations at the reception desk, but they didn't keep us waiting for long. The massage was relaxing and we got a discount for being a hotel customer, but they do add on a standard gratuity, which isn't all that uncommon for a resort. Overall, we liked the hotel and loved being directly on the beach with the great outdoor terrace, but if you're looking for the trendy, Palm Beach Shores atmosphere, this may be a let down because of its location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front do not have balconys but overlook the pool and possibly have sunset views if up h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
We very much appreciate your review. We are glad you made the choice to stay with us and are pleased to hear you enjoyed the beach and outdoor terrace during your stay. We are happy that you were pleased with the breakfast and lunch buffets, and the service you received from our staff. We apologize that some of the amenities of your guestroom and bathroom fell short of expectations, but we are pleased that our staff was able to accommodate you with a room that better suited your wishes. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of the resort's amenities while you were here, and we are glad you enjoyed yourselves. We thank you again for your helpful feedback and will certainly take your comments under consideration as we make future updates to the resort.

656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Tierra Verde, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were spending one night in West Palm Beach and used Hotwire.com. This hotel was undisclosed at $129/night. Since we had never heard of "The Omphoy" we were not sure what to expect. (Hotel websites always have photos that ironically do not live up to the real deal.)

The staff is incredibly friendly, like Midwestern friendly, and not pretentious at all- which is incredibly refreshing.

The rooms are spacious, though the bathrooms are a little cozy (but, the space is used well).

The décor is a cross between buddist and Vegas hotel. It actually works and makes for a great atmosphere.

We had dinner on the oceanfront patio. Railings are glass, so in the daytime you get a full view of the ocean from the table. The mussels appetizer was excellent. Wine was decent.

They have a pool table, community TV, bar and fooseball table. People seemed to be very comfortable and having a great time.

The pool is in the parking lot, opposite the ocean. This is a little strange, but it's actually beautiful, fully contained by palm trees. You can't even tell it's in the parking lot. Very chic. And, it's open all night.

And, when they bring your car from valet upon departure, they offer you bottled water for your drive.

We would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to get away someplace quiet for a few days. We were very happy with hotwire score!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

As soon as I got to my room I knew this stay was not going to be what I expected. From the multiple rings on the countertop in the bathroom....left from the many glasses that have been placed there, to the stratched and banged up furniture, to the lack of cell phone service throughout the entire hotel and finally to the $28 dollar shrimp ceasar salad which i appropriately sent back with the delievery guy...once I saw the receipt which showed the cost of $14 for the salad and $14 for the shrimp (menu misleading)....are you kidding? This hotel has been anything but a great stay and it's only 9pm. As if that were not enough, the room service guy brought my crab cake up uncovered because he says it was put on the wrong plate and there was no cover for that plate???? WHAT. Who delivers uncovered food...that is a safety hazaard waiting to happen.....Water wasn't covered either. I was hoping for warm and chic and I got cold and dark. Ultimately, I ended up with 1 crab cake for dinner and had to stand on the balcony to try to get phone service. I was really hoping to get some work done as this was a quick business stay....not so much. At this point I'm just hoping that the night goes by fast and I have an uneventful check-out in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Omphoy Ocean Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had hoped it would be. It is disappointing that the upkeep of your guestroom was not what it should have been and we apologize for the issues you faced with our room service staff and pricing. We will certainly discuss these issues with our staff, so we can avoid them from happening in the future. We do appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to always be aware of our guests' experiences with us. Thank you again for your review.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

we had a super stay for 3 nights. it was a alumni business reunion. the room was excellent (upgraded) food and service was very high standard. we thought the facilities such as the business centre, public areas were first class. staff were very helpful and welcoming. we would certainly return.

Room Tip: we had a 4th floor corner overlooking the sea with balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, Jonathan. We thank you for letting us know your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are so happy that you were pleased with your guestroom and enjoyed your meals while you were here. It's wonderful that you thought so highly of our resort and that our staff was friendly and responsive to your needs. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to The Omphoy in the future.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We decided to celebrate my husband's birthday at the Omphoy. This was an excellent decision as the hotel far exceeded our expectations. The facility is elegant and located right on the ocean. Our beautiful room had a balcony with an ocean view. There were two restaurants, one was fine dining, the other was casual and overlooking the ocean and beach. We used the casual restaurant both nights and the food was excellent. One of the most memorable aspects of our stay was the outstanding service and friendliness of the staff. Molly, Shelly, Jose, Leah, Kam and Nelson catered to our every wish. They all went well above the level of service we have encountered at other high-end hotels. We will definitely return to the Omphoy in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and put a lot of thought into where we wanted to stay. We definitely wanted to stay on the beach. There was valet when we drove up to Omphoy but my husband and I had a lot of luggage and no staff offered to help us bring it into the hotel. The valet just hoped into our car as they waited for us to grab our things quickly. My husband and I had our hands full. We were almost dropping our bags on the way in. Check in was quick but the people at the front desk were unfriendly, just very dry and not welcoming. We had dinner reservations and I was anxious to freshin up. What happened next was something straight out of a chilling movie. I turned the bathroom light on to put on my makeup and all of a sudden lots and lots of cock roaches started crawling out from behind the mirror and the side walls. I yelled "Oh my gosh!!!" (As I scared my husband.) I was so freaked out that I grabbed my bags and packed up because the bugs were everywhere! They were in the sink and on the floor. My husband told the front desk, our room was changed right away. I was still very disturbed and I honestly think we should have been upgraded to an oceanfront room not an oceanview. Because our whole exprience was not a good one. That same night we went to bed at a decent hour because were very tired after a long day of traveling. At 12:30am we were awakened by the fire alarm. It was so loud I had ringing in my ears after. We got dressed and went outside downstairs where other guests were standing. We were only outside for about a minute and the man at the front desk said to us "you can go back to your rooms now." There was no apology or explanation for what happened. My husband and I looked at eachother with confusion. The next morning we called the spa at the Omphoy because a friend booked a couples massage for us. My husband talked to someone at the spa and they said they could not find our reservation. My husband then went to the spa and talked with someone face to face and the woman working there said we did not have a massage booked. She said to call the person that booked it for us and ask if she called the right spa because it is not in the computer. I became very frustrated with everything at this point. After about a half hour the spa called and said they actually found our reservation and it was in the computer. But we had already told our friend that our reservation was not paid for. This now upset our friend because this was an anniversary gift to us. After much confusion, the spa finally was able to book our couples massage. When we went to the spa, the staff working there was very friendly. But the woman at the desk said we had massages in separate rooms and we had scheduled to be in the same room. Luckily the couples massage room was available for us. She also asked us what kind of massages we were getting. I just think she should already know that answer if we booked it in advance. Overall, the hotel is beautiful and I loved the location but I don't think my husband and I would come back until customer service is better. I told a few family members about our experience and they said they would have demanded a refund. Now I wish we would have. It was an unusual anniversary unfortunately.

• Stayed November 2012
We thank you for making the choice to stay with us, and we are happy you thought the resort was beautiful and were pleased with our location. It is disappointing to hear that your anniversary weekend was not what you had hoped and we apologize for the issues you faced with our valet and front desk staff. We are very sorry for the problems you had with your reservation at our spa and your first guestroom, but we are glad our staff was able to accommodate you with another room. If you would like to discuss your experience with us further, we welcome you to contact us at guestservices@omphoy.com. We appreciate that you took the time to let us know about your stay with us and we hope to hear from you soon.
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Omphoy has beautiful style and ambiance. The rooms are pristine, the staff friendly. cheerful and go out of their way to help and assist. We have stayed at many four and five star hotels in England and the U.S. The Omphoy is different, you get upmarket style with friendliness, warmth and courtesey.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Omphoy Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!