“Lacks the essential...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Miami, FL
“Lacks the essential...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The hotel is ok. We had the two bedroom suite. There's one AC in the living room area and one in the main bedroom. There's no AC in the second bedroom or the kitchen area. It get really hot in both these areas that lack AC. Also, there's very poor lighting. There are two lamps in the living room area and one in each room. The lamps have a dim light bulb that barely lit the place. There's no light in the kitchen one little light bulbs in a china cabinet that's in the kitchen. And, there's no microwave...Anyone traveling with children know how necessary a microwave is...In order to get free wi-fi you have to get the password from the front desk. The internet is extremely slow an often difficult to connect..

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I would like to post my review for the purposes of letting everyone know how poorly managed this hotel is.
The hotel needs a MAJOR renovation ASAP, the rooms are OLD, the bathrooms are OLDER and full of MILDEW, the overall appearance of the hotel is run down and dirty, the TV's in the rooms are super small and OUTDATED, our room (#127) did not even have curtains, and a million other "small" details that make the guest stay so much more confortable...are completely missing from this property.
THE MANAGER of this HOTEL should be given a strict review and a COMPLETE Training on Customer Service Skills!!!
I booked this hotel over the internet (just as most people do nowadays), the pictures posted are so far from the TRUTH of what this hotel is!
Need to also point out that the pool area is basically a rather small pool surrounded by wooden tables and chairs, a bar and a restaurant; everything pretty tight as the space is not that big. The umbrellas set around the pool should be for the customers' comfort and so that everyone can sit down and have a nice meal; however the management refuses to set them in a way so that you can actually have some shade; having a meal or breakfast in the summer sitting outside looking at the sea is basically IMPOSSIBLE! We tried to move one of the umbrellas and were quickly told not to! A good example of the poor management skills the manager of the hotel has... Yesterday (Sunday) morning we had finished breakfast, but decided to stay in the table chatting while we admired the sea. We were rudly interrupted by the manager with the excuse that he had to fix and re-arrange the sitting, so we had to get up and leave!
Be ready to spend a lot of money, if you wish to stick around the pool area, if not you will be kicked out! I could go on about a dozen things this hotel lacks, however my time is more valuable. I work in the Hospitality Industry and know that even if the hotel is not in top shape, making the effort to please a guest can go a long way. This is NOT the case of this HOTEL; that is why I would suggest anyone considering staying here to re-evaluate and lok for another hotel.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a 4-day trip. The place looked pretty nice, but nothing at all was opened. The pool was closed. We had to go next door to another hotel's bar to drink and eat, because not even the bar was opened. The pool-side deck was available to sit or lay, but there was no food or drink, so you basically had to go elsewhere to eat. Also, the power went out while we was there for about 8 hours, and it was off at the next door hotel as well for about 2 hours and then came back on. This hotel did not - it was the only one out for so long. Also, they were supposed to have free wi-fi, so we asked for the code at the front desk. It never worked for the entire trip.

I complained about this to management and even sent a letter to management describing the very poor service and complete lies on the website about the hotel and it's ammenities, and didn't even get a response. I would never ever go here again, and for your sake, I hope you don't either.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this place.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We make a reservation online because it is described as a nice oceanfront hotel. We checked in later that day. The room was a decent size, but the mildew and mold smell was overwhelming. We did not plan on spending much time in the room since we were in town for Sun Fest. I tried to ignore the smell and looked around the room. The bathroom was small and dirty, the refrigerator was old and rusted, and a large COCKROACH was dead on the floor. I wanted to leave, but decided to let my husband decide. We walked up to the beach and looked around. The beach and restaurant area looked dirty and run down. My husband said, “ No way am I staying here. Lets go back to the office and tell them that we are leaving.” We explained the condition of the room and the dead cockroach to the manager. His expression led us believe that people checking out without staying was not an unusual occurrence. He wrote void on the receipt and we thought that was the end of it. We went to a hotel near town and had a great time at Sun Fest.

Two weeks later I looked at my credit card bill and saw that the rental company had charge us for the night. I contacted the Ocean Front Hotel web travel site where I had booked the room. They spoke to me and then put me on hold for a long time. When they came back on the line they explained that they could not help me and that I should contact the hotel directly between 9:00AM – 4:00PM. They stated that the person on duty could not look up my information.

The next morning I contacted the hotel and the person at the desk said that she was not management, but that I should call the Internet Company and have them call her. She said that she could see on the computer that the hotel had not charged us. I spent another half hour on the phone with the Internet Company. When they came back on the line they said that the lady that I had just spoken to could not fix the problem. I called the hotel back and ask her why she told me to contact the company if she was not able to do anything. She could not understand why I was upset. I guess they expect all of their unsatisfied clients to go through this hassle. Both companies were accusing the other of being the problem and kept telling me to contact the other number. The Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn and the Internet travel company said that they would call me back, but it is 8:00PM and neither of them has attempted to contact me.

Do not reserve a room from the Ocean Front Hotel travel site or the Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn unless you have seen the hotel and the room in person.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last spring. We were early so we decided to head to the bar. We were greeted by the bartender who was very friendly. I wanted a fruity beach drink and my husband wanted something strong. The bartender whip me up her specialty and gave my husband a crown on the rocks. That drink was to die for. At that moment we knew she was going to be our bartender for the rest of our trip. We had so much fun, my husband and I wanted to walk the beach but we haven't checked in yet. The bartender over heard us talkin about checkin in the room, she had made a phone call and got us check in to the room before 3pm (the check in time). She was excellent, good customers service, friendly.....when we checked into the rooms, we were not very happy. The room was disgusting, hairs all over the place, sheets were wet and had stains all over it. Phone in the room is not working so My husband had to walk to the frontdesk. The man told my husband that he couldn't do anything. We were livid. We went back to the bar and told the bartender what had happened and she actually took the time to help us. She got the housekeeper that was walkin by the bar to clean our room for us. She gave us the beach towels so we could go for a walk. She told us to not worry about it and that she will take care of it. So we trusted her and went for our walk. When we came back from our long walk on the beach, the bartender told us that the room is ready for us. She was right, she actually had the room nice and cleaned for us with fresh sheets on the bed. My husband went back to the bar to tip her for helping us out. (But she was off the clock, didn't realized she had stayed until we got back from our walk) We know it wasn't her job but she went above and beyond to make our stay an enjoyable one. Recently we went back to visit her and they told us she hasn't been working there since November. Service wasn't good at all. We were ignored by the bartenders. They were focussing on the regulars more than they did with few of us. We met a couple there that afternoon and they said the same. They only came back to this hotel bc of the nice sweet bartender. I want to say her name is Marissa? The asian girl. I wouldn't stay here again. Does anyone know where she went to? If she is still in the local area? We would love to see her again.

• Stayed April 2011
arlington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Ok, we stayed here a few years back, and still tell the story: Arrived, bedroom was filthy, I wouldn't dare step in the showere, bugs roamed the sink. The 'beach' was filled with broken glass. Here's the topper: In the middle of the night there was arguing, then eventually a bunch of police showed up and 'took someone away'. OMG! In reading this, I see they're still in business! They truly should be shut down if it's still continuing. The one and only thing: the bar served a good drink. We stayed one nt (without sleep) then drove down to Boca Raton and stayed in a beautiful Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed here for the price and the pictures on the website do not tell the story! The room was very outdated, furniture breaking, walls crumbling (and i am not kidding). Location is great. If all you are planning to do is sleep then it is good (no bugs). pool is small, food is poor to average, bar service is good. The whole hotel needs to be renovated.

Room Tip: good price if your not looking for luxury
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!