“Ok” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
New York City, New York
“Ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ok property a bit aged, great location . Checked in saturday night ate at the bar had a great martini entertainment was fun good piano player. sadly I was informed there would be no dinner service sun through tuesday but carlos at the bar was extremly helpful with local recommendations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here for a girls' weekend. When I booked my hotel online, I was given a decent rate. Upon checkout, the rate was nearly $100 higher per night. I was told there was nothing the front desk staff could do and they wrote a message for the manager to call me the following day. I never heard back from the manager and even left 2 further messages and never heard anything back.

The rooms are small and definitely on the bathrooms seem a little old. However, everything was nice and clean.

The clientele is on the older side, at 40 myself, I felt like the youngest person there by several years.

The pool is tiny with only a few lounge chairs (10-12). And by 10:30 in the morning, they were all taken. The beach is a block away, but beautiful. Worth Avenue is around the corner with great shopping and restaurants.

The front desk staff were not particularly friendly nor were they very helpful. I needed to pick up a prescription at a nearby pharmacy and the front desk was unable to help me except to give me a number to a pharmacy no longer in business. The doormen were much more friendly and helpful. They were very helpful with recommendations. There is a house car and the doormen were very helpful arranging transportation for us.

All in all, this was a disappointing hotel with really poor front desk staff and we opted to leave after 2 nights, and moved to The Breakers.

Room Tip: The rooms are not quiet from the hallway. Make sure to ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Karen K, Guest Relations Manager at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay.It's true the rooms are small as is the pool area but the hotel was built in 1947 and retains the same ambience. At the Colony we pride ourselves in customer service so I was quite surprised by your account of the unfriendliness of the staff. Next time you visit ask for a corner room. (they're much larger)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Colony Hotel is located on the ocean block, just steps away from one of the most spectacular beaches and also around the corner from the glamorous Worth Avenue. And so, this hotel's location is superb! However, the guest experience is not so grand for such an architecturally charming boutique hotel. My wife, two teenage daughters and I found our most recent stay miserable and disappointing mainly due to the lack of hospitality. I do not believe it is the fault of the employees, but rather the result of poor management. We were never greeted with a smile or a friendly "welcome back", as we have stayed at The Colony before. When we returned from the beach one late afternoon, we found that all the gates and access to the hotel's pool were locked. We were told it was because the hotel had a cover charge for the evening's entertainment and did not want guests coming and going without paying the fee. But, we were wet and sandy, hoping only for access to the outdoor shower by the pool to rinse off before returning to our rooms. We asked the valet if he had a key to the gate to allow us access, but he did not (nor did he offer to find someone who did). We then asked if there was at least a hose or spigot to wash off our feet. He offered us a garden hose in front of the hotel's entrance, which we used as the parade of luxury cars and bejeweled hotel guests passed by. We had no choice but to traipse through the main lobby dripping wet! On another occasion during our stay, we were met with a similarly frustrating situation and an attitude of indifference. We were seeking assistance with our luggage, waiting for the bellman. We asked the woman at the concierge desk whether she knew of his whereabouts, to which she replied "he's around" and returned to reading her magazine (or whatever she was thumbing through). Had there been an ethos of hospitality and striving to make guests happy, she would have offered to locate the bellman or point us in the right direction to find him ourselves. And lastly, I understand dress codes and I know that in Palm Beach style and fashion are important (I grew up in Palm Beach and owned a home on the island until recently). But, I do not enjoy being "judged" and scanned up and down by the restaurant hostess/host. My fashion style is clean and simple, without adornments. I am sorry it is not suitable for poolside dining. To the management: please being this hotel back to life and establish a philosophy of hospitality, friendliness and appreciation amongst your staff so that future guests will have a more pleasant experience that I have had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.
I want to apologize for the hotel and its team for any problems during your stay. For the safety of our guests the gates are locked at night. As you may know, Friday is a very popular night here and it is important to keep everything under control. I'm sorry you weren't able to use the shower near the pool. There is always a key available to open the gate and I will make sure the valets are all informed of this.
As for the dress code, it is always "Palm Beach Casual". Jackets are not required but pants and collared shirts are.
I hope the next time you visit you will experience our hospitality, friendliness and appreciation.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This quaint hotel is situated a couple blocks from the pristine sands of West Palm Beach. The front desk staff was very polite during the check in process. The rooms were small, but comfortable. Breakfast was included with the room and was served outside next to the pool. The food was very good and the service was acceptable. The staff did offer us some beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for our walk to the beach, which was very nice. The pros to this hotel are definitely in the price, location and comfort of the bed. Unfortunately, there are very few amenities that the hotel offers. They do not have an ice machine, so in order to gather ice you have to go down to the bar and ask for a bag. For a quick trip to West Palm Beach, this was a quiet, inexpensive place to stay with easy beach access. We would visit again if we ever find ourselves in West Palm Beach again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your comments. Next time just dial 0 and they will promptly send ice up to your room.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

There was 4 of us staying the hotel, myself and my husband and another couple, we had no access to any refreshments at all during our stay, they closed the bar and stopped room service and there was no drinks soft or otherwise in the hotel. The hotel is beautiful but we didn't really get to experience it because we had to leave the hotel to eat and drink despite the hotel telling us these services would be available when checking in. To be honest the whole experience was quite bizzare, it wasn't really a hotel stay at all, certainly not what you would expect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We decided to close our restaurant on Sunday night to Tuesday night due to the slow economy. We have many fine restaurants in Palm Beach that are within walking distance. I hope you got to experience some of them. Next year we are optimistic and hope to have everything open.
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Our loyalty is over. We were married here 20 years ago, and it was wonderful then. Since then, it has declined to the point that it is a disgrace. There is no hospitality, no concern for guests. You feel as though everyone is judging you. There is nothing casual about the hotel anymore. Very difficult to relax and let loose here.

• Stayed May 2013
I'm sorry you feel that your loyalty is over. If you could be more specific I may be able to help you. We don't want any of our loyal guests to feel that we are not concerned about them. If you'd like to contact me I will be happy to discuss this with you.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

we arrived very early on may 9 after a redeye, and no one was available to take our car and luggage until we went in and talked to the front desk. even before i made it in the door, a cranky-seeming woman stopped and asked why we were there, and we answered "to check in." she responded "this early?" and looked like we were really inconveniencing her. yes we know it's a strange time to arrive, and that technically check-in wasn't until 4, but people who work at hotels tend to be trained to WELCOME travelers, not make them want to sleep in the car.

after that, she could not find our online reservation, which we had made through booking.com. i understand sometimes software glitches occur, but the appropriate response would have been to hand us our keys and say it would be taken care of when a manager arrived. instead, two women looked at us suspiciously and repeatedly asked if we were sure we were at the right hotel. we assured them that we had printouts and confirmations of our itinerary, and even showed them the address on the phone. after finally getting keys out of them, they told us that breakfast was included for the following day. one of the women yelled after us as we rolled our bags to the elevator 'BUT NOT TODAY." my friend, at her wits' end, said "i understand how breakfast works."

rooms were fine, clean, blackout shades were great and we slept well. location is FANTASTIC. breakfast was not bad. but they really need to train their people better. the young man at the desk during the day was lovely. maybe he could be made more useful.

we didn't stay at the breakers because reading about the colony hotel online made us wistful for the charm and history of a smaller place. however, it seems as though its best days are behind it. whether it was because we are two young(ish) women, and not aristocratic blondes in pink pantsuits, i have never felt so unwelcome at a hotel, and have no idea why we were treated like gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe. maybe everyone is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
I'm sorry for your check in experience at such an early hour. Our Bell Staff comes on at 7:00AM. I'm sure all you wanted was to get into your room. The Colony is a charming, small hotel with lots of history. Hopefully our best days lie ahead and you will be part of them.

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!