“Good Value Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 hotels in Palm Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Value Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This quaint hotel is situated a couple blocks from the pristine sands of West Palm Beach. The front desk staff was very polite during the check in process. The rooms were small, but comfortable. Breakfast was included with the room and was served outside next to the pool. The food was very good and the service was acceptable. The staff did offer us some beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for our walk to the beach, which was very nice. The pros to this hotel are definitely in the price, location and comfort of the bed. Unfortunately, there are very few amenities that the hotel offers. They do not have an ice machine, so in order to gather ice you have to go down to the bar and ask for a bag. For a quick trip to West Palm Beach, this was a quiet, inexpensive place to stay with easy beach access. We would visit again if we ever find ourselves in West Palm Beach again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Karen K, Guest Relations Manager at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks for your comments. Next time just dial 0 and they will promptly send ice up to your room.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

There was 4 of us staying the hotel, myself and my husband and another couple, we had no access to any refreshments at all during our stay, they closed the bar and stopped room service and there was no drinks soft or otherwise in the hotel. The hotel is beautiful but we didn't really get to experience it because we had to leave the hotel to eat and drink despite the hotel telling us these services would be available when checking in. To be honest the whole experience was quite bizzare, it wasn't really a hotel stay at all, certainly not what you would expect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We decided to close our restaurant on Sunday night to Tuesday night due to the slow economy. We have many fine restaurants in Palm Beach that are within walking distance. I hope you got to experience some of them. Next year we are optimistic and hope to have everything open.
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Our loyalty is over. We were married here 20 years ago, and it was wonderful then. Since then, it has declined to the point that it is a disgrace. There is no hospitality, no concern for guests. You feel as though everyone is judging you. There is nothing casual about the hotel anymore. Very difficult to relax and let loose here.

• Stayed May 2013
I'm sorry you feel that your loyalty is over. If you could be more specific I may be able to help you. We don't want any of our loyal guests to feel that we are not concerned about them. If you'd like to contact me I will be happy to discuss this with you.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

we arrived very early on may 9 after a redeye, and no one was available to take our car and luggage until we went in and talked to the front desk. even before i made it in the door, a cranky-seeming woman stopped and asked why we were there, and we answered "to check in." she responded "this early?" and looked like we were really inconveniencing her. yes we know it's a strange time to arrive, and that technically check-in wasn't until 4, but people who work at hotels tend to be trained to WELCOME travelers, not make them want to sleep in the car.

after that, she could not find our online reservation, which we had made through booking.com. i understand sometimes software glitches occur, but the appropriate response would have been to hand us our keys and say it would be taken care of when a manager arrived. instead, two women looked at us suspiciously and repeatedly asked if we were sure we were at the right hotel. we assured them that we had printouts and confirmations of our itinerary, and even showed them the address on the phone. after finally getting keys out of them, they told us that breakfast was included for the following day. one of the women yelled after us as we rolled our bags to the elevator 'BUT NOT TODAY." my friend, at her wits' end, said "i understand how breakfast works."

rooms were fine, clean, blackout shades were great and we slept well. location is FANTASTIC. breakfast was not bad. but they really need to train their people better. the young man at the desk during the day was lovely. maybe he could be made more useful.

we didn't stay at the breakers because reading about the colony hotel online made us wistful for the charm and history of a smaller place. however, it seems as though its best days are behind it. whether it was because we are two young(ish) women, and not aristocratic blondes in pink pantsuits, i have never felt so unwelcome at a hotel, and have no idea why we were treated like gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe. maybe everyone is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
I'm sorry for your check in experience at such an early hour. Our Bell Staff comes on at 7:00AM. I'm sure all you wanted was to get into your room. The Colony is a charming, small hotel with lots of history. Hopefully our best days lie ahead and you will be part of them.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I love the Colony! I have stayed here many times and always love this place. It has a great location; a block from the beach and a block from the Worth Avenue shopping and restaurants. Our room rate included a full breakfast which was served outside by the pool - lovely. The pool area is smallish but very comfortable - good lounge chairs, ample towels, and good drink service. They also provide towels to take to the beach.

This is an older hotel and the rooms are on the small side, but they are spotlessly clean with comfy beds and nice toiletries. My husband, two teens, and I shared a two room suite. Not huge, but large enough and had two bathrooms which was great. The people staying here are an older crowd. There are not a lot of children, and I don't think it would be a great place if you had very active young children. It was fine for teens, though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jupiter, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I love this little place for their outside dining. If you are looking for upscale treatment and classy large rooms this is not for you. Its an old hotel which most people know about and love., if its your first time, don't expect too much and you will not be disappointed. The lounge is great the food and pool are a delight. I have my birthdays here. I love it. The rooms are not for me. But you never know who is in town that is staying here, some people do not care, The saying goes.."You always want to be in walking distance to the Colony" so when you are eating at Taboo, Bice and Renato's and want to stroll home its the best place in town. No car needed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
North Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this property. This was our first stay in this hotel. Check-in was somewhat unimpressive and actually on the cold side, not a warm and friendly welcome. (We actually received a friendlier welcome from the bellboy than from the front desk personnel). The room assigned to us although cozy was quite small so beware. The hotel has no balconies so it might make some guests feel a little “claustrophobic”.
The pool area is small and has only a few sun loungers that are usually taken at the first ray of the sun in the morning and will stay like that till the end of the day. The hotel is right next to Worth Avenue, so it’s ideal for those high end shoppers! It also a block away from the ocean and the hotel will make arrangements for you if you want to spend the day at the beach.
Evening time is entertainment time at the hotel especially on weekends. The hotel is famous for their Royal Cabaret which brings great singers to perform with a live band. The performers are well known crooners who keep the American Songbook well and alive. You can either come in for dinner prior the show or come after dinner for the show only, and it’s really worth doing the show. After that the hotel offers a Motown evening on Fridays which brings alive the music of the Motown era by a live group, and on Saturday evenings they have a live band that has a great singer and is more diverse with the music they play. There is an area for dancing which is on the small side and gets really crowded, but its fun!
The most striking and disconcerting factor for this property is the service. I did not meet anyone in particular that impressed me with their customer service. They were politely “cold” but honestly not friendly. The bartender at the poolside bar had terrible customer service skills. Don’t know if the administration gives them the empowerment to do what it takes to satisfy the customer but not as friendly or attentive as they should be. Food is not bad but not great either, especially for the prices they charge. Check out was as cold as the check-in. Had issues with the folio at the end but charges were fixed without much of a trouble, errors do happen and this one was corrected quickly.
Bottom line question: would I return to this property? My answer is maybe, based on this experience not too sure if I would, considering the alternatives available within the area (Breakers, Brazilian Court, Chesterfield). Like I have stated in my previous reviews I am a firm believer of the saying “there is never a second chance for a first impression” and this first impression was OK,neither good or great. I would definitely go back for the entertainment, but I would have to reconsider when it comes to staying or dining. For being a boutique hotel as they claim they are, for me they totally miss the point. The potential is there but it needs the effort to make it happen!

Room Tip: Rooms are on the quite small size