“South Tower rooms are great!” 4 of 5 stars

The Cove on Ormond Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 South Atlantic Ave., Ormond Beach, FL 32176   |
Ranked #15 of 28 hotels in Ormond Beach
Batesville, IN, United States
“South Tower rooms are great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I own a timeshare at a sister resort, and traded into The Cove for 11 nights for a working vacation. The South Tower is much nicer, newer, and more comfortable than the North Tower - well worth the difference in points/price. This is one of the few places I've stayed where the bed was truly comfortable for me - I usually wind up getting an air mattress to survive traveling, but that was not needed here. The one bedroom unit has a king size bed, and there is a washer/dryer in the unit. I only have two complaints: the pool situation was not good (outdoor too cold, indoor kind of scary); and when my internet access suddenly quit working, it took 2 calls to the front desk, a call to the service provider, and another call to the front desk (over a 24 hour period) to discover that the problem was that my access code was only good for 7 days. Seems like that should have only taken one call to figure out. ;) I attend continuing ed every year in this area, so I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Views are great from the 5th floor; next time I'll ask for a south-facing room to have some sun...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
syracuse, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

we went to this resort with another couple who asked us along , they had a timeshare here .Jan 19 2013 until Jan 26 2013 .We stayed in the south tower. Rooms were nice and quiet. We had a 2 bedroom. it was equipped with a washer and dryer. The bed was comfortable. And I usually am uncomfortable,because of back problems.We had a nice view of the ocean. We were on the third floor. No ant problems no problems at all with our room. And the 2 other couples did not have any problems either. This is 100% non smoking building. I loved it, hubby not so much. But the north side tower you can smoke on the balcony.
The outside pool/lazy river ,well that was to cold for the kids to go in. It is to bad it could not be heated. I know they can not control mother nature and the weather. The inside pool well I wouldnt go in it at all ! it was heated of course , but really murky and cloudy. The clorine smell was there but the chemicals were way off . they really need to shock that pool and get it to look like water a person would like to swim in. If I had any kids with me I would not have let them swim in it. The beach well that was awesome! great sunrise's and we had many walks on the beach. Our first night on the beach we seen a beached whale. He did not survive, but what a sight to see. And you could drive on the beach too if you wanted. And the ice cream truck even came along on the nice days. Now how many can say they had an ice cream from the ice cream man on the beach ! love, love the location of this resort, the weather could have been better, but hey whenn dealt lemons , you make lemonade.. right

Room Tip: southside tower is 100 % non smoking. I like it hubby not so much. North side tower you can smoke on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights while in town for a soccer tournament. Booked a 2 bedroom/2bath room in the South Tower. Rooms are nice with a balcony with a side view of the ocean. Small kitchen with everything you would need for a vacation rental. Kitchen and 2nd bath had an ant problem. Ants were crawling on counters and were on the floor. Bought some ant baits and that helped keep them off the counters. Master Bathroom floor was dirty and was covered with hair. Shower also had hair in it as well. The place would be nice if they were cleaner and ant free. Each bathroom had a spa/tub. Nice looking pool at the resort but it was too cold and windy to swim. There are not many 3+ star hotels available in Ormond,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Quito
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Myself and my family (3 adults one child) stayed here for the christmas holliday on the 22 December 2012.
The stay was an exchange from Interval. First of all the North tower is the oldest one, but the registration is on this tower.
First room they gave us was beside the washing machines, which by the way, and if you haven't figure out yet, are outside the room and you have to pay quarterts in order to use them. This was totally different from the "resort" we were offered at the exchange.
Second room the gave us had a really musky odor by the kitchen, the doors were sticky, like you have to push really hard to open them.
There was a broken glass on which my wife cut her finger while trying to wash it. Had to go to a care center on th 25th!. The matress of the sofa bed was so thin I can hardly sleep on that thing.
Wireless Internet access was of course available with a fee. Ihop is crossing the street, so is your best bet if you want to get online and also have a decent breakfast.
You may wonder, what about the second, south tower, which is the new one. Well aparently there were no rooms by that time and they were so "helpful" by saying that moving us from the first near-the-washing machines room to the other room was the best they can do.
We finally check out of this hotel by the 26th and returned to Orlando to a Holliday Inn Resort which was worth the extra money.
I think that if you're exchanging a resort week, well, you would want a "resort" type room. Any hotel nearby would be same quality as this one.
I'll definitely not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: South tower rooms seems newer. Be sure, if you really need to go this place to ask the south tower.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Port Orange
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very friendly check-in to the nicely appointed rooms, it was a very pleasant stay. The kids thought the huge slide and the pool were great. When it turned cold and windy one day, we went inside to the heated pool. Only disappointment was the invitation to free breakfast and hot dogs at lunchtime by the consierge, and to stop by the desk for information on other activities, but everytime we stopped there was never anyone there, then when we went down for the food we were told there was a charge since we didn't go to review apt. (timeshare). I said I hadn't been asked to go, and I was told there were no more apts available for the last three days we were there. Very misleading. Also no one at the front desk many times, and no one answered the phone when we called. DH finally used our cellphone and called and they answered. Good thing it was just for general information.

Room Tip: ocean view room are cheaper and better view, in my opinion, because they are looking down the beach...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went with family for a few days just to get away. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area and places to visit. The room was a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo. The only complaint which was really was more of a minor distraction was someone on the floor above us sounded as if they were moving the dining table constantly. It's a great place to stay, relax and unwind.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed for a week as an exchange on our timeshare. We were in a one bedroom in the North tower. Since I knew there weren't laundry facilities in the unit, I brought enough clothes so it didn't matter. We found the staff very accommodating and friendly. We had bikes with us and they had no problem with us taking them up the elevator to our room to be safe. They also had no problem with us taking them out through the pool area to the beach. We were always careful to wash the sand off the tires and bikes before we returned to the hotel.
Our room was freshly painted and very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The sofa and chair were somewhat worn but I find this is often true in time shares.
Although they advertise they offer concierge services, I found the people at the desk not very knowledgeable about what was going on in town. This is the Christmas season and there were special activities that I located easily on the Internet. The staff didn't know anything about them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cove on Ormond Beach? Share your experiences!