“Its All About The Pool” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
New Jersey
“Its All About The Pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

We stayed in Sept but I just had some free time to write in.

Ocean: Good for boogie-boarding, lots of waves kind of rough, my kids went in but the water was dingy brownish-gray (yuk)

Room: 1 bedroom in north tower, basic, had everything you need to cook, micro, oven, toaster, stove 4 burners, decent size fridge etc.

Check-in: No smiles, just check in and get on with it seems to be their attitude. We didnt care....just give us our room keys!

Towels: No problem ever for 8 days, if you have dirty pool towels bring them in and just exchange them. No hassle

Activities: Nothing worth writing...very mellow.

Food: The activity lady set up a bar-b a few days by pool, hot dogs one day pizza another, a buck or so. She had soda and chips.

Car: Youwill need one. Any supermarkets, shops, good restaurants cant be walked to except an IHOP and a fabulous Rest I think called Stone Tavern but you wont want to eat there everyday.

Pool: Oh my goodness! Heated, free-form shape, zero degree entry, lazy river all in one and the tube slide----AMAZING!!! My kids LOVED IT....so did my husband and I.

Thats it. We relaxed, got tan, enjoyed the pool, took long walks on the beach and sought out nice restaurants for the evening. Have fun. Email me w/questions

• Liked — The Heated Pool
  • Disliked — The Ocean and Rust Colored sand!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

My husband and I checked in at The Cove on Ormond Beach on January 22 for 4 nights. I had reserved a 1-bedroom condo for $80.10 per night. Most of the hotels were more expensive than that, and you had less room than in a condo. William at the front desk was nice, and friendly. I had requested a high floor and we were put on 3 (7 floors) and I had requested ocean front and we were given an ocean view, so I was disappointed that neither of my requests were granted. We have stayed before at the Desert Inn and Comfort Inn and always have had a direct oceanfront view, but at The Cove we had a side view. We could still see the ocean, but the view included the pool area as well. And we could hear the traffic from the road in front of the condo since we were on the side.

We were in #308 and were very pleased with the cleanliness and decor of the condo. We had a living room with sleeper sofa, full kitchen with dishwasher, bedroom with queen size bed, and bathroom. There was a balcony in the living room and one in the bedroom as well. We had plenty of towels for the two of us and never had to exchange for clean ones.

They offered wireless internet service for $5.99 per day which I thought was a rip off since it is usually free in hotels. We did not pay for it. Downstairs in the owner's lounge they did have one computer with internet service, so we used that daily to check our e-mail but the keyboard's space bar was very sticky so it made it less-than-fun to answer our e-mails.

As I said, the condo itself was extremely clean. The downstairs owner's lounge, game area, and lobby were clean as well. The only thing that really needed cleaning, or better yet replacing, was the carpet in the hallway. It was very, very dirty and even threadbare in some places. But, they were in the process of renovating while we were there so maybe they are planning to replace it soon.

As far as the renovations, there was a lot of noise from the workers during the day so if you wanted to take an afternoon nap it was impossible. Even just sitting on the balcony and wanting to read a book hearing the noise was annoying. I understand that upkeep/renovations need to be done, but it is still annoying when it has to be done when you're on vacation trying to relax. And speaking of noise, during the day you could hear people talking in the hall and doors slamming. You could hear other people's showers and toilets flushing. It seemed like there was no soundproofing at all in the walls. At night I slept with ear plugs, otherwise noise then might have been a problem.

The pool area was very nice, and we saw someone cleaning and checking chemical levels often. There were plenty of lounge chairs.

There was an information and rules book on the coffee table and we read those over the first day. Nothing out of the ordinary. Some reviews have said there are too many rules but we didn't feel that way. There need to be rules or some people will destroy things. If you just use your common sense there won't be any problems.

The only thing in the rules book that wasn't true was it said coffee, soap, paper towels, etc. were provided and if you needed more, just ask at the front desk. As there was only one packet of coffee for one morning, and we were staying 4 days, we stopped at the front desk to ask for more and the girl (I didn't see her name, she was young with long blond hair) said no. I told her what it said in the book, about asking for more, and she just said no, she couldn't give us more. She said there was a grocery store across the street. If they aren't going to be willing to provide more, they need to cross that out in their book so people don't expect to be able to get more.

They do provide dishwasher soap, dish liquid, a roll of paper towels, several rolls of toilet tissue, several boxes of kleenex, and several bars of bath soap and we didn't run out of any of those.

They also provide a broom/dustpan, mop, and vacuum that are located in the closet in the bathroom.

There were TV's and DVD players in both the living room and the bedroom.

Check-out was at 10:00 a.m. They asked that we strip the bed, and I piled all the towels in the bathroom. They also ask you to make sure all the dishes are clean and put away, or at least run the dishwasher before you leave. And they ask that you take your trash to the receptacle at the end of the hall. There was no free daily maid service, but you could pay for it if you wanted it. With just the two of us, we really had no need for daily service.

There was a guest laundry at the end of our hallway but we never used it. Nice that it is there though.

For the most part we enjoyed our stay at The Cove, with just a few small gripes and annoyances. We would check into staying there again on another visit, but only if they could guarantee us an oceanfront condo, instead of just oceanview. There are too many other oceanfront hotels/condos to choose from that will give you what you ask for. And I wouldn't want to stay if they were in the process of renovating.

• Liked — Room to stretch out for the same or less money than a hotel room
  • Disliked — The noise from the renovations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Cove on our first night in Florida in August of 2007.

The check in was quick and painless and everything seemed to be going smoothly. At the time we were both smokers and we weren't told ahead of time that the whole place is smoke-free and you will be charged a hefty fine if you are even seen smoking on the balcony.

We also had been told we were going to have a room overlooking the ocean and when we got there it was on the side of the building. When we asked if we could switch their excuse was that you could "technically" see the ocean from our room.

After we checked in we decided to go down to the beach and relax. So we went to the front desk and asked if we could get some towels. The front desk person told us "they didn't have any towels" then started helping the people behind us. Then we asked what was that huge rack of towels for over to the left. His response was "those towels are for the beach". So we told him we were going down to the beach could we please have a towel or 2. After many times of asking he finally gave in and gave us 2 towels.

Now it wasn't like they were short on towels or something there were probably 50 clean towels sitting there.

Other than that the room was nice, It had a kitchen and a washer and dryer which was nice. Everything in the room was really clean and stocked. Parking is very limited and if you stay out late and come back and there are no parking spots then you have to park across the street and pay to park. We decided to come back early not wanting to pay for parking.

When we left there were alot of extra charges on our bill such as phone calls we didn't make and a bill to have the room cleaned since they said it smelled like smoke. Now granted we were both smokers at the time but we made sure not to smoke in the room because we didn't want to have to pay the fine for it. We disputed it with our credit card and then after The Cove couldn't prove it they dropped it.

• Liked — how close it was to the beach
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Laguna Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

The room was ok . Condos are on a narrow section of beach. The pool is ok. Not a hotel - all timeshare condos. I'd call it a 2 star. Front desk staff made you feel like checking in or any requests were an imposition on them.

Both buildings are non-smoking which is great. We were there for a family reunion and spent a lot of time at the grandparents house with a lot of smokers.

A couple weeks after we left we got our credit card bill and there was an extra charge for $175 from the Cove on it. We called and they said their "inspector" smelled smoke in the room after we checked out. Since we're reformed smokers, the only thing I could figure was, being around a large group of smokers the entire visit, we brought the smell into the room with us on our clothes, etc.

They refused to remove the charge so we disputed it with our credit card company and they immediately dropped it since the Cove couldn't show that we smoked in the room. Just some extra aggravation we didn't need from an almost average timeshare.

One last comment, if a hotel tries to throw on a "cleaning charge" for smoking, if they can't prove it you can fight it and win.

Stayed June 2007
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

My family and I were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful rooms. We are a family of five and we had more than enough room to relax and enjoy ourselves. The inside heated pool was a big hit with all of us and the staff was very friendly. We look forward to our next stay at The Cove.

Stayed November 2007
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

My husband & I stayed for a week for our Babymoon vacation. We had a terrific time here. The beach was beautiful, the employees very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean with a fantastic view. We were a little nervous after reading other people's bad experiences, however our trip was nothing but fun and relaxing. We would definately recommend this resort to friends and would definately stay here again!

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed there for 10 nights just after Labor Day. There were mostly families with under-school age kids which is about the only draw back. But the pool area is DESIGNED for kids...very shallow and lottsa fun for the little ones. And the slide had kids of all ages enjoying it. (including my husband who sprained his wrist after being tossed off his intertube somewhere in the tunnel---you go pretty fast on that slide!) The room was very clean and well stocked with just about anything you needed. We were lucky to have an end unit closest to the ocean which offers 2 additional windows in the livingroom overlooking the pool/ocean area. Even though it had a fully equipped kitchen (again great for families who don't want to go out to eat every meal) I did miss having a restaurant for a quick meal and missed having a pool bar/tiki bar or a lounge. (Though they had a room with a nice leather sofa, huge TV, internet and bar-area, you had furnish your own supplies.) We did get messages on the phone daily asking us to visit their sister property down the road and to check out guest services for "free" stuff---timeshares. But you know that it IS a condo going in. Tho we chose to not buy maid services, I think a partial cleaning is $25 and a full is $50, but don't quote me, they do provide a mop and vac incase you want to tidy-up. We had no trouble asking for extra toilet paper, bath towels, or another packet of Tide. I didn't go to the front desk at all other than check in and check out. (check in, by the way, we arrived at 12:30 and were given room keys right then and there---normal check in is 4 pm.) There is an Activities Director, Vivian, who has little projects/classes and who also can answer any questions about places to eat, river cruises to take etc. Certain days she has "lunch" by the pool from noon till 2-ish. One day was a hot dog, bag of chips and a soda for $1. Another was pizza. Overall we had a nice time but I would probably not go back. I'm more an all inclusive person, or at least don't want to cook or clean on my vacation. I like the convienice of having a restrauant/bar downstairs and a pool to actually SWIM in, not just float.

• Liked — view from the livingroom
  • Disliked — had to cook yourself or drive to eat somwhere nice
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Cove on Ormond Beach? Share your experiences!