“Nice place, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Nice place, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We used the Makai as our escape from central Florida for 2 or 3 years, but though there was some sporadic maintenance, the physical property continued to decline. The pools stayed in great shape, but the elevator and rooms seemed to grow older. We have loved the staff and service at the Makai, but for the money we could stay at better maintained motels.

Room Tip: We always liked to be up higher, away from the pool noise. The views are awesome and the balconies a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Crystal River, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went here for a weekend girls trip. It was an "okay" experience but I definitely will not go back. Parking lot is very small and hard to maneuver. Parking spots were TINY. I have a Ford Explorer and could barely get between 2 cars. Being right on the beach was excellent! That was probably the best part. Pool area seemed nice so no complaints there. Just with the rooms. We got two rooms adjoined together by a galley kitchenette. There was one shelf in the refrigerator. The others were taken out (I assume they got broken). There were cracks in every wall (obvious structural issues). Chipped paint everywhere. As I was standing at the desk mirror getting make up on for a night out I noticed there was red stuff smeared all over the wall behind the tv. A closer look made me think it was actually blood. Not a ton of blood like a murder but enough to think someone cut their hand and grabbed the wall several times. Why wouldn't you paint over that?? Mold in the bathroom. The shower head was actually MISSING from our room. Called front desk, they were nice and brought one right up. But it wasn't an actual showerhead, it was a white plastic nozzle and they said that's all they had this short notice. Really? So showers sucked as there was no pressure and as big a round as a shoelace water fall. There was a cricket on our balcony (no fault of theirs of course) that was annoying as hell. But our friends in the other room had a cockroach on her headboard! That was unsettling. I was glad I was in the room with the cricket (O.o). SO to sum it up, hands down not a good experience. We paid a good amount of money to stay here and it was not up to par. The only reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because of the pool area and proximity to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The rooms are nice,awesome pool,great ocean view and easy beach access. The staff is very pleasant especially William and Steve. There are surf boards, boogie boards, shuffle board, beach chairs, beach umbrellas and floaties to sign out for free. Hot tub was pleasant to relax in. They could use some premium movie channels like HBO or Showtime but was a great stay all in all.

Dunnellon, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really liked the Makai. Our room had been refurbished not too long ago. There are signs of age and traffic, but hey it's a beach hotel. Great view from the room. Great pool area and we loved the beach music!

We had a small kitchenette that we had not even requested. Nice bonus. Again, it's a little tired, but just awsome to have. The beds were not the best, but I slept with no problem. There was a group partying down on the first floor. They were a little noisy, but wrapped it up a little after 10:30. Reasonable. I mean it is the beach, after all!

There are some nice grassy areas where we were able to walk our dog. Pet friendly. Another plus!

The place is definitely old, but they are doing a lot of rennovating and it shows. I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakford, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

On the plus side, the ocean view is great, the pool is clean, beach-themed music is piped in, the price is cheap and the employees are friendly and seem to be trying. The housekeeping staff does a great job, especially considering they don't have a lot to work with. The rooms are just okay....I've seen worse. As far as negatives, the outside of the hotel appears very shabby, with peeling paint, dirty hallways, just a general run-down overall appearance. Inside, a urine stained toilet seat that could have easily been replaced for $10 but somehow was looked at by management as not important. Granted, the motel probably dates from the mid-1950's, but that's no excuse. I've stayed in totally renovated 1950's motels (The Driftwood Lodge in Panama City Beach, for example) that look and feel almost new. When I first drove into the Makai parking lot, and then checked in, my first impression was "dump." After staying here a few days, I've changed my opinion somewhat, but it's depressing to realize how just a few changes that could have altered the presentation of this motel were ignored by the owners. There are so many other choices in Ormond and Daytona to have to deal with something as mediocre as this place. I get the impression the owners do the just the bare minimum as long as people stay here. When I checked out, I felt relief that it was over, and I'd never again see this nightmare.

Savannah, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is worn out. The elevator is small barely works. The price was alright for what we received. The beds aren't full queens they're quite small. Everything just looks dirty. The housekeepers were friendly we had trouble getting into our room multiple times since the keys never seemed to work. The front desk staff were short worded and rude. Just stay away, we saw plently of other hotels in the area for the same price that looked a lot better.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I wrote a fair review of this place. It is a great view, but it is still on the part of the beach that has traffic. I have tried to stay here many times...but have realized there are better places for the same money down a bit farther in Ormond By The Sea. They will tell you that "we are what we are"...so don't expect much. If you need a cheaper place to stay, that is why we used to stay here. But they have raised their rates and they have done some improvements as well. But you never know what you will have to deal with when you visit. Very loud. Not a place for rest and quiet. Go on down the beach where there is no driving on the sand and you will be much happier. Oh and the beds are horrible. Worn OUT.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Makai Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!