“The perfect way to ruin you vacation” 1 of 5 stars

Makai Beach Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   707 South Atlantic Ave, Ormond Beach, FL 32176   |
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Miami, Florida
“The perfect way to ruin you vacation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights 3 days, and all i can say is im glad it's over!!! We found dead and alive roaches. My bed waas full of bedbugs, i have bites all over my body. The rooms are dirty, nasty, and not taken care of. The location is not the best either...and don't even pay extra for "ocean view" it's not even worth it. the pictures that you see must be like a thousand years old. The place itself is horrible. Horrible presentation. There was not one good thing i can say about it. and for the record i want to make sure you know IT IS NOT A HOTEL, THIS IS A MOTEL.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Hudson Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pleasant staff. The customer service was great especially from the management. Loved the new pool and the new tiles. The hot tub was great. Restaurants within walking distance. Great view from our ocean front room. They have free beach amenities like boogie boards, beach chairs and floats for the kids.

Room Tip: Ask for newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fort Ann, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I really loved the rooms with the flat screen TV fairly new furniture, brand new tiles. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Steve was a big help when asked where we could go for a great meal and to have some fun with our daughter. I would recommend to all my friends to stay here they have a great pool/hot tub and on the ocean. There is shuffle boarding or you can take a boogy board or beach chairs/umbrella and other beach items for free from the office to enjoy yourself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

For starters we booked ocean front and were given the total opposite. We booked two rooms with kitchenettes and asked for adjoining. I called before we arrived to check on reservations. I was told we signed up for "city view" which was wrong. There was nothing they could do about it. I also mentioned the request or adjoining rooms. They said they would work on it. When we arrived we had almost no parking and our room was indeed facing the road. We did get an adjoining room. There was a kitchen. That is how the rooms adjoined. So we paid the fee for two kitchenette rooms but it's one shared kitchen. I would think one room would pay the higher fee if only one kitchen existed. Well a few hours later another couple unlocked our other room! We came in to the kitchen and expected to see our family, but no...only complete strangers! I called downstairs and the girl was completely rude and told me we should never had been given the rooms to begin with. So we signed up for ocean front kitchenettes with the adjoining requested and were given road side and then had strangers come in on us. We are lucky the strangers were nice! I cannot believe the attitude we received. When you make a reservation your reservation should be met and if it cannot be met then they should take that off the website as an option! The beach is beautiful and if you want to stay at this hotel please make sure to call them right after you make reservations so you don't end up with my same circumstances. The breakfast wasn't great. The rooms were gross. The floor made our feet turn black and the air conditioner filter was full of dust. The towels were very thin so you had to use multiple. There weren't enough of them. I will not go back to this place. And i recommend you do not waste your money either.

• Stayed April 2013
Fort Mill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for one night. very basic hotel but we had sea view and it was stunning. Others in our grouup only had views of the car park and were not impressed. AC was quiet but generally hotel was quite noisy with doors banging until very late. I would probably stay here again but only for a night or two as the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: I would only stay in a sea view it is what makes the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We checked in the parking was horrible. We got into our first room due to all the holes in the wall the ac unit wasn't even in the wall stains on the bed sheets we asked for a new room. They gave us a new room in that room there was dried pee on the toilet seat the sink was broken the shower wall was falling off and you can open then window from the inside and outside. So anyone could open the window I went down to complain and was told to come back in the morning. I booked a new hotel because I was not staying another night there. I wanted my money back for the second night. They tired to give me another room. I told them no I just want mine money after about 2 hours of fighting with them. They agreed to give me the second night back. This place and extremely dirty and the people are very rude.

• Stayed April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I arrived in Daytona Airport, greeted by Michelle, my cab driver. She took me to the resort. I checked in and was given a card key. I had booked an oceanfront with king bed. I entered the room and saw I had a separate kitchen. There was facilities to cook a whole meal or microwave for something quick. They also supplied cloths to wash and dry dishes plus washing up liquid.
The room with the bed was fine, tv, clock radio, bed settee. The patio doors were hard to push and I noticed a pole used to make sure the doors stayed closed. Makes you feel safer.
On the balcony I had 2 plastic chairs and a small table. The view was amazing!!!!!!!! Steps from the sea. There was towels for the beach, replaced daily.
The bed was fine but would have preferred my own pillow.
The wifi did not work too good in Room 325.
The next day I spoke to the owner who was very nice. He said change the room for better wifi, apparently the stairway blocked the signal.
The breakfast was fine, bagels or toast, preserves and butter. Juice and coffee. Porridge oats and yoghurts. Plus cereals and milk, well catered for. Free daily paper. IHOP up the road if needed.
The pool was very clean and pool chairs were comfortable. I was offered a rusty pool chair for the beach but decided not to.
I eventually moved to Room 509, in the Lodge next door. NIcer kitchen, open plan. Better wifi.
I took the trolley to Daytona Beach, cost $3 (have right money), lasted for 24 hours. Took 10 mins, visited an IHOP and took a walk along the beach. I expected more to be there. Only stayed for an hour and stopped at Belleair Plaza on the way back, shopped in Publix and Beales Outlet, also Dollar Store.
There is a store that sells sun lotion, towels and beach stuff opposite the resort. Restaurants in walking distance, Riptides, Olive Garden, Bonefish Grill and Charley Horse. I ate in most nights. Also a McDonalds near Belleair Plaza and a Walgreens. Turn right out of the resort and there is a Family Dollar store and Liquor store.
The staff went out of their way to help, kudos to front desk personnel.
I went to Aunt Catfish`s for dinner with a group of people I met at the resort, very nice dinner including salad buffet, would recommend the place.
The resort does need a little updating, the owner is aware and they all do what they can to make your stay pleasant.
Definetly go back.
Any questions please ask.

Room Tip: Oceanfront are the best
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Makai Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!