“Something good from the real estate bust” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Pay 6 Nights, Stay 7!
Ranked #23 of 28 hotels in Ormond Beach
Clearwater, Florida
“Something good from the real estate bust”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This motel and its next door sister were doomed for razing and "rehab" as a multi-story deluxe condo. Fortunately, the developer failed before the motel fell, but there was a rough stretch of no maintenance during bankruptcy and foreclosure. We stayed there about 10 years ago and were thrilled to see it still in operation. The new owners are hard at work, trying to address deferred maintenance and eventually improve the whole property. It's not perfect yet, and face it, it's old and on the salt water and sandy beach. So sparkling windows and sandless floors are just not possible. But our room was tidy and clean although it was still undergoing repair and renovation (caulking, patching, etc.) It was equipped with a full array of kitchen appliances (full fridge, microwave and 4-burner stove and oven), pots and pans and utensils -- even ceramic (not plastic) dishes. The rates are a real bargain for a beach-front property. Don't expect the Ritz but enjoy a vestige of "old" Florida.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Charles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

When I say it’s good to be back I mean it. For over 15 years my sister and I stayed here but, because of the change in owners and conditions of the room and pool, we had no choice but spend our last 3 vacations somewhere else. To say things were bad is being kind and having no air conditioner was the least of our problems then.

The good news is, because of its new owner and staff, the Driftwood is back and better than ever. Each room now has, to name just a few up-grades, tiled floors, new frig, new stove and a new air conditioner.

You can stay there without a worry and fully enjoy the view and easy access to the beach.

This year’s vacation was like going home again.

Good job Driftwood!

Room Tip: Try to get one facing the beach. It's wonderful to be able to open your window and smell and hea...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Astor, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights and were pleased with our experience! We were aware that they were re-modeling, and decided to stay anyway. The room wasn't 5 star, but knowing that they are working towards something better, we could see the strides they've made to upgrade, and we're excited to go back sometime soon to see what other improvements have been made.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I just stayed here recently and I would give it a 4.0 out 5. After reading all of the mixed reviews I was very iffy about staying here. After seeing how the management had responded to mostly all of the bad reviews, we decided to give it a chance and boy are we glad we did.

We generally stay closer to Ormond-by- the Sea, but, the Driftwood’s location was AMAZING. Within minutes we could be at the shops of Daytona and North Turn, (our favorite place for lunch) or we could be in Ormond and our favorite dinner spot Snack Jacks (High Tides). If it’s your first time to Florida you can find everything so easily and enjoy fantastic restaurants within a 10-15 mile radius, or play Putt-Putt, which is directly across the street.

The room we had was not as bad as the reviews claim, we had a Pool Side room, with a great Ocean View, which we very much enjoyed and within steps from being on the beach. The Staff, especially Kelly (the Manager) were extremely friendly. Housekeeping (Vernell) always made sure we had towels or whatever else we needed. Additionally, we were able to bring our puppy, which was very nice as well.

The only con to the whole place was the limited amount of parking, which is free. If you don’t go into it expecting the Ritz Carlton, I am sure you will enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I took my chances on this hotel as my original plans in Daytona Beach fell through at the last minute and rooms on the internet were scarce. There are many more hotels in Ormond that are not listed on the internet and most of them looked better than this place and posted less expensive prices. Don't fall for the pictures. This hotel was so bad that I didn't spend a minute longer in the hotel than necessary leaving my room in time for sunrise on a clean beach down the road and not returning until late evening. I'm sure a jail cell would have been better than this place. First, THE POOL IS DRAINED and therefore not usable, CIGARETTE BUTTS LITTER THE GROUNDS, THE ENTRYWAY TO THE BEACH IS BLOCKED with tools/equipment (how do they expect you to use the beach?), the beach in front of the hotel is filthy, EMPTY BEER BOXES litter the entryway to the hotel stairway. As an asthmatic, I asked for a smoke free room but SMOKING IS ALLOWED IN THE HALL so I had to walk through smokers to get to my room. What's the point?. When I checked in I asked about the free wi-fi and was told it was not working (I had to drive to McDonald's every day to use their wi-fi). The clerk told me the boss is "cheap". Bring your own coffee because, while there is a coffeemaker in the room, there is no coffee, creamer, sugar, cup or stirrer in the room nor is it available at the front desk. The window glass in my room was broken, the room safe did not work, the lock on the door to the balcony was rusted in the unlocked position and wouldn't lock. The balcony "furniture" was filthy, even after I cleaned it with my own Windex it still was nasty. The windows were filty and need a good cleaning but it would probably be easier to just replace the window glass; they are that dirty.. The beds and linens were clean but the sheets were not changed at all during my stay and the towels had holes in them. I found mold under the mat in the bathtub. The doors didn't seal properly so flyiing bugs shared my room with me. The grounds were terrible - unkept, outdoor furniture is disgusting and just NASTY. I tried to walk out to the beach the afternoon I arrived and couldn't get there for all the trash, tools/equipment and when I turned around to return to the hotel men were on their balconies gawking like perverts. Not a comfortable feeling. On a positive note, this hotel is 5 miles from Daytona where parking is plentiful (free 2 hour parking on Main Street) and the beach is beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Driftwood657, Manager at Driftwood Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
We sincerely regret your experience! We would have gladly refunded your money had you asked. We do not want anyone to stay here that does not want to be here. We have a great client base that are return guests. Many have been coming for as many as 30 years.

Yes, the pool was drained for 5 days in January. That is the time of year for pool repairs. Our rates reflected the pool being down. One of the beach accesses had a wheel-barrow in the walkway, which only required walking around it. Our other beach access was free from obstruction.

Unfortunately, many guests do toss their cigarette butts on the grounds. We walk the grounds daily picking them up. We also clean the trash off the public beach in front of our property daily. Littering is unfortunate.

Your point about having a non-smoking room on the same floor of smoking rooms is very valid. We are redesignating smoking and non-smoking rooms to correct this issue.

Keeping beach front windows clean is a constant battle. We clean them weekly. Winter is the most difficult of times. We can clean windows and then a winter storm blows in the same day, and it appears they are never cleaned.

Yes, our patio and pool furniture is being updated. Since your stay, we have installed new fabric on most of the pool loungers. We still have more outdoor furniture slated for replacement.

Unfortunately the property was previously taken back by the previous owners' bank.. The bank did not maintain the property. The new owners are diligently working to correct all issues.

We deeply regret your experience not being pleasant. We are working to upgrade the property and welcome constructive criticism. Our rates reflect the state of the hotel. We are updating the property and rooms continuously. In the meantime, we provide clean rooms, oceanfront for a fraction of other beachfront properties.

Our sincerest apologies to you and yours for your unhappy experience!
Duncan, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at the Driftwood many years ago and it is very different now. They have really cleaned it up a lot, new paint, new floor tile, etc. The internet is really good now, they just finished wiring everything new last night and it was like it used to be and then all of a sudden 5 bars and lightning fast. For me that was the best part. I can't wait to see the pool when it gets done.

Room Tip: Take a oceanfront with patio, well worth it to sit out there and watch the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel and had a great time. They have a new Manager and Owner and have replaced their maintance crew. Sorry for the loss of goods from other guests, but we stayed at a Hilton one time and one of our friends had their purse stolen.(it happens everywhere). We stayed in one of the bigger suites(2bedroom). Though they are still doing some remodling these rooms were clean and if we needed anything they accomodated our every need. The prices are reasonable and it is a medium to go anywhere north or south and, oh, did I mention they have a mini putt-putt right across the street. Our kids loved it. Daytona Lagoon(water park) and Ocean Walk just minutes away. We will defintely stay here again and again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Driftwood Beach Motel? Share your experiences!