“Excellent Week Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Maverick

Save Saved
You added The Maverick to your Saves list
The Maverick
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   485 South Atlantic Avenue, Ormond Beach, FL 32174   |
Pensacola, Florida
“Excellent Week Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Maverick is an older property but well maintained with a friendly staff. Our view of the Atlantic was great. Our studio unit had all we needed and was clean and comfortable. The a/c had to be turned quite low to dehumidify the room air. WiFi was available in the lobby and poolside only. There is a free lobby computer. Parking was plentiful. Many nearby restaurants. We will return to this property soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront with balconies.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I am a looooongtime timeshare owner at the Maverick Resort (10+ years). Our family visits once a year in July. I was amused to read all of the bad reviews, and have to say that they are all pretty exaggerated here and there on the part of the disappointed reviewers. The rooms ARE small, and VERY plain and basic. No frills, just FUNCTION. They are CLEAN, and I have never had a problem getting sheets or towels. This is perfect for our family. We need only a utilitarian place to sleep and shower and pack meals. There is a full size fridge, stove, coffee pot, plates, balcony, and bath. You provide the food, and this is a huge $$$ saver. The pool patio has several gas grills and tables, and we grill out a few nights. The tile floors DO get dirty. We always use our own beach towels, and there is a guest coin laundry on the premises if I need to do a load of laundry, so I always end up cleaning the floor with their towels, and there is also a broom in the room, which I don't mind doing. It's the beach! And that part of Florida tends to be sort of aging and vintage, but we like it that way. The point for us is to relax!!! No stress!!! I have NEVER smelled mold in all my years going there. The staff has always been friendly, and I have never had to complain, but then again, I don't expect a lot, either! We are there to visit florida, not the room. Our family spends most of our time OUT at the many Parks and Sanctuarys, or exploring the Light House and a little further, the Space Coast to the South. There is also a beach closet on the premises for owners, with bikes and beach chairs and kids boogie boards and toys. Is the stuff well used. SURE is. It's mostly donated by guests and it's always changing. The kids don't mind!!! Why should I? I make myself at home while there and don't mind the occasional snafu, nor do I pay much attention to the chipped paint and wear and tear on the place. You have to remember the name of the place IS The MAVERICK: One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter! I'm not very materialistic, so I don't mind the plain slate on which to paint my vacation... I'm a DO-er, not a Whiner!

If you need to be in posh surroundings, this ain't your place, but if you just want a place to crash and shower and pack picnics for your adventures, this is good enough!

Last year we saw a tornado/water-spout, from our balcony, move down the beach/water from north to south for twenty minutes! It was AWESOME!

Room Tip: Every room is pretty much the same...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

you see, hear and smell the ocean from your clean, comfortable bed!

Units were always clean and adequately equipped within a studio set up; if there is a minor deficiency, staff rectifies forthwith -
pros: heated pools, small restaurant at pool serving breakfast/lunch with tasty omlets to order - family / senior oriented quiet guests/owners -
cons: no reliable Wi-Fi reception in units !!!! - only in lobby, pool, restaurant & lounge -

Room Tip: come prepared and well stocked for your needs -
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Glendale, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

While not a posh resort, this place worked very well for our family. We had a studio unit for a family of four. It did get a little cramped, but we spent most of our time outside. Only used the unit for sleeping and getting ready. The mini kitchen was plenty for quick breakfast or lunch, we chose to eat out during the evenings. I wouldn't recommend a studio/mini kitchen if you plan to do a lot of cooking. Walls are a little thin as we could hear people next to us, but again didn't become a problem. All units are ocean view which is a huge plus. Pool and beaches were clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We stayed at The Maverick for the second time and was very pleased both times. The room was very clean, the staff was very friendly!! The pool was always clean.
I am not one to give complements unless it was exceptional service!! We were VERY pleased with our stay!!
We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Nothing good about the place!! Rooms tiny! BedBugs. Staff more than slow and sluggish. $15 for pool towels?? Are you kidding me?? Avoid this ripoff!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Aldie, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

This was my first trip to the Ormand Beach area. Our first room had a terrible moldy smell. We complained to the front desk and were transferred to a better room very quickly, but it still had a whiff of the moldy water smell. The rooms are small and dark but clean. The pool and beach were very nice. The staff was friendly. I would return if the price was right (under 50 bucks a night.) We went in February and it was unseasonably cold so we were in the room alot. If not for the experience of going into the first smelly room, and the fact were we're not on the beach as often as we liked, I might give it a higher rating. The Maverick is definately not the Ritz and if you are particular or expecting even the modernness of a Marriott Courtyard this is not it. Ormand Beach itself is somewhat past its prime. We visited St. Augustine which was lovely, I think if I was to stay in NE FL again that is where I would go.

I would say if you are in Ormand Beach for Daytona Races or during prime beach weather, The Maverick would be a good choice if you are getting an exceptionally low rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Maverick? Share your experiences!