“Favorite Place” 5 of 5 stars

867 South Atlantic Avenue, Ormond Beach, FL 32176   |
IN
“Favorite Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I have been staying at Ocean East for the past six years. We go the same week every year. The other people who stay that week have became like family...seriously, we stay with them through out the year and send Christmas cards. I think this resort is a diamond in the rough that people don't know about. The staff is great and the events they plan through the week of your stay our perfect, not too much but just enough! We already have everything for this years trip and I can't wait!!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Clinthimself
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

This place was ok, definitely not what we expected. When we arrived, the room had a really bad smell of mold. When we got to the balcony doors, we realized the ceiling in the far right corner of our efficiency beach front room was wet and falling apart (and flakes fell all week)! I figure this is where most of the smell was coming from, and it stuck all week. Apparently there was a mold problem in the hall too. The pool and hot tub were nice and clean. We were missing some of the utensils listed at check-in. Bed was very uncomfortable, and the furniture is made of some cheap foam, cardboard, and covered with a waterproof fabric that feels sticky. We were on the second floor, and our balcony hung over a beautiful pond with lots of goldfish, one HUGE koi fish, and 14 turtles (we counted). Location is awesome, beautiful view, just in need of some major upgrades. The restaurant downstairs (The Beach Bucket) had some cool employees. They also have cheap drinks on some days, and decent fried shrimp. Barnacles, outside in the front parking lot, has some nasty coconut shrimp, so don't get those!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We got this property through SkyAuction from someone selling off their unused week. We got an exceptional deal and couldn't have been more happy. The condo is very modern and clean, right on the beach with a lovely CLEAN pool and pool deck, nice chaise lounges ... security staff and all staff at hotel are very friendly.

No gym on site but great deal between property and Planet Fitness across the street.

We hope to return to this property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

This place is truly a hidden gem. The Ocean East Resort Club is a wonderful place. It is just steps from the Atlantic Ocean--right on the beach. All you need to do is walk out the back door by the pool, walk down the stairs, and you are there.

The rooms at this place are fine for me. Yes, they are a little dated, but do not let that stop you from the overall location of this resort. If you get an Ocean Front room-- even better, the views are breathtaking. I've stayed in both studio rooms and two bedrooms and both are great. People may be put off by the murphy beds in the studio rooms, but believe me-- they are not so bad. People make a big deal out of nothing. If you don't like the bed, you could always stay on the pull-out couch. Each room comes with a kitchen with all of the appliances and gadgets that one would need (you could cook each meal in the room everyday if you wanted to). Most rooms have balconies either facing the street, the ocean, or a little bit of both (if on the side of the building). Some rooms have only full glass, but the view makes up for it.

For those hungry while at the pool or looking for a nice breakfast, you can visit the restaurant on the property (The Beach Bucket). The food is ok and the prices aren't that bad. There is also a (lunch?) and dinner restaurant adjacent to the resort called Barnacles, which also isn't that bad. If you want to cook all week, there is a Publix Grocery Store located right down the street. There are other restaurants within walking distance of the resort including Olive Garden, McDonalds, and the Charlie Horse (which is a must when stopping in this area) among others.

The pool area is great. The pool is big, and there are plenty of tables and lounge chairs for sitting out in the sun. There is also a hot tub adjacent to the pool, although I've never been in it to share any experiences. DJ plays on Sundays. Other activities throughout the week. Just remember, no eating on the pool deck. It's just to avoid the pelican problem, which you would agree with when you see many of them flying overhead.

It's a great place that I would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed in one bedroom oceanfront unit #3024 for a week in February 2009. There are only a few of these oceanfront units. Be sure to try and get one, as they are much better choices. Beautiful wide Beach. Rooms small but adequate for a couples, and everything we needed was furnished. Great Base location for exploring the area. Anything you want is close by. Resort is an older timeshare catering to owners and guests. It is at the south end of Ormond Beach above Daytona Beach. Some rooms are updated, and some are being renovated. Friendly helpful Staff and servers, and a good small restaurant with outside deck dining on the ocean. We would stay there again if in the Daytona Area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

My in-laws have been going here for years and really enjoy themselves. When they offered up their time share this year to us... I jumped at the opportunity. I didn't know what to think after reading some of the reviews but hoped for the best. At the minimum clean sheets, clean room and good weather to get out on the beach. We had just that. My husband wasn't able to go so a couple of my girlfriends decided to come along and we just had a ball. The furniture was a bit outdated, but it was clean and represented the loud Florida style. The staff was friendly and helpful and I have to admit we used TripAdvisor often to find some excellent "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants (see my other reviews). The pool could use a fresh coat of paint, but the water was clean and smelled a bit bleachy which at home isn't my favorite, but when sharing with others I am totally fine with. We relaxed on the deck over looking the beach every evening and saw stars and galaxies. It was wonderful and we typically ended the evening with a soak in the hot tub. It was also clean and big enough for several to enjoy. Beach access was so convenient. You walked right out to the sand and ocean and you can walk for miles in either direction. The other people who were staying there were very courteous and seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. The pool area, halls, restaurant and lobby were all very neat and clean and everyone was very nice.

There were three in our party and we stayed in an efficiency which wasn't tiny, but it was closed quarters. I slept on the Murphy bed. It was firm and I slept just fine. The other gals slept on the sofa bed and were fine, too. My MIL told us to ask for another mattress if it was uncomfortable, but we managed to get a good nights sleep. I loved the fact the room had a vacuum for our use because the sand followed us in a few times. We loved having a full kitchen with a Publix right down the road.

One disappointment was the restaurant. The food was decent but the wait staff was terrible. We sat with empty drinks, asked for more and you would have thought I wanted her kidney. This happened twice and we decided we'd grab snacks, coffee and tea else where. It took a long time to even just come and get our orders. There was only one other table!! One girl's shorts were so short I was appalled and I am a pretty liberal person.

We have already put in a request to stay again in the event the time share is up for grabs. We had a great time & always felt safe. Cool places to check out are the Ponce de Leon Inlet and Lighthouse, the Daytona Beach Pier and Smyrna Dunes.

• Liked — Access to everything like the beach, restaurants, pool and entertainment.
  • Disliked — It was a bit outdated.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

This resort is in a wonderful location. The beach is fabulous. The resort has a simple, but nice beachfront restaurant. That is really all the good things that I can say about Ocean East. This resort is extremely dated and in need of some serious updates. Everything from the obnoxiously upholstered furniture (take a look at the pictures, you'll see what I mean) to the very uncomfortable beds. I know that time shares have to be durable because of the nature of the business.
Here are some of the things that I noticed in our 2 bedroom. There evidently is no one following up on the cleaning crew. There was dust just about everywhere, the shower had mildew, no light bulb in the bedroom lamp. The sweeper in the closet was 1/2 full and probably hadn't been emptied in weeks. The patio had cig butts from the last guest. I wouldn't say that our 2 bedroom was filthy, but there was NO attention to detail that I expect when traveling.
Further, the front desk employees could use a little customer service training.
I will not stay at Ocean East again.

• Liked — beach front
  • Disliked — cleaniness of the rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean East Resort Club? Share your experiences!