“Great Mexican food, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Mexican food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant (thanks TripAdvisor!) when we were looking for some good Mexican food near to where we were visiting with family. The atmosphere was relaxed, but the decor was more upscale than found in most restaurants located in strip malls, so it could serve as a destination for either special occasions or a casual meal. The waitstaff was very attentive, bringing chips and two types of salsa (the white one was unique - probably sour cream based, but an intriguing combination of sweet and spicy) as soon as we sat down. The food was great. We ordered the tortilla soup and, even though we have taken numerous vacations in Mexico, it was among the best that we have tasted: while not spicy, it was well-seasoned and contained very fresh-tasting vegetables as well as shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and, of course, tortilla strips. For entrees, we ordered vegetable quesadillas (they have an entire page of vegetarian options on the menu) and salmon. Both were excellent - the quesadillas were flavorful, as was the salmon (which came with a raspberry chipolte sauce that gave it some kick without overwhelming the flavor). The salmon also came with fresh steamed vegetables, which were perfectly cooked and seasoned. We were very pleased with La Fiesta.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Don't Bring Kids, They Burnt my Daughter's Arm!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The reason for the low score is pretty clear from my title. This was only the main reason.

We arrived and a pleasant but not particularly attentive waiter took our drinks order. The drinks took a while. Although other tables had their servers buzzing around, ours did not. A problem since I had a question about the menu.

The waiter eventually returned and failed to take my drink order but managed the food order for everyone else. He disappeared again!

The real problem was then that the meal was served all at once by multiple waiters, it was a complete mess and in complete chaos.
The result of this was that one of the waiters put a hot plate down on my 4 year old daughter's arm! He glanced at me, clearly scared, as she screamed and left the table as quickly as possible. The other waiters and our table noticed this and we asked for ice. Nothing happened apart from all of us getting ice from our drinks to put on her arm.
Five minutes later we were presented with a glass of ice. The only apology we had was a feeble, quiet and scared "sorry, sorry, sorry" from the waiter who had done the damage when he ran off. No other mention was made.

Now you might think that I would start a big fuss here. Normally you would be right but the injury was not major, my daughter was ok. I was asked by someone at the table not make a fuss and so i did not. Thank you Tripadvisor for allowing me to voice this disaster!

My food arrived with a creamy sauce. The menu had said that it was topped with cheese, not cheese sauce-other dishes specified cheese sauce. I told the waiter this and he returned it after rudely arguing about it. My dish arrived with no cheese at all, a dry dish. I asked where the cheese was and he said all their cheese was cheese sauce. I enquired as to why they had dishes with each option available if it was all the same and why others at our table had shredded cheese on their dishes.
He returned with some shredded cheese in a cup for me to put on my rapidly cooling meal.

I did try my wife's meal at one moment and it was delicious. She had chicken fajitas I wish I had chosen these.

I would never return here, I don't care if it is popular, I care that they hurt my girl and they added insult to injury by not apologising. If I could give a negative review I would, I think I may still report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Goodbye La Fiesta, you will not see us again.

P.S. In case anyone reading this wondered, my daughter's arm had calmed to pink at the end of the meal and returned to normal by the time she went to bed, less traumatised after a nice story from mummy and daddy.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Good Mexican in Ormond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am from California and have been on the search for good Mexican food in this area, and La Fiesta delivers on more than one level. Their food is very authentic and tasty. You will find a combination of spicy and mild food - so there is something for everyone!

Visited March 2013
“Forget the negative reviews.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

This is GREAT Mexican food. Some of the best my family has ever had. We love Mexican and eat it often especially if we are in a new place. Don't pay any attention to the negative reviews. They must have gone to a different place because the food was great.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Satsuma, FL
“Not the best service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We walked in the door, the hostess took us straight into the bar area. We felt it was way too loud and asked if we could sit somewhere else. She was not happy about that. When she took us to another area, she stood there and told us "just sit wherever". This was about 6:30pm on a Friday night. This restaurant had been recommended to us and we were really looking forward to our meal. Anyway, the waiter came over, we tried to ask a couple of questions and he was too busy (with 3 tables) to help very much. We ordered and while we were waiting for our food the table close by had a mom, dad, grandmother and little girl. They had ordered and received their drinks. The little girl knocked over a glass and it spilled over the whole table and all over dad's chair. They used all their napkins trying to clean up the spill. Meanwhile, a busboy walked by, stopped and watched for a second or two and then kept on going. The tables waiter also stood and watched, but never went to help them. The dad had to go the restroom and get paper towels to clean the mess. Then they finally got the attention of the waiter and they had to ask for more napkins and for the waiter to take away everything that they had used to soak up the spill. NO ONE that worked there ever came to nor offered to help them!!!! The food was good, but rather pricey. Service was NOT very good at all!!!!!!

• Visited May 2013