“Wonderful time and excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel

Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
5601 Universal Blvd, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)
+1 407-503-1244
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #166 of 239 Activities in Orlando
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful time and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

outstanding spa visit on 4/24/12 my boys were over at the parks for early admission so i decided to do the spa thing since my boys say i walk slow and i dont get on the rides anyway. So the Hard Rock made appt at the spa for me and off on the rickshaw over to spa...i was greeted by Amanda who was very pleasant and showed me around the spa..after i got undressed and into robe and slipper i waited for my masseuse. While i was waiting i used the mint eucalyptus towel on my hands and feel very relaxing. I got the special the spa was running 20 min back, 20 foot and 20 facial massage. Paula was my masseuse she did my back and feet she was excellent i talked the whole time and she listened to me jabber on and on. Next up my facial and i had Melinda she was excellent too. After my massage i got to enjoy the rest of the spa a bit the sauna and the best steam room it was a bit steamy the first time i was in but i loved it..overall i was there 2 hours excellent spa, excellent service.... A must visit when staying onsite.

Visited April 2012

Wayne, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Stay Away from this Horrible Place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I need to preface this review by saying that my masseuse, Valerie, was excellent and gave a great massage.

I was visiting the area with some girlfriends and we scheduled a visit to Mandara Spa at Portofino Bay Hotel expecting an amazing spa experience. This was by far the worst full service/amenity spa I have ever visited.

We arrived an hour or so early planning to use the spa's steam room, hot tub, sauna and quiet room to relax before our massages. When we arrived we were given a tour around the facility. Things looked nice enough... but after we put our things away in the locker room, it all went downhill.

First we went to the hot tub. Now, I like a hot temperature in my hot tub but this was scaldingly HOT. After putting a foot in for a few seconds you have this panic feeling that your skin is BURNING. We tried to get into the hot tub but could not get in past our thighs and when we got out, there was a red line burned into our skin from how deep we stood in the water all the way down our legs. I immediately walked out to the front desk to make them aware of the problem so it could be fixed. They put a hand in and agreed the water was incredibly hot and then they did NOTHING. All I asked was if they would please turn down the temperature. There was not even a thermometer in the hot tub for them to regulate the temperature. It was ridiculous. We could not endure the hot tub at all and gave up on it after a few minutes.

Next we tried the steam room which was fine until the steam turned on for 10 minutes straight at boiling hot temperatures. Again, I like a hot steam room but when you are sitting across the room from the vent and the steam in the room starts to BURN your skin to the point it is uncomfortable to leave your feet on the ground, that is TOO HOT! This annoyed me so much because I specifically chose this spa for its amenities.

The quiet room had only two comfortable chairs which were loungers. The rest of the chairs were upholstered in cheap vinyl covered cushions atop some sort of wicker frame. You could not recline in them and if you tried, the vinyl would make annoying squeaky noises. There also was none of the expected quiet relaxing music playing.

But the real kicker was the surprisingly unprofessional and poorly behaved staff. While sitting in the quiet room I kept hearing talking! I realized this was coming from two staff members who were cleaning the shower area! After my massage finished I went back to the quiet room to find my friend already back from her massage and very amped up. I asked her how it went and she told me her masseur talked from beginning to end about a variety of inappropriate and crass things. For example, he told her she should have come on a Thursday when a very attractive male masseur works (and I'm phrasing it cleaner than he did). He also told her that all of the Disney staff use drugs and earn less than minimum wage and he told her a "joke" about giving a "happy ending" to Mike Myers. Basically, she got to hear him vent, complain, and talk about himself throughout what was supposed to be a relaxing experience for her. She did not have the heart to tell him to shut up because she was afraid SHE might offend HIM. How about him offending her with his incredible rude and unprofessional behavior.

We left here with a feeling of "Are you kidding me right now with this??" Is this how a professional spa is run? Are these really the people they hire? We paid a lot of money to have a relaxing quiet afternoon at the spa and that is not what we got.

Visited March 2012
Dayton, OH
“Outstanding from the Moment We Walked in the Door...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I took my daughter and son-in-law to Universal for a few days stay over New Years. We were taken care of "hand and foot" from the moment we walked in. There was a gentlemen to show us around the men's spa area and one for the ladies, as well. Anything we needed was taken care of at our beck-and-call. All of us received hot-rock massages and all were very pleased with the massage. We spent time in the hot tub and steam rooms. We were even allowed to leave the premises to use and sit by the Portofino pool for a few hours without "checking out". We returned, showered up, checked out and were on our way to a wonderful New Year's dinner at "The Palm" later that evening...but that's another review. My only complaint...and it's petty...was a light bulb in the ceiling directly over my head during the massage, with only a clothe strung across the room to hide it. Make it go away!

Visited December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worse spa experience - Your stuff will get stolen.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I travel and have been at a number of spas and this spa was by far the worse experience. After a 50 minute massage I came back to my locker and my wallet, cosmetic bag and cell phone were stolen out of my tote bag, even though I double checked if the locker was locked before I left for my treatment. The staff was completely useless (including the spa director - Lisa Gueorguiev) and rude, which makes me question if it was an inside job. I had to file a police statement and it really put a damper on my vacation.

Visited October 2011
Lansdale, PA
15 attraction reviews
“Quiet, nice, relaxing - as a spa should be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Our party (me, my husband, and 2 20-something girls) all had spa treatements at Mandara Spa recently. I've been fortunate to have massages once or twice before, so I had a little bit of a baseline for comparison, and I have to say it was very nice. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

When we arrived, we were escorted to Men's and Ladie's dressing/changing rooms, with showers, lockers, bathrobes, etc. Extremely efficient and well-run. Then we met up in a lounge area to wait for our appointments - there was a unisex jacuzzi that we didn't use, herb tea, New Agey music, etc.

As for our treatments, they were all quite good. My massage was lovely - tip: GET THE HOT STONE ADD-ON! Unbelievable! The girls both had facials and said they were amazing. My husband even liked his massage!

I'd absolutely go again.