“Food for Supermodels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pao Gostoso Bakery

Pao Gostoso Bakery
5472 International Dr, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)
Website
Neighborhood: Florida Center
Orlando, Florida
“Food for Supermodels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Have you noticed Brazil on the Rise in Orlando? A few years ago there weren’t many, if at all any, Brazilian Restaurants much less a Brazilian Bakery. Now there are more Brazilian Steakhouses than you can throw a Brazilian Supermodel at. I am sure you have heard of the mammoth meat feeding at places like Texas de Brazil, Nelore, and Fogo de Chao. But have you ventured to the Brazilian Plaza on International Dr. and walked into Pao Gostoso Bakery?

This semi circular plaza has a one way entrance and exit. It houses a huge Brazilian Grocery store, restaurant, shops, and Pao Gostoso Bakery. There are recent additions of outdoor patio style and sidewalk seating. The interior is airy and voluminous, with brightly painted ceiling air vents. Interior seating caters to sweet indulgences, while take out is an option. The menu features sandwiches, burgers, and Brazilian steak specialties. But the Supermodel here is Brazilian Pastries. These sumptuous goddesses are sweet and salted, baked to a perfect Brazilian tan.

Puff pastry with red dot is filled with Guava and cream cheese, other puffed pastry is filled with dulce de leche, two egg custard tarts and a pumpkin milk cake. Amazing flakiness and textures here, not too over sweet.

Cornmeal and milk cake – good balance of sweetness, amazing corn texture and flavor.

Dulce de leche cake with nuts – creamy and sweet dulce de leche, crumbly cake. Sinful!

Flan – sweet, silky, smooth, velvet sins.

Cashew Fruit Drink – is sold under the Brazilian Gourmet Brand, which carries various other native Brazilian fruit drinks such as Guava, Mango, and Passion. Dubbed as the “most liberal fruit” for its exposed nut (look carefully in the picture), this fruit drink actually taste like a fresh cashew fruit. I am amazed that this drink manages to neutralize the sour taste of cashew fruit and not overpower with sweetness. Yes, I have eaten a fresh cashew fruit.

There are so many different pastries in this bakery that I just can’t sample them all in one shot. With Brazil set to host the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and 2014 FIFA World Cup Soccer we should all eat more Brazilian cuisine and pastry. Don’t you think?

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“Local Brazilian Bakery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Pao Gostoso used to have a large variety of Brazilian cakes, all fresh and displayed in a way that one would eat with her or his eyes. After ownership change, everything changed, and I have to say sadly not for the best. I still go there, sometimes to buy fresh orange juice with pao de queijo in the morning, but the cakes are not the same. I am a huge fan of quindin, and they had one of the best I had ever eaten. However the last I had was filled with food coloring and easy to see that it was not as good as before.
you can still get fresh salgadinhos, deep fried at order. Since it is the only full service bakery, we have no other choice, unless you want to make it yourself

Visited May 2012
Blumenau, SC
“Padaria brasileira.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Delicious coffee and tasty sandwiches (no fat). Optimal choice for breakfast or snack for the evening.

Visited September 2011
Manchester, TN
“got a variety of things to try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stopped by here before leaving town. Since, there aren't any places like this where I live, I wanted to get a bunch of different things to try. I got a lot for less than 15 dollars. My favorite was the cheese empenda. I wish I could have tried the beef one. I got a variety of the cookies with the butter ones being my favorite. The chicken cheese ball was unique and good. And I got 2 cakes to try which were just OK. This is definitely a place to check out.

Visited October 2011
Tampa, Florida
“Don't know if it's authentic, but it's good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

A little Brazilian bakery and cafe (Paderia) frequented by the area's Brazilian population. Amazing baked goods for breakfast, dessert, & brunch, with the best sandwiches you can imagine. I especially recommend the X-tudo (house special) and calabrese. For desserts, I fell in love with brigadeiros and beijinho de coco (chocolate and coconut candies), and grew so fond of the areias de cascais (shortbread cookies) that I searched out the recipe on the net and translated it from Portuguese after my vacation. My wife tended to indulge in their delicious looking cakes. Don't overlook trying the Guarana Antarctica soda, a sweet fruity concoction that I hear is the national drink of Brazil.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere