“Great Location/Value” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Orlando Airport West
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   7931 Daetwyler Drive, Orlando, FL 32812   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #210 of 327 Hotels in Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at this so-called hotel for 4 weeks during our relocation to Florida. La Quinta claims to be well suited for short AND long term stays but they are NOT! Beware of this hotel! Originally, we stayed at La Quinta Orlando South but we were moved to La Quinta Airport West due to horrible, horrible problems at South Orlando.

Upon check-in, we were assigned a room that had absolutely no internet access (one of the same problems we had at Orlando South). We asked the front desk about it and they blamed it on the rain. The next morning, perfectly clear skies, still no internet! Again asked the front desk and asked if this problem would be covered under La Quinta’s service guarantee, “If something is wrong and we are unable to fix it, the night is on us”. Was told “no” but they credited me $20 for the inconvenience. Whatever! The front desk offered to move us to a different room that had an access point directly in the room. We agreed and moved and received somewhat better internet connectivity.

When we were moved from Orlando South to Airport West, the Regional Manager, Brad Seehafer guaranteed us that our rate would remain the same. It did for the first week and that was it. Every week after, we had to “fight” with the front desk to get the same rate. During our second week, I went to the front desk to pay an additional few nights. The hotel’s General Manager, Steve Kilmer was working the front desk and assisted me. After the fact, he looked at me and told me, “You’re all set. Your total today was $186.12”. WRONG! He never confirmed anything and just charged the wrong rate to my debit card. This caused havoc with my bank and after all was said and done, we ended up with three overdrafts and $117.00 in overdraft fees from our bank. I tried complaining to the Hotel Manager and the response I received was, “We are not responsible for your bank account”. Oh guess again! Your employees AGAIN changed our rate and YOU overcharged us and never had the business sense to tell us a total before doing so!

Furthermore, during our stay at this hotel, we found out that on our last night of each week, the hotel would attempt to charge our debit card for additional nights at 8:00AM. Even though check out is not until 12 noon, at 8:00AM the hotel was trying to take more money. The hotel manager even told me to make sure the front desk person removes my debit card information each time I pay or the hotel would “automatically” charge me additional nights at the end of our stay. One front desk person told me that the hotel manager has instructed the front desk people to manually charge guests on the day of their check out if the guest has not extended or checked out. Understandable if it’s after 12 noon and the guest has not checked out but when it’s 8AM and you are automatically charging additional nights and don’t really have until 12 Noon to check out??? How are they to know if you are staying or checking out? If my reservation ends on June 5, for example, they have absolutely no right to take it upon themselves to extend it and take money from my debit card. Isn’t this illegal?

Tried calling both the Regional Manager, Brad Seehafer and the Manager of Guest Relations, Kevin Jones a total of 3 times and never received a return call. Brad Seehafer is the person that moved us to this hotel and specifically told me, “If you have any further problems, here’s my phone number – please call me”.

During the fourth week at this hotel, the internet started slowing way down to the point you could not keep your laptop connected. This was in a room with an access point directly in the room. Again, tried speaking with the front desk on two separate occasions and was told there was nothing they could do.

This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in! Motel 6 is luxury compared to this place! Very, very bad management and they DO NOT honor any type of service guarantees.

Please be very careful of La Quinta Hotels, especially in Florida. I worked my way up to an Elite Member with La Quinta Returns and obviously this means NOTHING to the company. I have stayed at La Quinta Hotels across the country and never had these types of problems. The management in Florida is horrible, at best! I will NEVER stay at this chain again! Beware – Beware – Beware!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
StevenK642, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Orlando Airport West, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Guest rated cleanliness as a one. Guest never allowed anyone in room to clean. Internet went down for 5 minutes one day for maintenance so a new battery back up system could be installed. Debit cards when authorized show as charges on your bank statement and then again on final charge (so it looks like two charges) Guest was aware of the overcharge,$33.00 and was fine with the extra charge as the authorization would release back to his card in two days. The next day guest complained about overdraft charges. There are signs at the desk discouraging the use of debit cards. Guest did stay 4 weeks.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The hotel staff are very pleasant and helpful. The pool is large and inviting. The rooms are decently sized. It is a nice value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Richmond Hill, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is obviously an older hotel which has gone through a relatively recent refresh. The quality of the room wasn't bad.

The hotel itself is essentially painted weather-worn brick with almost scary concrete exterior access walkways. There is an elevator available to reach the 2nd and 3rd floors. The exterior of the hotel would probably barely garner about a 2 out of 5 rating. But we're not staying outdoors, are we?

The lobby was farily descent if not a bit small for the number of units they have. Breakfast was on the low end of mediocre. A hot waffle machine and fruit selections would be a huge improvement.

The room itself was decent. Two double beds, HDTV, table, chair, a single vanity, toilet, bath/shower. All pretty clean - certainly not spotless, but not roach ridden, either. The beds featured pillow top mattresses and very soft and comfortable bedspreads and pillows.

The restroom/vanity area had wooden floors. This was an interesting touch. It looked to be original and well worn - yet clean. Certainly had seen better days, but I still preferred it over cheap vinyl floor tiles.

The most satisfying aspect of the room was the HDTV. These HDTVs were actually hooked up to a real HD source, so ALL the stations came in CRYSTAL CLEAR. Funny story about the TV. I turned it on and went into the restroom. I heard something that sounded like a very heavy aspirator. It wasn't the AC, but it sounded mechanical. When I returned to my room, I discovered that the default TV station when you turn it on shows an evening moonlit seascape. The sound was the waves rolling in. This was so awesome that I went to sleep to it....

Unfortunately, I was awakened at around 1 AM due to some very loud talking outside my room. The walls are pretty thin, as described by others.

This hotel has a pretty happening restauarant in the parking lot with an active bar scene. I was on the back side of the hotel, so I never heard any of that, but I imaging if you were on the ground floor right outside the restaurant, a Friday night could be restless.

Note that the Orlando public bus system, Lynx, has bus 11 & 42 stop right outside the hotel. The outbound (airport bound) 11 actually has it's stop on the other side of FL 528, whereas the inbound 11 and both directions of bus 42 have their stops on the hotel side of the highway.

Overall, the convenience of this hotel, along with it's lower price and quality rooms made it an above average stay for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel to avoid noise from the restaurant/bar in the parking l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn Orlando Airport West? Share your experiences!