“Dated & Not Particularly Clean.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall

You added Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8296 South Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32809 (Formerly Econo Lodge) (Florida Mall)   |
Ranked #180 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Dated & Not Particularly Clean.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stay in a lot of Red Roof Inns as I travel for work. The reason is they are generally clean and consistent. I don't need much more than a place to sleep. This Red Roof Inn seemed to be on the lower end of the that scale for my one night stay in Orlando. The room was not particularly clean, the bedspreads had stains, as did the sheets on one bed. I understand that the Red roof chain is not a luxury resort but I didn't expect to be asked for money from two different people who had "transportation issues" in the hotel parking lot. One was a guest at the hotel, I'm not sure about the other guy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Tom C.
First of all thank you very much for your respond, we would like to apologize that this was not taken care of before you left our hotel. Ideally, we wouldn’t have let you go home without a formal apology or some form of action for what took place. Your specific grievances have been noted for further improving the services we provide. Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience, we will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here three times this summer and must give it all 5's. If you have an early AM departure or very late arrival to or from MCO and need to spend the night in Orlando I recommend the Red Roof Inn Orlando South. Convenient, secure, large rooms, WIFI, fridge & micro, iron & board, coffee and more. Economical and 10 minutes to the airport. Plus wonderful staff who went out of their way to priority mail my wife's forgotten driver's license to Honolulu!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Thank you for giving us all 5's. It was our pleasure to send your wife her driver's license; we are so happy that she received it. We are so happy to hear that you love our new rooms and all of the amenties that we offer. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Orlando area. Thank you again for sharing your experience with other travelers.
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I ended up here after volunteering my seat for a voucher on Delta Airliines. Well my connecting flight would not leave until next day. That was fine as the voucher compensated me. Red Roof had sent me a email for discount on rooms for entire month. I gave it a try since it was only for one day. The hotel was ok. I did not know it was a pet friendly hotel. I normally do my research but this was a spur of the moment booking. Someone had some dogs that constantly were barking all afternoon.

The room had a fridge, microwave and safe. Im sure you would want to use that safe if you intend to stay longer than a day. The floors were hardwood, that is a plus in my opinion. I rather have wood than carpet. The beds were ok. I didnt wake up with back pain. It did have a 32" LCD tv. There was some questionable characters around the hotel. I would not be venturing out at night. Anyway it was a one night stay and i dont plan to visit here again. That being said, it was worth the sleepover.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for visiting us at RRI. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. In that regard please accepts our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the barking dogs, I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Rooms were clean and staff was helpful. Very good location, not far from local attractions and shopping centers. swimming pool was clean. Would recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here again the next time i'm in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us at Red Roof Inn Orlando South. We take pride in knowing all of our staff are trained in accommodating all Guest. We are delighted that you would like to recommend us to your friends and family as your home away from home.
Fair Lawn, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

For anyone not interested in reading my longer review, I will summarize by saying that this Red Roof Inn is a flea bag motel that got a very superficial makeover by the Red Roof Inn corporation. The people at the front desk were as friendly and helpful as one could hope for but that could not make up for how dreary and disgusting this place is. If you are considering staying here, just be totally aware of what this place is like in terms of its location and condition: on a busy highway that is superficially clean but with rooms that are likely to smell bad and have lingering odors from smokers. There are likely much better options at other motels nearby.

We stayed here for one night before flying back to New Jersey after spending over a week at Universal at the Hard Rock Hotel. We wanted a cheap place to stay near the airport so we could spend one more full day at the theme parks.

I wish I had heeded my own advice and read more of the reviews of this place. I cannot imagine how this place got a special recognition award from Trip Advisor. We chose it because we had stayed for one night at a Red Roof Inn in Lake George, New York. That place was inexpensive but very clean and modern. This place is the total opposite. I don’t want to bash the people who work here because they were the only good thing about this place. They were helpful and friendly. It is just that this place is pretty much a flea bag motel that got a very superficial makeover by the Red Roof Inn corporation. You can see that they came in and in each room repainted the walls, redid the floors (no carpeting), put in new contemporary bed linens, flat screen TVs, etc. But this was a very superficial makeover. If the Red Roof company thought this location deserved a better upgrade, then they would have gutted each room and redone them from scratch. That is a much more costly improvement so this indicated to me that they knew this location was not worth it.

The place itself looks old (could have been built in the 1950s maybe earlier?). The rooms are big enough but our room had a moldy/mildew smell and reeked of cigarette smoke. I had to crank the air conditioning to try and get some of the smell to go away but it made the room unbearably cold (but there’s a plus: the place had really good air conditioners). It was decently clean but I didn’t dare look at the mattresses. I figured out of sight, out of mind and it was only for one night. It appears like the motel is well maintained but because of its age and the fact that it only received a very superficial makeover, no matter how well maintained it is, its underlying condition will come through.

The motel is located on a very busy highway. There are restaurants and fast food places within walking distance. It’s also right next to a drab gas station with a dreary, scary “food mart” (think of a roadside place that a serial killer might go to). Making things worse were the other people staying with us. One family seemed to be homeless and we were able to see them because they left their door wide open all evening. I’m not knocking people who are down on their luck but I did not expect to be staying in a place that caters to them. I wish I had known this. There were a lot of people staying here that seemed to be just passing through. I’m not saying that everyone there was doing something suspicious but I would bet that suspicious activity of all kinds likely takes place here at times. It has that anonymous feel to it that would appeal to folks doing things that are not likely legal.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine that there are any good rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn Florida Mall.
We are very proud of our staff. We are sorry for your impressions of our hotel we are working diligently to earn our customers loyalty the staff and I were very happy to hear that we made a good impression with our service. We hope that you will take the time to see our new improvement that we are making to our hotel the next time that you are in Orlando.
West Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I travel with my two girls two or three times a year. I often stay in Red Roof. We flew into Orlando and arrived at the Red Roof at 4 AM There were no parkiing spot for the car.The parking lot was so small that you had to back out. You couldn't even turn around.
The beds were made but the sheets of both beds had the million fine wrinkles that meant that they had been used by the previous people. The funishings were close to fleabag level. Amenities were lacking. There was no Kleenex. The toilet paper was of the sandpaper variety and so it went with all the things that the hotel supplied. We were to exhausted at 4 AM to complain ane it was plain that there were no other free rooms in the small hotel
I felt soiled by staying at that hotel.
I notified Red Roof several times and they ignored me.
I have never complained about a hotel before.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MrTimothyMeansRRIFOD, Public Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have spoken to the staff and believe you stayed with us during a city-wide special event hosted downtown. Regardless, I sincerely apologize for the parking challenges and room not being ready. We pride ourselves on clean rooms, good service at a great value.

I hope that you will give us another try in the future. If you want to call me directly next time you are in town I can be reached at 407-240-0570 and ask for

GM, Homer
Yomitan-son, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm gonna be brutally fair without too much negative bias: the place was a mess - transient population living there and trashed moldy, dirty rooms. Hardwood floors were slightly sticky as were the main light switch. ALL the light shades were stained! The room smelled of mildew and mold was growing behind toilet and parts of the bathtub near the floor. The beds were fine, clean sheets and covers, no mold or mildew smell. The front desk staff, Jon, was attentive but he late staff could not change our room when we decided too late in the evening to switch rooms. The last-straw was a roach sighting on the floor early in the morning. Still slightly traumatized by the whole experience. I think many of these motels along Orange Blossom Trail Rd are filled with people who are struggling to get by. Might be acceptable if you can tolerate this kind of thing for a night before your early flight out of MCO, but for all the good reviews I read on TA.com, this was a horrible experience and a let down since most of the reviews seemed to indicate that this place was acceptable. Avoid rooms towards the rear during summer if you must book here, bullfrogs are as LOUD as car-alarms in pond behind the motel!

• Stayed August 2013
MrTimothyMeansRRIFOD, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are working very hard to improve all areas of the operation. Please know that we have shared your comments with the staff and are making the necessary corrections to improve the guest’s overall experience. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to prove our sincerity.

Homer

Been to Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall? Share your experiences!