“It Has That Anonymous Feel to It That Would Appeal to Folks Doing Things That Are Not Likely Legal” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8296 South Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32809 (Formerly Econo Lodge) (Florida Mall)   |
Ranked #189 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Fair Lawn, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

For anyone not interested in reading my longer review, I will summarize by saying that this Red Roof Inn is a flea bag motel that got a very superficial makeover by the Red Roof Inn corporation. The people at the front desk were as friendly and helpful as one could hope for but that could not make up for how dreary and disgusting this place is. If you are considering staying here, just be totally aware of what this place is like in terms of its location and condition: on a busy highway that is superficially clean but with rooms that are likely to smell bad and have lingering odors from smokers. There are likely much better options at other motels nearby.

We stayed here for one night before flying back to New Jersey after spending over a week at Universal at the Hard Rock Hotel. We wanted a cheap place to stay near the airport so we could spend one more full day at the theme parks.

I wish I had heeded my own advice and read more of the reviews of this place. I cannot imagine how this place got a special recognition award from Trip Advisor. We chose it because we had stayed for one night at a Red Roof Inn in Lake George, New York. That place was inexpensive but very clean and modern. This place is the total opposite. I don’t want to bash the people who work here because they were the only good thing about this place. They were helpful and friendly. It is just that this place is pretty much a flea bag motel that got a very superficial makeover by the Red Roof Inn corporation. You can see that they came in and in each room repainted the walls, redid the floors (no carpeting), put in new contemporary bed linens, flat screen TVs, etc. But this was a very superficial makeover. If the Red Roof company thought this location deserved a better upgrade, then they would have gutted each room and redone them from scratch. That is a much more costly improvement so this indicated to me that they knew this location was not worth it.

The place itself looks old (could have been built in the 1950s maybe earlier?). The rooms are big enough but our room had a moldy/mildew smell and reeked of cigarette smoke. I had to crank the air conditioning to try and get some of the smell to go away but it made the room unbearably cold (but there’s a plus: the place had really good air conditioners). It was decently clean but I didn’t dare look at the mattresses. I figured out of sight, out of mind and it was only for one night. It appears like the motel is well maintained but because of its age and the fact that it only received a very superficial makeover, no matter how well maintained it is, its underlying condition will come through.

The motel is located on a very busy highway. There are restaurants and fast food places within walking distance. It’s also right next to a drab gas station with a dreary, scary “food mart” (think of a roadside place that a serial killer might go to). Making things worse were the other people staying with us. One family seemed to be homeless and we were able to see them because they left their door wide open all evening. I’m not knocking people who are down on their luck but I did not expect to be staying in a place that caters to them. I wish I had known this. There were a lot of people staying here that seemed to be just passing through. I’m not saying that everyone there was doing something suspicious but I would bet that suspicious activity of all kinds likely takes place here at times. It has that anonymous feel to it that would appeal to folks doing things that are not likely legal.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine that there are any good rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn Florida Mall.
We are very proud of our staff. We are sorry for your impressions of our hotel we are working diligently to earn our customers loyalty the staff and I were very happy to hear that we made a good impression with our service. We hope that you will take the time to see our new improvement that we are making to our hotel the next time that you are in Orlando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
West Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I travel with my two girls two or three times a year. I often stay in Red Roof. We flew into Orlando and arrived at the Red Roof at 4 AM There were no parkiing spot for the car.The parking lot was so small that you had to back out. You couldn't even turn around.
The beds were made but the sheets of both beds had the million fine wrinkles that meant that they had been used by the previous people. The funishings were close to fleabag level. Amenities were lacking. There was no Kleenex. The toilet paper was of the sandpaper variety and so it went with all the things that the hotel supplied. We were to exhausted at 4 AM to complain ane it was plain that there were no other free rooms in the small hotel
I felt soiled by staying at that hotel.
I notified Red Roof several times and they ignored me.
I have never complained about a hotel before.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MrTimothyMeansRRIFOD, Public Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have spoken to the staff and believe you stayed with us during a city-wide special event hosted downtown. Regardless, I sincerely apologize for the parking challenges and room not being ready. We pride ourselves on clean rooms, good service at a great value.

I hope that you will give us another try in the future. If you want to call me directly next time you are in town I can be reached at 407-240-0570 and ask for

GM, Homer
Yomitan-son, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm gonna be brutally fair without too much negative bias: the place was a mess - transient population living there and trashed moldy, dirty rooms. Hardwood floors were slightly sticky as were the main light switch. ALL the light shades were stained! The room smelled of mildew and mold was growing behind toilet and parts of the bathtub near the floor. The beds were fine, clean sheets and covers, no mold or mildew smell. The front desk staff, Jon, was attentive but he late staff could not change our room when we decided too late in the evening to switch rooms. The last-straw was a roach sighting on the floor early in the morning. Still slightly traumatized by the whole experience. I think many of these motels along Orange Blossom Trail Rd are filled with people who are struggling to get by. Might be acceptable if you can tolerate this kind of thing for a night before your early flight out of MCO, but for all the good reviews I read on TA.com, this was a horrible experience and a let down since most of the reviews seemed to indicate that this place was acceptable. Avoid rooms towards the rear during summer if you must book here, bullfrogs are as LOUD as car-alarms in pond behind the motel!

• Stayed August 2013
MrTimothyMeansRRIFOD, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are working very hard to improve all areas of the operation. Please know that we have shared your comments with the staff and are making the necessary corrections to improve the guest’s overall experience. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to prove our sincerity.

Homer
Brooksville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed here before it was a Red Roof, and it was OK. Now that it is a R.R. I know I'll be back. The new "Renovated" concept RR has come out with is great.

After reading a few negative (very few) reviews I called the Inn direct. The person I spoke with was Sean. If he is any example of the new attitudes of the staff at this Inn, well, they must be doing something right.

My 2 main questions were "Do you have ADA rooms?" No. and "Are ALL the rooms renovated?" Yes.

Hint: Book thru the Red Roof website...$15 less than price quoted by Sean for mid-Aug., when I'll probably be there.

P.S.-The 5 rating I gave was based solely on my conversation with Sean.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Dale,

RRI “shouts out hello Dale”! Thank you for your kind words. You are correct. We have installed all new flooring, new paint, new bed sets, bedding, improved WIFI & flat screen TV’s. I hope that you will be back soon to checkout our new flat screen TV’s.

See you soon.

Homer
Sarasota County Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this motel while traveling on business as an inexpensive option. The room I stayed in had a comfortable king bed, fridge, microwave, a Jacuzzi tub. The room was huge and right off the small pool they have. If you need an overnight option,,,for the money...this motel is worth it. I wouldn't plan on spending my vacation there as it is NOT luxurious but is clean and convenient. The staff was superb and extremely professional during my check in and out.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded KING room with the Jacuzzi...it is huge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Homer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I would like to thank you for your recent visit to The Red Roof Inn Hotel. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We are happy that the accommodations and service were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal. We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest. We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I arrived at 1:30am and requested a room close to the front. They were accommodating and extremely helpful. They are under new management and I can tell. They are trying their best to offer great service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you found our staff to be accommodating and extremely helpful; this is what we strive for with each and every guest. We hope to see you next time you are in the Orlando area.
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Staff very friendly. I checked in late, was traveling alone, and staff recommended a quiet, safe restaurant I could walk to. Clean and comfortable room with refrigerator, microwave, iron, and ironing board. Hotel does not offer breakfast, but there are many fast food places up and down S. Orange Blossom Tr. WiFi service works well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn for your recent stay in Orlando. We have read your comments about our hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them as our guests satisfaction is our main priority. It is very important for us that our guest experiences are shared. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall? Share your experiences!