“Wrong side of the Tracks” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #192 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Wrong side of the Tracks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed there the W/E of march 30th. While a very nice hotel from the inside, you need to be careful where you go once you leave the hotel. One block in the wrong direction and you are in a less than desirable neighborhood. The lobby and room is nicely decorated. The bed very comfortable. There are serious noise issues that need to be address. The constant drone of cars on the Interstate can be heard at all hours of the night. Amtrak trains horn can wake the dead!!! Light could be seen shining thought the locked doors leading to a small balcony that was off limits due to guest safety issues. The door to the room also didn’t have a “tight seal” allowing noises to come thought all night long. At the end of our hallway there seemed to be a small banquet room that was being used by a wedding party. Loud drunken voices could be heard down the hallway up till around midnight. The food at the small lobby restaurant was ok, nothing special and much better could be found a few minutes away in the downtown Eola Lake area

Room Tip: if possible, try to get a room facing away fomr I-4
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear hcarlock66,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We appreciate the compliments on our comfortable beds. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the level of noise encountered. We have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Again, I am grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will start with the good - Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, I was upgraded to a suite which was huge Lounge, Kitchen 2 large flat screen tv's, nice bathroom with shower and bath. The bar was good with a good selection of meals and a happy hour early evening.
The bad - The windows have no soundproofing at all being next to a 10 lane highway there is always traffic noise. My rate included breakfast which turned out to be a very limited buffet breakfast I have had much better breakfasts free in a holiday inn Express definitely not Crowne Plaza standard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gojoglobal,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were satisfied with our hotel suites and friendly staff. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectation on this day especially with the level of noise encountered and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The only good expierence was the front desk person Alecia who was very helpful,and pleasant. When I arrived at the hotel didn't mind that there was a wait to check in but was very disappointed that my room which in advance was booked was given away and had to wait over an hour to finally be given a room which Alecia was helpful and did the best that she could to take care of the situation. The A/C was not working in the room,and coffee pot did not work either. I think the worst thing is I find that I was charged more than what was stated would be charged for 1 night and when trying to call to inquire was hung up on 6 times I attempted to call one last time and asked to speak with a hotel manager and was hung up on again due to that expierence will not stay there again . And for the price of the hotel could have chosen one of the more upper scale hotel in Orlando.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Catherine J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am particularly appreciative about your comments about your comments on Alicia. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. I apologize that you had some items that are not working in the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our amenities continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The room was very nice and cleaned on a daily basis. Staff were pleasant and friendly.the 14th floor was nice and quiet. The parking fee was $15 per night. A little steep considering what I paid in total. Other then that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: 14th floor was nice and quiet and a very nice downtown view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Azul L

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words, especially about the cleanliness of the rooms and to hear that our staff was pleasant and friendly. We will certainly share your feedback with our team.

We welcome you to contact the hotel on your next visit back to downtown Orlando and we will be happy to assist with any arrangements.

Warm Regards,
Catherine B.
Assistant Director of Guest Services
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I travel ALL the time. I am always somewhere new for work or pleasure, but my usual chain that I stick with are Choice Hotels. I could have stayed in Orlando this trip for free with all the points I have with their rewards program, but I wanted to try something different. I researched long and hard looking for a really great room at a decent price. I really wanted to LOVE my stay at this hotel, I came with high expectations even though the reviews weren't super great.

The Front Desk Staff- One of my biggest problems. Upon check in the guy at the desk was pretty cheerful and nice, we were off to a great start. Then things took a downward spiral. Anytime we had questions, they couldn't answer. We asked where the nearest target was the second day of our stay...the person at the front desk DIDN'T KNOW...ummm what? How is that even possible? People have to ask that everyday, how can you not possibly know? We were told to check with the Valet staff outside, so we did and at least one of those guys were able to point us in the right direction. On the second day of our trip (I had left the mapquest directions I had printed from the hotel to Universal at home on accident) we asked the woman at the front desk how to get to Universal. Surely working at a hotel in Orlando you would be able to give directions to one of the biggest theme parks...NOPE. The woman shrugged and said she had no idea. My husband and I looked at each other, and waited for her to offer a suggestion, or offer to look up directions since she had a computer right in front of her...again...NOPE. So I asked if she had a map at least...NOPE. So I asked if she minded looking it up for us, she said okay, but after several minutes of waiting, we said forget it, that we would find our way. It seemed like the front desk staff had no clue about their surroundings, which was pretty frustrating.

The Room- Was NOT clean when we arrived. The bed was messy and rumpled as if it had been sat on, it smelled a little stale, and the toilet had not even been flushed after the last use. Although there were Shampoo and Conditioner, there was NO soap. The room itself was very nicely decorated and the bed and pillows were very comfy. There were also plenty of pillows which was greatly appreciated. The traffic was pretty loud at night, which was a little annoying, but not enough to turn me off of ever staying again like some of the other factors.

The Bathroom- One of the most important features when I am looking for a hotel room. I chose this hotel and the King Suite, because of the bathroom. I was so excited to try out the shower...it didn't work :( we were so bummed. We were able to get all of the shower heads to come on the first shower, but then the overhead (rainfall) feature stopped working after that. The "Garden tub" is actually smaller then the regular tub in my 30yr old apartment, which I was bummed about. I felt cheated on the very reason I chose this hotel and particular room style.

The Valet Staff- Besides the comfy bed and nicely decorated room, they were the best part of our stay. They were great! Where the front desk staff failed, they picked up. The shuttle driver was AMAZING! He was extremely personable, and knowledgeable. Every time we arrived back at the hotel from an excursion they guys outside greeted us very friendly and made us feel like welcomed guests.

Room Service- We used the door hanger in our room to order room service on our first morning there. The food was great and the fresh cut flowers were an adorable addition. I only wish they left another door hanger to use to order again, or the cleaning staff would have left one.

Cleaning during stay- They did a better job cleaning while we were in the room then when we first arrived. When we came back on our second day from Universal, the room was cleaner that it had been when we arrived, and they left hand soap, we were pretty excited to not have to wash our hands with the shampoo lol! They also left lotion as well which I guess should have been in there in the first place which wasn't.

This hotel has great potential if they fix some issues. We are going back to Orlando in a month for my daughter's birthday and before we took this last trip I was hoping to be able to use the same hotel for both since we would know our way around that location the second time, but I don't think it's worth the amount of money we paid :/

Now some my ask why I didn't complain while I was there. I am extremely timid about complaining. I hardly ever tell hotels, restaurants, etc...when something is wrong. I would rather suffer through the experience, pay, and never go back then complain. I am weird I know.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Kristanna R,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am sorry that this visit was a disappointment due to the issues experienced with the reception staff and the room not being ready upon arrival. Rest assured that these issues will be addressed and I appreciate you bringing these matters into our attention as this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Again, many thanks for the review.

Pam G.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Crowne Plaza was well-located to several freeways in Downtown Orlando and convenient to shopping, restaurants, and other activities. Rooms were very nice, but the service in the restaurant for breakfast left something to be desired--not a great choice if you ar eon business and need to quickly eat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Miguel F,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and we hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.
Welland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for the week of March Break. Nothing positive to say about this hotel. We go to Orlando every year and roll the dice for four star hotels on discount sites. We lost big time here. The hotel charges you an extra $15 per night for parking. The location is terrible if you want to do anything park related as you get stuck in traffic all the time coming back in on the I4. The hotel is right next to the highway so all you hear is the traffic noise. The hotel is aging and the pool is not even heated so we never were able to use it. They took two of our personal towels when they cleaned the room and we asked for a rollaway cot but were told since there were five of us that it violated fire safety rules. Absolutely nothing good to say about this place worst stay ever in Orlando

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Paul F,

I’m sorry that your experience seemed so negative during your stay at our property. Our location in the downtown area was planned more for our business travelers who have meetings and conferences near our area. This is one of the reasons we offer a complimentary shuttle within a 3 mile radius of our hotel. There are alternative routes to the theme parks that avoid Highway I4 and our front desk agents are always available to print directions depending on a guest’s needs.

Regarding the hotel and its aging, we did renovate the property over one year ago, including updates to rooms and a beautiful renovation for our Bite Bistro Restaurant and Wine Bar. Our pool was also installed, brand new, during this time. This pool not only follows ADA regulation but is heated for our guests to stay comfortable on some of the colder Florida days.

I apologize if our housekeeping staff took two of your towels by mistake. I am searching for these towels with the Director of Housekeeping and our team. If you still feel as though your towels were left here at property please don’t hesitate to call us to help our investigation.

As for the rollaway cot restrictions in Orlando, the amount of guests in a room is not the limiting factor. For rooms with two queen beds a rollaway is considered a fire hazard because it may impede a safe exit for the guests in your room during an emergency. If our king bed with sofa pullout room types are available, we can have a rollaway bed sent to that room to help accommodate your needs.

Our team takes pride in providing great customer service and we will use your feedback to improve our guests' experiences. Thank you for your comments and feel free to contact us with more details so we can make more progress in reaching even higher standards.

Austin Allen
Director of Guest Services

Been to Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown? Share your experiences!