“Loved it...except for the sleeping part.” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #193 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Sarasota, Florida
“Loved it...except for the sleeping part.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This was the hotel assigned to me through Priceline's "name your price" deal. I got a really, really great rate.
I immediately came here to check out the reviews and noticed everyone complaining about the road noise so upon check in I made sure to ask for a room furtherst away from the highway.

When I got to the room, I was super impressed. It's very spacious with a small sectional couch seating area and updated decor. The beds and pillows were so, so comfortable. It felt like a little studio. It was hands down the nicest room I have stayed in during my Orlando overnights for work.

I ate dinner at the bar. The food was decent and the service was great. All of the staff members were really nice.

But then there is that road noise.

Even though I was towards the back of the hotel, opposite of the highway and facing the lake, the road noise was relentless. And the trains? Oh my, the trains and their obnoxious noises. It sounded like they were going through the lobby, no joke. Both the highway noise an the trains kept me up the majority of the night.
I am a light sleeper so that was probably part of it but I feel like even if you're a heavier sleeper, the noise would be a bit much.

The only other negatives was the prices of the food were on the high side and the $13 self park rate is a little steep.

I would have LOVED to have made this my home base hotel for my Orlando stays but since sleep quality is the key to a good hotel, I have to say I won't return. I will definitely check out other Crown Plaza hotels elsewhere though!

• Stayed November 2012
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your input. I very happy to hear that you got such great guest service at the Bite Bistro and with our agents at the front desk!

I'm so sorry that noises from the highway and train kept you up when you stayed with us. Like any downtown hotel we are subject to the downtown area noise but clearly your sleep was disturbed because you are a light sleeper so I apologize.

Whenever we have extremely light sleepers at our property our agents can offer a couple of noise solutions just like other hotels in city areas. We have high quality ear plugs and also noise machines that we lend to some of our regulars who need white noise to sleep.

Thank you for all of the positive and constructive feedback. If you are willing to give us another chance to impress you we would be happy to accomodate you during your regular visits to Orlando. Otherwise, I thank you on behalf of all Crowne Plaza hotels for being so loyal to our brand.

Assistant Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 2 nights here as a little weekend excursion and agreed with each other that they miss the mark on a lot of little things. The parking lot is tight and it would be nice if there were posted signs on where to exit. My husband has a large truck and navigating was tough. The service was friendly and helpful but when we got to our room we were a little disappointed. While the view was pretty neat (downtown) the noise from the interstate was loud. A better seal on the doors (which don't open) or something to help would have been nice. The thing that really sticks out in my mind though is the mold in the shower. It looked like they had just caulked but didn't clean certain areas. The grout lines (some) were black. And my husband didn't appreciate that the remote to the tv didn't have menu options so the size of he picture was off and that the phone is across the room so if you're sleeping you have to get up and out of bed to answer or make a call.
Overall not bad for the price, but they could be a lot better by doing simple things.

• Stayed November 2012
We appreciate your response in regards to what we could do better.

The parking lot can be a bit tricky for a larger truck to get in and out. However, we do have another access point that we use for large trailers and trucks to enter the back corner of our lot with plenty of truck parking. We are more than happy to help make parking access easy. Just ask any of our front desk team for assistance.

I see your comment on the seal of the balcony door perhaps being faulty in your room, I have engineering investigating rooms for any seals that may be problematic though this would be the first time it's been an issue.

I'm so sorry that there appeared to be dark spots in the shower. I do assure you that our engineering staff is very seasoned and that they take pride in the upkeep of all rooms and bathroom areas. I have our Chief Engineer investigating this issue to discover the cause and the actual issue at hand.

At our property our agents are always ready to remedy any issue at all, so the next time you visit our location inform us right away when there is any problem and we will get it resolved for you. Thank you again for the suggestions that will surely help us improve even more.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days for Thanksgiving with my family. I was told that this was a 4 star hotel by hotwire, but at best it is a 3 star. First of all, it is located on the outskirts of Downtown Orlando, also known as the ghetto! I wanted to purchase a few snacks from a supermarket less than a mile away, when a man who was standing by the store parking yelled at me saying "nice car". Needless to say, I didnt get out of my car and just left without making a purchase. This hotel is about 9-10 miles away from Universal studios and Islands of adventure, so it is somewhat of a drive. Some of the positives were that the staff at the hotel were always helpful and courteous, free wifi, and everything was always nice and clean. Self parking is an additional $13 fee per night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm happy that our guest service agents were helpful and courteous. We appreciate you choosing us for your Thanksgiving vacation!

As far as our location goes, like most cities, we are close to many different areas being so nearby Interstate 4. The hotel itself is located less than 1 mile and on the same street as Orlando's new Amway Arena. Next to the hotel is the entire downtown area for Orlando including fantastic restaurants, clubs, bars and cafes. The hotel itself is also right next to Lake Eola, the symbol for "The City Beautiful".

The next time you visit make sure to ask our front desk agents for suggestions to locate nearby shopping or dinner suggestions as we are always interested in your satisfaction. We also have a shuttle that goes in a 3 mile radius downtown which includes a nearby mall, downtown itself and shopping for clothes or toiletries.

Feel free to call the hotel to find out more details about the area and the services we offer to help you enjoy your stay the next time you visit.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for vacation and work. The hotel is nice with very big rooms. Biggest problem is it is right next to the interstate and the road noise was loud, enough to keep me up at night and wake up early in the morning. They also charged me for parking, but I did not have a car. They gave me a refund when I called.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad that you enjoyed the rooms at our property. I apologize for the road noise that bothered you during your stay. I am also sorry that we misposted the parking charge onto your room. If there are any other issues with your bill feel free to call our hotel and ask to speak with me and I would be more than happy to assist you.

The next time you are in Orlando ask one of our associates about our upgrades to our King Suites as they have a seperate bedroom and guests have mentioned that those types of rooms are extra quiet. Also, we are investigating the newest technology available to ensure that the handful of guests who are sensitive will have less trouble with road noise.

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in the hotel. The room was large and nice but especially at night it was a little loud because of the highway. The hotel offers a shuttle which drives you downtown and also picks you up again. Breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent hotel.Fabulous room including decor, beds and pillows.Great room service with good pricing. Bistro and bar also good service and choice... happy to help with gluten free requirements.Has a smallish pool as well.WIFI excellent.Half hour drive from the airport. Some road and rail noise as close to the freeway and railway line.
My only criticism is location. Stayed here to attend a concert at the Amway centre two blocks away. Hotel do offer a free shuttle to there or downtown which was great but we couldn't phone them back to pick up as non usa phones ! It's a good 25 minute walk to the Amway centre and 40 minutes Downtown.. a killer in the heat! Also beware the Amway centre only opens a few minutes before a concert... so don't bother going early as there are only a couple of shops and snack bars in the area. Downtown Orlando is also a waste of time with a cinema and a handful of snack bars /restaurants and a carpet shop.. that's it ! No shopping facilities at all.
This hotel is lovely but you definitely need a car to get around. It's twenty mins drive to Universal and thirty mins to Disney.Given the excellent value and price for this hotel it would be a great base to visit the Orlando area as long as you have a car. The price was great and comfort /food excellent.

• Stayed August 2012
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I were in town for a concert at The Social on Orange Avenue. This hotel is conveniently located minutes from this location; it's also real close to the Amway Arena if you're ever attending an event there. The hotel was decorated in a modern way; our rooms were the same. Our room faced the interstate (I4) however we could barely hear the traffic. I had read several reviews about the loud traffic noise and trains so we brought ear plugs just to be on the safe side - didn't need them thank goodness. I think I heard one train but I'm not for certain :-) Bring a pair of ear plugs if you're a very light sleeper just in case. The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was nice, friendly and accomodating. The beds were VERY comfortable with lots of great pillows - we didn't want to get out bed because of the late night concert and the comfortable beds! We asked for a late check out and they let us stay in the room until noon which was greatly appreciated. It was a little strange that there was a microwave but no refrigerator. My thought is the microwave is there to heat up leftovers possibly but there isn't a refrigerator to store leftovers??? Overall we enjoyed our entire stay. Yes, we did have to pay around $13.00 for overnight parking which can get expensive if you're staying there several days. Parking was enclosed in a gated area which we appreciate for safety reasons. The general area of the hotel seemed like a pretty safe place so no concerns there. We give this hotel two thumbs up and would definitely stay here again! I purchased the stay at another website and was able to get the hotel at half price which was a nice bonus. :-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown? Share your experiences!