“Overall not a bad place to stay...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #247 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
norton, ma
“Overall not a bad place to stay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from June 10 through the 14th. He was here on a business trip and I came along for company. The pool was clear and warm, though I did notice that it could have used a good vacuuming at the bottom in some locations. Towels were plentiful and the lounge chairs were comfortable. I especially enjoyed the cabanas that gave one some relief from the sun. Our room was clean, had an apartment size fridge and cute little kitchenette area. The air conditioning wasn't working as well as it should, the bedroom always seemed a little warm and I had to keep closing the draperies to keep the room cooler. I did let the front desk know twice that the AC should be checked out and both times I was promised it would be, but never got a confirmation that it was looked at nor were we asked at checkout, so my guess would be it was ignored. Honestly, I really didn't want to spend my whole vacation dealing with it...the room wasn't hot, but it wasn't the ice cold one would expect. It is possible that being on the 5th floor and the 95 degree days had something to do with it. The tub really needed to be replaced...wasn't dirty, but def needed an upgrade. Also, wasn't to keen on the bathroom sink being outside the bathroom itself. The breakfast was nice....but I agree that more variety should be considered...only so much scrambled eggs one can eat! I used the laundry facilities one day...$2 per load for both washer and dryer plus $1 per individual box of detergent and dryer sheets....which wasn't to bad. The store was convenient and prices were adequate, but it would have been nice for the tax to be included in the price. One observation....shuttle buses to the parks are very limited. Not very convenient if you have kids and want to come back before the shuttle buses are due to arrive. Shuttle buses leave around 9 or 10 in the morning and don't return until 7 or 10ish, depending on the park. Get a rental car so that you can come back and forth as much as you want to.

Room Tip: Very long halls. If you have trouble walking, get a room more in the middle. Elevators are at the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Tysonsmom,
Thank you for your candid and lengthy review regarding your stay here recently.Let me assure you that comments such as yours assist us in making further improvements to our hotel so thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your observations.We look forward to having you back and making your stay even better.
Binta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montgomery, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

At first I thought about giving this hotel a terrible rating, but I think that rating should be reserved for the really terrible experiences, like bedbugs or employees stealing from you. I'm not hard to please. As long as the hotel is clean and has everything they say they have, then I'm okay. They did have everything they said they had, although the refrigerater was smaller than the pics. Clean? Not at all. The bathtub had bluish stains on them that would not come out even after scrubbing with bleach (I brought cleaning supplies just in case). Three sets of sheets had stains on them that looked like blood. The toilet had to be flushed 2 or 3 times to go down. The light in the bathroom wouldn't come on the last night of our stay -it was too late to call maintenance (we were tired from parks)- not even when my husband tried to tinker with it. Therefore we had to use toilet/take showers in the dark or with the door open. I should have definitely listened to previous reviewers, because just like one of them said, we walked into our room and everything looked great at first glance. After a few minutes everyone was freezing, so I turned off the air conditioning. Mistake. The room had a terrible odor, like an earlier reviewer said. After several trips back and forth I could smell the odor getting off the elevator and wondered why I didn't smell it the first time. I have stayed at other hotels for this price range and they were a lot better. Just in case you were wondering, flat screen tvs were not HD, and breakfast was terrible. Everything looked and tasted fake. And to add insult to injury, the HOTEL charges a resort fee of $4.95 a night. Resort?! I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Kenyatta,
Thank you for your detailed review.Just as many previous reviewers had commented,we provide clean,spacious accomodations,especially for a family of five such as yourself, at affordable prices.In addition we provide many complimentary services as well as a having a great courtyard pool area.I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the resort but this was clearly indicated to you by your travel agent and your comfirmation letter.
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Hotel is in a nice location but could go for some updating and management could go for an attitude adjustment. Foreigners running the show that have no clue on customer service, just want the greenbacks. They went into my bank account and yanked $50 a week after our stay for a deposit because they claimed that there was a koolaid stain on the comforter, my family doesn't drink koolaid but they did not care to listen when I tried to explain. Was going to give a decent review but the manager's attitude and unprofessionalism kicked that to the curb. There are other hotels in the area, hopefully they have nicer people behind the counter. If you stay here watch your bank account, $50 is not a ton of money but it's the principle and not communicating with me about this issue, beware.

Room Tip: The value is pretty good for the room but just watch your account after you leave, a week or two aft...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nicole,
I am happy to read that you were going to give us a positive review and that you did find our location to be nice.Whilst I can understand your frustrations in regards to the damages,I hope you too can understand our actions.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for a conference at the Orange County Convention Center. For the most part it was decent. I got a good price through the event. The room was nice, but the tub could have been a little cleaner. (It was not a mess, just thought the tub could have been cleaner) It was a nice surprise to find we had a suite, the room had a full size refrigerator, a stove top and kitchen sink. The air conditioner did not seem to be working at its' best and there was only a powered vent to cool down the bedroom area from the living room.

The breakfast was decent enough, I would have liked a wider selection but it was happy with it. It is close to the attractions and some shuttle service is provided.

The pool was OK and quite refreshing when I got to use it. Whe the towels ran out, they were quick to replace them.

I would stay here again, but I might try somewhere else first.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear AVguy77,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.Let me assure you we are continuing to make improvements to the hotel to make every stay most comfortable.I hope you will be able to return again and see our enhancements.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at Hawthorn Suites from 21st May-4th June 2013.

Location is good at the south end of I.Drive. There is an I.Ride and Lynx bus stop right outside. It is a 10 minute walk from Seaworld where the number 50 lynx bus will take you to Disney. There are some places to eat and get groceries 5 mins walk away but often it’s cheaper to go further up I.drive.

Breakfast serves from 7-9. There was never much of a queue and always enough tables spare. There was a variety of cereal, breads, fruit, pancakes, sausage and egg everyday. The quality and temperature of food served is okay.

The room was great, we could hardly fault it. Size was excellent with a large king size bed and wardrobe (could have done with a few more hangers), a flat screen TV and a safe deposit box. The lounge area had 2 hobs, microwave, sink, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, dryer and a large fridge/freezer. There was also a pull out sofa, table and chairs and another flat screen TV. The was A/C units in both the room and lounge area which worked very well. Between the lounge and bedroom there was a sink area with a hair dryer and enough space to put all your toiletries. The bathroom itself was okay size but could have been refurbished. There were cracks on the bathtub and the edges were grimy. The shower was always leaking water. The room included a book which gave you lots of information about the room and the hotel and a list of fees for using the room phone.

Our room was cleaned everyday of the stay including Memorial Day. They provided us with fresh bins, towels, soap and shampoo everyday. The only complaint with housekeeping is that when we left dirty cutlery in the room they would take it away and not replace them.

The game room is small- only four old looking machines. They are quite cheap to use though. The pool area is nice to relax in and never gets too busy. The pool itself was okay size and was clean (but could have benefited by looking cleaner with a refurb). The hot tub was cosy and very warm. We didn't use the bar but the happy hour of 2for1 cocktails did look appealing.

There is a free shuttle to the parks but we wanted to be there from park opening to close- so it was much better for us to use Lynx buses. There is a small shop in the hotel where you can buy food and a vending machine for drinks.

The front desk staff could have been more welcoming. When we asked them for more cutlery it took two phone calls and a 45 minute wait to get some.

You have to pay $50 deposit when you check in. My serious advice is that you PAY THIS IN CASH. We paid by card, and noticed on a bank statement they’d taken two lots of 50 out. The desk said it was a mistake- the excuse being that my bank hadn't released the money straight away, so they'd tried again, but then it was released so 100 dollars got taken out. I couldn't believe they had taken more money off our card without even telling us. But after 4 working days (the time they said it would take to go back in my account), I still didn't have it. On the last day of the holiday they said it still hadn't been released back to me because the name I’d booked the room under and the card name I’d paid with were different. Whatever the reason, the staff didn’t seem to care about the problem one bit and never once apologised for the inconvenience. Anyway, I’ve been home for over a week now and still haven’t got my money back!

Overall, this hotel is good for the rate you pay. The room is the best part of it and I would recommend it for people travelling on a budget. But service could be better!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Nicola,
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive review.I am happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.Let me apologize sincerely for the issues with your credit card but I can assure you that none of the funds were taken out and incidental holds are released upon check-out but can take a while depending on banks and card issuers particularly on international transactions.Thank you again for your comments and let me if your issue regarding the credit card hold is not resolved so that I can personally get the matter taken care of quickly.
San Fernando La Union, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

stayed here with wife and kids and an aunt during our visit to disney and surrounding attractions. we had a room with 2 beds and a separate living area. the room is ok for the price ( we got it discounted thru AAA ). location is good with a lot of dining and restaurants nearby.

breakfast was a bit lacking in variety, service was ok.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write your review.I am happy to read that you found our location to be convenient to area attractions and dining and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay better than just ok.
Alloa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Hi stayed for 2 weeks in May at this hotel.

It is near SeaWorld on the South side of International Drive, stop 30 on the I Trolley.
not the best location but there are some places to eat within walking distance. The I trolley does pass every 20 minutes and there is plenty only a few stops away.

The rooms were clean and ok, fridges, microwaves etc, our group had 1 double suite and 2 bedroom suite. Safe in rooms free, hairdryers, iron, ice buckets etc.

They were spacious but could be modernised.. The breakfast was to be honest much the same for the 2 weeks and the choice could be better.

There is a little shop run by the hotel but I felt they could do more. If you are having a pool day not much in hotel during the day.

The Family Restaurant is only 2 mins away and offers takeaway food and sit in is great, try the pies - fab.

The bar was to be honest a hit or miss. There is a happy hour between 4 and 7pm, buy one get one free. The choice if ok but again could be made better, some music, better cocktails and service. The bar was closed some night by 8pm, and not opened much past 10pm! Very sporadic so hard to rely on it. This needs improving a lot.

Nothing fantastic to say but also nothing too bad happened. Value hotel. There is better.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 2 bedroom cost extra $430!.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Lesley,
Thank you for letting us know of your experience here recently.Your comments are very important to us so that we may continue to make upgrades and improvements in all areas of our facility and service.We hope you will be able to stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to make your vacation fantastic.
Kewal

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando, Westwood Blvd? Share your experiences!