“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
West Windsor, NJ
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We stayed at Marriott’s Grande Vista (MGV) from June 10 to 17, 2006. The unit assigned to us was a two-bedroom condo located on 4th floor in Building Number 85 “Christobal” facing the lake. MGV is a timeshare property rather than a regular hotel, so our unit is equipped with a full kitchen (with tableware and cookware), living room, dining area, and washer/dryer. Our party consists of four adults and one two-year-old child. During our trip, we encountered Tropical Storm Alberto and it rained heavily at times for a couple of days. We utlized the kitchen to make a few meals together and played some games in the living room. If we have stayed in a regular hotel room, it would not be possible.

Our experience with MGV was positive on the whole with a minor annoyance as described as follows.

1. Location: MGV is located next to a golf course on International Drive. It is 12 miles away from Walt Disney World and right next to Sea World. We tried both I-4 and State Route 536 to get to Disney. We would recommend State Route 536 since it is more straight-forward (just two turns) and faster (never congested).

2. Check-In and Check-Out: Both went very smoothly. It took us less than five minutes to check in and one minute to check out. Since the check-in time was 4pm and we arrived at 12pm, the room was not ready. The staff helped us store our bottled water and apple juice that we bought at local supermarket. When we returned to the hotel close to mid-night, the bell service personnel retrieved all the stuffs for us. We were pleasantly surprised that they have put the apple juice in the refrigerator although it was not necessary.

3. Rooms: The rooms were equipped with nice furniture and screened-in balcony. The rooms, especially the guest bedroom, were a little bit smaller compared to other Marriott timeshare properties we have stayed before, but they were still spacious enough for five of us. The rooms look clean as the building is new. However, while I was busy putting the stuffs into the refrigerator right after we first got into the room, I heard my wife calling for help in the master bathroom. There was a two-inch long cockroach in the shower stall. I killed it with my shoe. Three days later, my wife found another one in the closet, but this time it got away. I placed a phone call to the front desk. The staff apologized immediately and asked us whether we want to change to another room. Since I knew that our room probably was located in the best section of the entire hotel, I declined. Then the staff told me that she would tell the maintenance department to spray the room. I did not really know if indeed anything has been done, but we did not encounter another bug problem inside the rooms. Since the main purpose of this trip was to attend a conference, I also went to Disney’s Contemporary Resort. I saw a two-inch cockroach crawling on the floor just outside the convention area. So I guess bug is a common issue in Orlando during the summer season.

4. Maid Services: Since we exchanged our stay from one of the timeshare we own rather than paying for it, we did not receive daily maid services, which was a standard practice in timeshare industry. However, we did place a phone call asking for fresh towels while we were in Magic Kingdom. When we got back to our rooms, a pile of towels was placed on our couch with a note telling us if we need anything else, just give them a call.

5. Facilities: There were a few swimming pools, whirlpool spas, paddle boat/bike rental, lighthouse bar, a couple of restaurants, convenience store “Market Place”, and Activities Center on site. There were many planned activities such as fishing competition, paddle boat racing, etc. We did not use any of these facilities as we spent most of our time in Disney except one morning my wife brought our daughter to the playroom, and she has lots of fun there.

6. Noise: We did not notice any noise from the construction of the two more buildings at Grande Vista.

7. Wireless Internet Access: MGV offers free wireless Internet access. The connection was excellent throughout our stay.

We would go back to Grande Vista and recommend it to others. We also have taken some photos. Hopefully they would be helpful to you.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
Murphysboro, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

My family (2 adults, 3 teen children, Mother in law, and family friend) exchanged our time share to stay at MGV 06/11-06/18/2006. We were placed in a nice 3 bedroom condo (9301-9302) and I must say the grounds and the rooms were perfect. I was also nice to find on site ativities to attend for those who are not theme park goers.

The pools were nice and well located throughout the property although I must say that the maintenance on the pools were lacking. There were always an abundance of bugs and critters swilling about to make you swin the other direction.

The service on the other hand was greatly lacking. After reporting that a soap dish in the shower was broken and that there were jagged edges apparent, the maintenance staff never made an appearance. The first trip to the bar, they were "out" of wanted items. There was plenty of time to ask to see the sales pitch, but no time to do other things. The rooms have a dust pan and no broom. The staff is polite, but could care less about you. We asked to obtain a volleyball to play on the beach and the staff member advised us that the one ball they had was checked out and they had no idea where it was. It surprised me that a resort of this size and caliber, had only one ball.

Everything had a charge to go with it, kinds of makes me wonder why someone would pay for ownership, and what comes with it. Come on folks $6.00 to rent a fishing pole is ridiculous.

The final straw for me was on Friday night I purchased a beer in a souvenier glass at ne bar, and when we decided to sit by a pool near the other bar I attempted to have it refilled, and the bartender told be they had no beer, and had none all day. It is Friday night and a bar has no beer, and none all day. The lack of attention to this type of detail is inexcusible.

I did make a call to managment and spoke with Mr. Mullin who was wonderful to talk to and could not apologize enough. I had the true feeling that he would immediately recitfy the problems mentioned so that other guests would not have to deal with it.

I can recommend the MGV only if you only plan on staying in the room. The general staff, although friendly and courteous, could care less about your stay and comfort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

I have traveled a lot in my years and I must say that this was one of the most beautiful and immaculate resorts I have ever stayed in. I thought I would get online and check out the comments about this place after we got back (since I didn't look before). I cannot believe the terrible times that some people on this comment board had at this resort! I was greeted by the manager as I walked in the door and never went without a thing the entire visit. I felt like a VIP the entire vacation and everyone else did also. This place must have new management from the previous years because we stayed in the 9400 building , which is one of the older buildings, and it was wonderful. I hope the people who read the bad reveiews will read this one because it really is a resort that you do not have to leave the whole week to have a great time. We're going to keep going back!!!!

Mineral Ridge, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

after staying at the Grande Vista resort before, it was one of our favorite resorts, however after this stay, we will not be staying there again. check in was great! we actually got in early, however things just seemed to go downhill from there. the first room in which we were assigned to was absolutely disgusting. it had a terrible odor that you would have thought that housekeeping would have reported so that no guests would be assigned there, however that was not the case. we were then assigned to a different room which was very dated. the floor in the living room was wet and we were told that it was wet because of the rain or even the outside sprinkler system, which is abusured. there is no way that much water could have entered the unit!! the carpeting in the unit was very dirty, the baseboards in the bathrooms was cracked and broken, the tables in the living room has huge chips in them, the showers were small and the shower heads were not very nice, and the refrigerator was rusting!!!! all of which is unacceptable marriot quality!!! however, later that same evening, a picture fell off the wall in the kitchen and sprawled glass all over the kitchen. we called the front desk to have someone come and clean it up, but no one ever came. over three hours later, three phone calls, and two trips to the front desk, the last trip which entailed bringing the broken picture and the glass we finally got someone to send someone up to the unit to vacuum because we have small children and were concerned about the glass hurting them. anyways, we were told by manager bill that the resort was almost completely booked and they were shorthanded. we were ensured by bill that he would call us later in the week to see if there was anything that he could do for us, but that phone call never came. we did get two or three calls about touring the resort, which after this trip, have no interest in and told them so the first call, however they continued calling wanting us to tour.

all in all, i am very dissatisfied and disappointed by the Grande Vista resort. i expected much, much more.

hagerstown, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

We stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista for a week from May 26 to June 2, 2006.
Our stay was very enjoyable. I made a special request for a room, and the staff did everything they could to accommodate this. Everyone was very friendly during check-in. I called to ask for the free starter pack of coffee and some extra towels on our second day, and two people showed up within an hour, one with towels and one with the coffee!!! The concierge was helpful in giving us information about restaurants- he even made a reservation for us, and gave us a coupon for a free drink.
To me, the accommodations here were great. There is a new pool and and bar/restaurant called copa loco. THey have decent food and you can get a drink right by the pool, with waitresses walking around right to your chair to bring your drink/food order as you sit in the sun. There is a heated pool and one for kids. Then you walk across a beautiful bridge and go to the old pool. It is nice as well. Over here, you have a lady sitting selling drinks in a large wooden coconut-shaped souvenir, or beer on tap, as well as hairbraiding. The marketplace store is right there, with snacks and suntan lotion, etc. Beside this is a pizza shop. The man made lake, with the bridge, is really nice. You can rent paddle boats shaped like ducks or swans for ten dollars for a half an hour. There is enough in this resort that you could probably stay here the whole week and not even go anywhere! You could swim, get a massage, rent a paddle boat, fish, eat at one of three places, shop in the marketplace, etc. There is a great ambience to the whole place.
We were in building 85, near the new pool, but any building you stay in would be okay. The resort is set off from a highway, so there isn't much noise. They are constructing two new buildings, but there was nothing loud going on while we were there, even in the day. The location is beautiful, and all the buildings are in good shape and look like spanish villas. Building 85 did have some elevator problems.
I read all the reviews to this place, and what I say to these is that some people will have problems with anything. I think if you are courteous and decent when making your requests and dealing with the staff, they will treat you the same way. I found that anything they could do to help they were willing to do. I didn't see inside all the rooms, so I don't know what the condition would be of those. However, our room was quite nice. We had an efficiency, and it had enough room for two of us. There was a bed, sofa, and ample closet space, as well as refrigerator and microwave. When I saw the pictures online, I thought it would be s maller than it was. I was pleasantly surprised. The greatest thing is that each room has a balcony. This was quite enjoyable.
Here are some other tips about orlando-
The shark restaurant in seaworld is really nice, with a great view from any table, however I had some problems getting my steak cooked medium well. They did apologize and try to remedy the situation. Also, the restaurant at downtown disney called fulton's crabhouse is supposed to be incredible. The food was very pricey, and they tried twice to cook my steak medium well- once it was burnt and the next time it was medium at best. The waiter was also somewhat rude. The manager did deal with this and deeply apologize. I tend to have bad luck with steaks on vacation- maybe try something else on the menu.
At epcot in disney- get a fast pass and go back to the rides that have along line- just go to the entrance of the ride and do the fast pass.
If you are going to seaworld or busch gardens- join southwest(--) rapid rewards- you can get a card and it entitles you to 20% discount to each park!!!!
Or, buy at least seven days in advance on their websites to save $6 per ticket.
There is also a combo ticket for $95 on some websites.
If you go to Kennedy Space Center, plan to have all day available. We went at noon and had trouble seeing everything.
Triple A has discount tickets to most parks including kennedy space center as well.
Hope you all have a wonderful trip!!!!

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

We stayed at the MGV from May 26-06/1 in a 3B/3B. I was traveling with a group of 10 - 7 adults, 3 children ages 3,4,5. We came a long way to stay at this resort and I have been reading the past reviews hoping I would have a positive experience.

I requested in advance for a refurbished room however, Maggie at room control said the new refurbed rooms are reserved for Marriott timeshare owners. We were assigned to the Lago building, 4th floor. The 2 bedrooms were nice however the 3rd bedroom had an odor of mildew/mold. The appliances/tableware were dated, the kitchen floor & fridge was sticky, the dirt was visible in the grout in all the restrooms, and the tub drain in the 2nd bath was rusted. During our first 2 nights, cockroaches were discovered on the floor of our villa. At this point, I went to the registration and requested that we move to another building. They could not accomodate another 3B/3B in a newer unit, so our party seperated to 2 different buildings, Ibiza and Magellan. The two newer units were definitely nicer, new appliances/tableware, cleaner, without any odor.

The overall ground of the property was really nice. There are many activities on the property for the entire family. While the kids were swimming, I went for a massage. The one hour swedish massage I had was not worth $85. The massage room was in the workout facility so while I was getting my treatment, I could hear the treadmills and music in the next room. Another disappointing factor was the lack of parking. If you arrived late night, you were lucky to find parking near your building. The Marketplace had everything you could possibly imagine, Krispy Kreme donuts and Pizza Hut at reasonable prices.

I would stay at the MGV resort only if I was guaranteed a new refurbed room.

Note: The staff mentioned that this resort is the largest of all Marriott resorts in the world.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

Our family stayed at the Marriott's Grande Vista from May 5th to the 19th 2006. It is one of the best Time share places I have stayed at so far. It is an ideal place for families as there are many activities for all ages (including adults) going on through out the day and night. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in the Ibiza building which over looked the golf course with lovely views.

The accomodation was lovely, clean and very comfortable. It had everything you needed for your stay. The bedrooms were very spacious, and both had their own private bathrooms balconys. I am very 'picky' when it comes to holiday accommodation. Everything has to be to a high standard when I go on vacation. At the Marriott's Grande Vista everything was perfect and we had no cause to complain about anything. If I return to Orlando in the near future I would stay here again and again, no doubt.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Marriott's Grande Vista? Share your experiences!