“Grande Vista was grand!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #49 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
“Grande Vista was grand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

stayed there with my family over the 4th of july weekend. the staff were very friendly. getting tickets to the attractions was painless! close to the orlando scene on international dr. lots of buffets, so its easy to budget the days spending. defintely would stay again. already planning for next year!

Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

The Grande Vista was a very nice and very beautiful place to stay. When we arrived we requested an upper level pool view, and that is exactly what we got and it was 10pm when we arrived. We had a two bedroom refurbished villa in the Conquistador Building with living room, kitchen (w/stove, and full size refrigerator), dining area and two bathrooms. During our stay the staff at the resort was great. It took less than five minutes to check in! Everytime we requested something such as additional towels, the request was taken care of right away, and they would call later in the day to make sure you got what you wanted. The resort is huge and has everything you could think of. It has several pools all of which are very nice, a convenience store, a pizza hut, a casual restaurant, a lighthouse bar, a fitness center, kids play area, etc.... I've noticed some of the other reviews have mentioned bugs in the rooms. We stayed at the resort for 8 days, had two rooms and never saw one bug in either room. The only problem we had at the resort during the whole stay was the first night there was a problem with the air conditioner not working properly. We arrived about 10pm and just decided to call about it the next day, and when we called it was fixed a few hours later. It ended up just being a blown fuse. The resort is also very close to all the major attractions, less than five minutes from Sea World and Discovery Cove, about 10-15 minutes from Disney, about an hour from Daytona, and very close to several restaurants on International Drive. Overall the Grande Vista was great, the few people that actually posted negative reviews must be extremely hard to please.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Marriott Grand Vista for our first vacation. The stay was excellent. View had beautiful vista views. The amenities were great. Room services was there any time of the day. They have a few diffrent pools along with a hot tub and sauna to enjoy. Convient store was very stocked. This hotel is near from most attrations, like Sea World is less than a mile away. This place was the best. We plan on coming again with our family one day.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2005

I stayed at the Grande Vista June 17-21, 2005. Check-in took about 10 minutes (check in is at 4:00), and they have express check out, so all you have to do is call and tell the concierge that you're leaving. I didn't charge any incidentals so I had no balance to settle. The property was beautiful. We (2 adults, 2 kids) had a studio (king bed and queen pull-out sofa), and were more than comfortable. There was a screened-in patio, and a kitchenette that was more than sufficient (small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, sink). The bathroom was a nice size. I suggest that you rent a car (we had a van). The van was very convenient to drive to Publix for coffee, breakfast food, snacks and drinks, and to the nearby restaurants. There are MANY places to grocery shop, eat out, and shop along International Drive. Sea World is down the street, and Disney is a short drive away. I could not get a refurbished building since I was a guest, using the $199.00 Continental time-share presentation special. However, my room was great, and we had maid service every day. We got fresh towels every time I asked for them (which was often), as well as ice. The staff was accommodating, and every time I made a request for something, I received a follow up call from the front desk making sure that I got what I asked for. The kids stayed at the pool area when they were not at Disney. The main pool area is very nice. I requested a room near the main pool and got building 94, which is directly across the way. The BEST thing was that I did not have to endure the 90-minute time share sales pitch. I went to my obligatory presentation appointment and told the salesperson up front that I was NOT interested in buying a timeshare; that I was simply there because I had to be. He quickly showed me a model and let me go; no pressure. Short and sweet. You can't beat this resort for $199.00. It was great! I have very high travel accommodation standards and I was not disappointed. Orlando is NOT Hawaii, so you will not have the same Hawaiian luxury experience, but you WILL have a GREAT time at Grande Vista.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2005

Our family stayed here from June 11-17, 2005 and we all loved it! We had 3 units in Building 98, the Conquistador, 2nd floor. We had a 2 bedroom, a 1 bedroom, and a studio under 3 separate reservations (I got 2 through Interval International and the studio through a timeshare presentation offer) and they were able to get us all on the same floor in the same building. I did request refurbished rooms and was not disappointed. All units were spacious, clean and nicely, tastefully furnished, although you could tell the bath and kitchen fixtures and tile weren't brand new. Still, they were very nicely maintained, so no complaints. The location we had was perfect: away from the noise of some of the pools so it was quiet, overlooking the golf course, but close enough to a smaller pool to allow a quick dip before dinner. We dined only in our units or at the theme parks, so we did not enjoy the reasonably priced Nick's Grill, but would definitely try it on a next visit. The housekeeping works like this: daily if you are a renting guest, once a week for Marriott owners, and only if you request and pay for it for Interval exchangers. They did bring extra towels or paper towels/toiletries if you ask them to, free of charge, although sometimes it took a while.

The resort is absolutely kid-friendly, but doesn't compromise for the adults, either. The kid activities are plenty and many are free, although with our busy schedule of trying to get in all 4 Disney theme parks in one week, we were not able to partake in the resort activities. We did hit the pools- the Vista del Sol pool is definitely a can't miss with the kids, as is the Village Center pool. The pool near our building was a hit with my daughters, 6 and 2, because it was quieter. The true highlight for the kids was the amazing playplace climbing structure- WAY better than a McDonald's or Chuck E Cheese and cleaner, too! The things that looked amazing but we didn't have time for: golfing, tennis, duck and swan paddleboats, four person bicycles, free family photography for guests, aerobics, smore's night. When you check in, they give you a weekly schedule of all activities, and it's extensive.

The grounds are large and sprawling, and that is one of the things I liked about the resort....it's gorgeous and spread out. None of the buildings are much taller than the palm trees and all direct you to golf course or pool views, with no parking lot views. All the resort amenities are either a short walk from each other or a slightly longer, beautiful walk away. The buildings are a way off of International Drive, through a protected forest area, so no road noise at all. You feel secure having to pass through the gatehouse before entering the resort buildings area. While they have a free shuttle to get you from different areas of the resort, you are out of luck getting beyond the front drive without a car. Renting a car was pretty cheap (one week full-size for $131 through Dollar) and Disney has $8/car parking with in/out privileges so you can come back after a nap and not pay again. The resort will call a taxi (about $30 to Disney) or the Mears Shuttle (about $15 per person roundtrip- a crime!) but both were lots more expensive than piling everyone in the car and driving yourself. The local Publix was a short, easy drive away. Also, no one tells you this but there are two $.75 tolls from the airport to the resort and back, so have some change or small bills!

The timeshare presentation was fairly painless, and definitely no pressure. Ours took a little over 2 hours, but mostly because we were talking with our salesperson who was very nice and an ex-semiprofessional English football player (Mark Bulmer). If you have kids, bring 'em, as they can give you your presentation in the kid's play room. They had two rooms with videos, Nintendo, coloring and toys, so it was nice not to have to worry about the kids. They like riding the golf cart to see the model, too.

Coming to Orlando in June is a hot and sticky proposition, with thunderstorms daily, so we used the washer/dryer every day. Be sure to buy one bottle of cheap detergent at Publix the first day. (Publix was a lot cheaper than the Marketplace store on site for almost everything).

We would definitely stay again, next time to also fully enjoy the resort amenities instead of just the theme parks.

oxnard, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

My friend owns a timeshare at the Marriott GV and invited me and another friend for a mini-reunion. We had 6 children w/us (ages 2-10) and a 3 bedroom villa. The villa was on the ground floor - great for the kids but it was musty and dark. There weren't any screens on the windows to allow us to open them. We turned up the AC when we left the room to sort of dehumidify the place and it helped. But the floorplan was great and it never seemed crowded even w/9 of us!

All of the employees we encountered were helpful and very accomodating w/our lg. group. They seemed to really like kids and weren't just tolerating them! We had lunch at Nick's on the first day and our children, although well-behaved, were pretty chatty and the staff noted that it was a nice change from the quiet. The bellman - Michael drove us to Nick's in the hotel van and when we called him for a ride back to the room, we showed up in a big golf cart. The kids loved it.

We especially loved the main pool - it had something for everyone - a small wading pool for the under 3's, a fountain, and a large pool. Nearby was a convenience store w/snacks, ice cream and pizza. There are other pools, I think, but we never went there. We also had plans to put the older kids in the kids activities but we never got to. We were so busy that it wasn't necessary!

They told us about the Publix supermarket and we stocked up on water and breakfast food and sandwich fixings. I'm glad we did because there were a couple of days when we got back late and we were too tired to go out for food. There are restaurants nearby on International Drive.

A car was necessary to get around to Disney World and stores but they weren't too far of a drive. One tip: I was quoted $330 to rent a minivan for 5 days from Budget and when I asked if that was their lowest rate, the reservationist asked me if I had a Costco card. I did and the rate went down to $130. Amazing.

Overall, our experience was an excellent one. I'm even tempted to look into buying a timeshare there myself. I would, however, make sure I request a more updated room and maybe on a second floor.

Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

We just spent a wonderful Memorial Holiday week at this beautiful resort. We had a two bedroom condo that was very nice. We stayed at the St. Augustine building, (number 99 I think). It had been refurbished and was very nice. It was fairly clean, few dust bunnies hiding out, but not bad at all. I don't know where some of the bad reviews are coming from. I was worried after reading some of the past reviews, but I have very few complaints. We did request more towels from the lady who called to ask if we wanted to attend a informative tour and never received them. I don't think housekeeping got the note. We also went to the front desk to get disney tickets and they were sold out, but no big deal. The grounds are beautiful. Our balcony overlooked the golf course and driving range. It was very relaxing after a long day. We had a screened in balcony with a ceiling fan/light. Our daughter had a regular balcony with no screen. Daughter and son shared the bedroom, which had a queen bed and a sofa bed along with a mini fridge, mini microwave, etc. The pools at the resort are wonderful, and the hot tub is hot! Yes, there were kids around, but we enjoyed watching them. Didn't really see any misbehaving etc. (our kids are 23 and 13). The kitchen is fully equipped with even a blender. Came in handy for those margarita's on the balcony!
If you're thinking of staying at this resort----do it!

Been to Marriott's Grande Vista? Share your experiences!