“abomination” 1 of 5 stars
Review of StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando

You added StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando to your Saves list
StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7601 Canada Avenue, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Universal)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #156 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Tampa, Florida
“abomination”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

this place is a disaster- first i got there late morning i always try to ck in early because almost always there are rooms ready - so i walk in and the clerk has a look on her face like "what the hell do you want ck in is a 3" sure enough when i told her i wanted to ck in she said "ck in is at 3"- so i said all the rooms dont become available at the same time- can you ck if the room is ready she says "im sure it isnt" then she says "oh it is ready (strike one) i had paid for the room in advance on line- she asks for the credit card then shows me an invoice that she $700 plus dollars i told her i paid for the room in advance and that amount was double the rate- she asked another clerk since she had no clue- the other clerk told me it would be corrected- the next morning i checked my statement and there was 2 charges for the room it was duplicated there was another charge for $748 put thro at the same time- i went down to the desk the guy on duty said the manager wb in shortly he would call me- i waited all day no call went down again in the afternoon- they said the duplicate or triplicate would be reversed- no apology nothing they were annoyed i even asked about it the next day it still had not been reversed
aside from that the furniture is frayed the doors squeeked so loudly it woke my wife up
we had a lovely view of the garbage dumpster with open covers and a view of a nice pool unfortunately it was the pool at the hotel next door- the crown plaza maybe I should hv stayed there

Room Tip: not over looking the garbage cans
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
StaySkyHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for writing a review about our resort. We take our guests’ experience very seriously, and we are saddened to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay with us. We truly apologize for the mistakes with the charges. Please message us privately if you still need any assistance correcting the duplicate charge and we will be happy to help you. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed over the Easter holidays so it was busy in Orlando. The hotel was just off international drive so it was nice and quiet, but really easy walking distance of everything on Idrive. Location for me was great.
The shuttle to Disney goes to Universal first, the opposite direction to Disney, so it takes forever, and it drops you at Epcot so you then have to transfer to the Park you want - if you rely on the shuttle you are wasting a lot of your holiday time on a rackety old bus.
The hotel was clean and had good facilities in the rooms, good kitchenettes, although there was no coffee for the first week and then when they got coffee housekeeping never left any in our room.
The rooms were nice and quiet - we didn't hear the neighbours through the walls at any point.
There were 2 evenings in our stay when the water was off, once is unfortunate, twice is a bit odd.
Some staff were really helpful and friendly but two separate staff were really unhelpful, so they could do with some consistency on this front.
We called down for a few items to be delivered to our room, a baby cot which we had requested in our booking but hadn't been put in our room, a dish cloth because the maid had taken it and not replaced it etc. on every occasion we had to call twice before the item was brought up. Not a big problem, but annoying waiting around for ages deciding whether or not to call again.
We were able to lock our suitcases in a room after check out without any trouble which was really helpful.
The pool area was well kept.
Although it's a small pool it wasn't used by many so we had sun beds / seats every time we used it.
Overall, most staff were good, facilities were good and it was fair accommodation for the price. A few minor changes could make it a great hotel.

Stayed April 2015
StaySkyHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad to hear you liked our location our pool and our quiet rooms! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I asked if the eggs had milk in them, I didn't expect the hotel employee to offer to make me milk-free eggs, but she did! They were excellent!
The hotel also stowed our bags for us all day both on arrival and on departure.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
StaySkyHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the 5-star review! It makes our day when we hear a guest say that one of our team members went above and beyond to help make their stay more comfortable! We are very happy to hear that we were able to impress you, and we look forward to hosting you again on your next vacation!
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just returned from staying at this hotel, I must say nothing was too much trouble for the staff there. The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily, fresh towels are put in every day and fresh toiletries are put in room, we had most of our dealing with Matt on reception who was always polite. On getting there our safe key was not there but they had someone come up straight away and put a new lock on safe with a new key. Would definitely go to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
StaySkyHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We are very glad you enjoyed our hotel accommodations and had a great experience with our friendly staff. We'll be sure to tell Matt that he has impressed you. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we hope to see you again soon!
Maple Valley, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently stayed there during our visit to the Universal Studios.
The front desk staff are super friendly and helpful. There are the reason I gave it 4 starts!
The rooms are clean but I think there could be some improvement on the daily clean up, some days it looked as if our room had been barely straightened up.
The breakfast buffet is nice, fresh fruit would be a nice addition though, only had bananas one morning, other days there were canned fruits - not fresh.
the swimming pool is small but quiet.

The shuttle service while free is to be avoided. The shuttle came in late, the bus was already full by the time it got to our hotel and it had one more stop to make. By the time evrybody was on board we were all crammed in hot stuffy and smelly bus. We did not get to universal until 10am (opens at 9am) and the lines were already long everywhere. The shuttle leaves way too early in the afternoon. The driver was rude.
We opted for a taxi on the way back and all following days.

I used the business center for a few business calls while during our stay. I closed the door to avoid the background music and noise from the lobby. 3 times employees and came in and re-opened the door. The fourth time I asked what the problem was with the door being. I was told that it prevented other guest to find the room. If the intent of a business center is to provide a place where guest can work in quiet then surely they should be allowed to close the door. Just put a sign on the door that says "business center" and everyone will be able to find it!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
We are glad you found our staff helpful and friendly, and we thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the other aspects of your stay. We depend on our guests' feedback to continue to improve our services, so we appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We hope to host you again on you next vacation.
Tarpon Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We loved this hotel. We stayed in Room 119 suite, first floor. It was $99.00 per night booked directly with Matt at the front desk who was wonderful to deal with on the phone and in person when we checked in. The room was a short distance to the pool area, breakfast dining area and front lobby. It was nice, 2 queen beds, there was a small fully equipped kitchen, small dishwasher, freezer & reg sized refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster & small burner to cook on if needed. Our room and the hotel were fresh smelling and clean. Beds were really comfortable.I have a really bad back and knees and slept like a baby waking up refreshed each morning. The sheets were soft and fresh smelling. I usually take my own pillow and sheets to sleep on and never once took them out of my suitcase. Housekeeping even asked us if we needed anything which we did not. There are more than enough towels in the room and the pool area has its own towels for your use there. There is a basketball hoop for the kids to play on, grills to cook on also. It was a very close driving distance to all the major theme parks, restaurants and shopping areas. It is not on I-drive but off of it on Canada Avenue so there was not a lot of traffic on the street itself. We drove to restaurants at night and had no trouble at all. We ate at the Boston Lobster feast and Cafe Miero a brazilian steak restaurant both were awesome and only 5-10 minutes away on International Drive.There are two free shuttles I believe that you can take to the theme parks. We did not use them as we were not going to the parks but I think there was a time limit when they came back at night. The hotel was filled to capacity with many families so there were a lot of kids but they never made noise or ran around. They do try to sell you time shares to the owners other property, but all you have to say is no thank you and they left you alone. The pool area is really nice and you can sit outside to eat your daily hot breakfast that is free or you can chose to just stay inside and eat at one of the tables. Coffee was tasty as were the two breakfast's we had eaten. One day it was ham and eggs with grits, white toast, bagels, waffles, all kinds of jellies and butter. Many kinds of refreshing juices and teas. The other day it was eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, yogurt, banana's, bagels, toast and waffles. That in it self was a plus because it got you started for the day on a full stomach and it was all free. The only negative thing I could tell the hotel or others is the pool is sort of small but nice, couch in the living room area was so low to the ground that we could not get up easily and there needs to be another sitting chair in the living area because you only have the low couch and the four chair kitchen set to sit on. You could drag the bedroom chair out there but we didn't as one of us was always sitting there working with the free fast WIFI. I did not agree with some of the negatives people wrote on here but everyone has their own opinion. We are picky people and speak up if something is not to our liking. We never had to do this here it truly was a great stay. We have to admit yes we would highly recommend this hotel and yes we will be booking it again when we visit Orlando.

Room Tip: Room 119 first floor suite loved its location great room! Short walk to the breakfast dining area, p...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed 5-star review. We are very glad to hear you highly recommend our hotel and will be booking us again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Pleasantville NY, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This 6-story hotel has reasonably spacious suites, with the two-queen bedroom having doors to both the bathroom and the living room, a full kitchen, fridge and 4-seat dining table, adjacent living room space with a queen-size pullout couch, and a small pool. At $140 a night with tax, that's fairly cheap to be within a few miles of Universal theme park.

Now some of the negatives: long halls with only one elevator can lead to long waits; the maids removed used towels without replacing them (the front desk responded quickly and hinted that they were not surprised), the complimentary breakfast was pretty poor (It tempted me to give this hotel a "Poor" rating) - no fruit, gelatin-like (yoplait?) yogurt, non-fresh waffles and bagels that required toasting, undrinkable coffee (NYC vendor coffee is better), and hot water for tea that tasted like it had been stored in an urn used for making coffee. This hotel can be much better, but the owners or managers seem either to not care or are oblivious.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our premium location and spacious suites as we have taken note of your feedback regarding our amenities. We hope to be able to welcome you back again on your next trip to Orlando!

Been to StaySky Suites I-Drive Orlando? Share your experiences!